Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Comments on EV Stories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Have you tried reading the comments on any story about EV's in the mainstream press. Particularly the Daily Mail.
They are sooo funny. give it a go and post the best ones here.

Here are some genuine ones from today:

" What they don't tell you is: if you want to keep the batteries in good health you must fully discharge them at least once a week. That happens usually when you are nowhere near to a charging point.""

"You are likely to be receive a 3.5k bill every 4 years or so to replace the lead batteries on these electrical monstrosities"

One of my work colleagues asked why can't my car just recharge itself while moving...surely you can just connect something to the wheel and recharge the battery as you move along, then you would never need to plug in to charge...much frustration and trying to explain GCSE physics (conservation of energy) to him I just gave up, he was adamant he was right and everyone else was just a bit thick for not realising what he had

The father in law has decided they are all silent killers as we will all be running people over whilst fiddling around with the iPad screen and not watching the road.

He cannot accept how you are not able to switch off the car completely whilst sitting in it like you would with an ice car and you walk away with it ‘on’ and hope it locks and turns off!

That’s just one person. I have dozens of these. This thread will be a ten pager by Sunday.

did you know that all EV chargers are actually powered by diesel generators?

Your EV will travel further on the electricity from a gallon put into a knackered home-generator than the average Diesel car will drive on a single gallon :) [generator runs at optimum REVs, car has to have emissions control for full range of Revs]

Tesla Model S charged with diesel generator still pollutes less than a diesel sedan - Electrek

(EV will travel further on the energy used to make a gallon of Petrol than the average ICE will drive on a refined gallon)

One of my work colleagues asked why can't my car just recharge itself while moving

Whilst having my tyres changed someone in the queue with an ICE said "Does it charge from Alternator?"

The "lowly" tyre fitted said "No mate, that would be perpetual motion".

ICE driver : <BlankLook>

:)

One of my work colleagues asked why can't my car just recharge itself while moving...surely you can just connect something to the wheel and recharge the battery as you move along, then you would never need to plug in to charge...much frustration and trying to explain GCSE physics (conservation of energy) to him I just gave up, he was adamant he was right and everyone else was just a bit thick for not realising what he had

I've only had an EV for a fortnight and I've had this one twice already. I really really hope my weekly average goes down...

It does make me wonder what message is really being received from the marketing of Toyota et al's "self charging hybrids".

Daily Mail yesterday - "Electric vehicles depreciate twice as quickly as petrol cars and almost as fast as out-of-favour diesels". Whilst the general point being made is fair (based on an Irish study), this table from the article itself shows that the magnitude of it is not what the headline claims:

17779524-7402405-image-m-83_1566986572301.jpg

The BMW 330e depreciates by 53%, but it's a real light-touch PHEV. However, the Volvo XC90 T8 is pretty much the same tech, but that's only 31%. I contend that the large depreciation of the 330e probably has more to do with the fact that the 3-series has just had a complete new model released (F30 -> G20).

Also, the average depreciation for any car over 3 years is about 50% (e.g. Calculate Car Depreciation By Make and Model), so it's really not a particularly balanced article. Average Audi depreciation is 40% for example, almost exactly the same as the Model S.

Last edited:
Reactions: vitesse
I've only had an EV for a fortnight and I've had this one twice already. I really really hope my weekly average goes down...

It does make me wonder what message is really being received from the marketing of Toyota et al's "self charging hybrids".

This made me laugh! Sums it up for me nicely

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190829-081125_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20190829-081125_WhatsApp.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 155

Technically that's what regen does. It's been done in one case with an ore carrier in a mine somewhere. But unless you're going to run your car up and down the sides of a mine you still need to charge :p

Technically that's what regen does. It's been done in one case with an ore carrier in a mine somewhere. But unless you're going to run your car up and down the sides of a mine you still need to charge :p
Unless there are no energy loses due to friction, air resistance etc, you'll need to charge in any case. In the real world, perpetual motion is a physics unicorn.

Just read an Australian article that EVs produce more CO2 than petrol cars... Mainly because they use coal to generate 80% of the electricity.

Its a narrow view, of course, because it assumes that driver chooses to use Coal-electricity, but even if they have no choice then almost certain that their fuel will green-up during vehicle's lifetime ... whereas pollution from ICE will deteriorate as parts wear etc.

Unless there are no energy loses due to friction, air resistance etc, you'll need to charge in any case.

In the case mentioned the ore hauling truck came down the hill full and went back uphill empty, so regen on the way down was all it ended to recharge.

e-Dumper all electric mining truck becoming a reality in Switzerland - International Mining

Also a railway in Scandinavia that carries mined coal (I think?) from top of the mountain to bottom, and generates more in regen on the way down that it uses on the way back up empty

But definitely a couple of Unicorns ... unless I can find a location to work at which is downhill both ways :)

• Funny
Reactions: Exy1 and Spacep0d