Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best autosteer/ autopilot equivalent system on the market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which car or manufacturer’s autoseer and autopilot equivalent is the best on the market today? If Tesla is taking two steps backwards by removing radar, USS, vision only not being ready or good enough, phantom braking all the time and in dangerous ways, apemode vipers to clean windshield in snow and rain and yet autopilot not really working…. list goes in…. and not being ready for prime time, what is/are the best most advanced alternative that is better?

I think OpenPilot is great. Hands free AP for days.... compatible with a bunch of cars. Its a 3rd party option and I think is like $2500 these days (technically its free if you wanted to do a lot of integration yourself, but a company sells a product that does all of that for you so its plug and play). I have an older version in my 2017 Prius Prime. Its nowhere near as good as Tesla on side roads, but its amazing on highways. You never have to touch the wheel. Went literally hours without a nag on a long, boring trip across the US.

I will say Teslas is safer, but much more intrusive. With OpenPilot, you need to pay more attention, but with your hands, arms, and legs relaxed, its really nice to just look around. I can only describe the experience as pleasant.

Reactions: BQst and ss——
Upvote 0
Which car or manufacturer’s autoseer and autopilot equivalent is the best on the market today? If Tesla is taking two steps backwards by removing radar, USS, vision only not being ready or good enough, phantom braking all the time and in dangerous ways, apemode vipers to clean windshield in snow and rain and yet autopilot not really working…. list goes in…. and not being ready for prime time, what is/are the best most advanced alternative that is better?

I don't know about "best." Still, after picking up Lucid Grand Touring from Orange County and returning to Central Valley yesterday, we encountered thick fog in the dark around 6:30 PM while coming down the Tejon Pass Mountain on I-5N.

The Lucid's ADAS (Adaptive Cruise and AutoSteer) worked flawlessly without skipping a beat. In contrast, the 2017 Model X's FSD, still with radar and sonars active, suddenly complained of poor visibility and refused to work, which required manual driving until the fog lifted at the junction of I-5N and CA-99N.

Since the announcement of DreamDrive Pro in March 2022, Lucid DreamDrive Pro can only do Adaptive Cruise and AutoSteer on the covered highway so far. If an area is not covered, such as city streets, only Adaptive Cruise functions, not AutoSteer.

Whatever little function Lucid currently has, my 220-mile trip yesterday was solid. Zero phantom brakes so far. Its disadvantage is it is not a generalized system like Tesla's Autopilot/FSD claimed to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: ss——
Upvote 0

This guy compares FSD to SuperCruise and Bluecruise, and declares Supercruise the best. This is super dumb when he used autopilot and FSD, and then bitched about FSD on city streets when the other ones can’t do the same!

• Funny
Reactions: ss——
Upvote 0