Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best eating options at Superchargers on I5 Central Valley

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
Had to choose between this thread and the Harris Ranch thread to pose the following -

Can any of you I-5 regulars apprise us of what you think the better eating options are between, say, Sta Clarita and either Harris Ranch or Paso Robles? Will be heading toward Monterey in very short order (so can choose when to make the hop between I05 and 101). And....

1. I've read all this thread's posts regarding establishments here.
2. I've explored Tejon Ranch last summer - I think I chose a Chipotle; not sure. Overwhelmingly unimpressed.
3. I've eaten at Harris. I'd consider it as "okay - could return".
4. NOT interested in fine dining. When on long-distance runs, the last thing I need to do is have a good steak & wine. Rather, our preference is for light and vegetarian; no booze. But that's just my druthers.

And, on edit: now moved out of a SpC-specific thread to its own site. Thanks to all involved.

Last edited:
Bravo Farms is right across the street from the new 40-stall Kettleman City supercharger/lounge. Not exactly amazing or anything, but decent in that I-5 touristy truck stop kinda way. Kettleman City - Bravo Farms

Choices are better on 101... Firestone Walker has a restaurant/brewery about a quarter mile from the Buellton supercharger. Good food with some vegetarian options and decent beer. Firestone Walker Brewing Company - Buellton

Back Porch Bakery is an easy walk from the Atascadero supercharger... they have amazing sandwiches and baked goods. Back Porch Bakery
Lots of other choices around this area too. Probably has the most variety.

What's wrong with PB&J packed from home??? The only problem is that with less than one year in the Tesla my wife will not all food and drink in the car (except water) so have to wait for SC to eat anything. No crumbs allowed in the car, lol.:(

Interstate 5 is pretty slim pickens for decent fare. It is mostly fast food. The Jack Ranch Cafe at Cholame (near where James Dean crashed in '55) has reasonable sit-down food from what I hear. Cholame is about 30 miles east of Paso on SR41/46.

There are a number of good places in El Paso de Robles itself, but I would defer to a local.

• Helpful
Reactions: SDRick
If you can manage it, there are some opportunities for fine Santa Maria-style tri tip with all the fixins along that stretch. However, a cooler may be in order.

Northbound - easiest would be to stop in Oxnard (El Pollo Norteño - not fancy, but respectable tri tip - they'll sell you a whole sliced one with beans, salsa, and tortillas for under $20). Thing is, that's not quite to the 5 and only makes sense if you're taking the scenic route up/back.

Southbound - as noted above, Firestone is worth a stop - especially during those few days/week that their smaller Barrelworks room is open/serving. Note the cooler in the corner for vintage beverages - or beverage vintages, as the case may be. Food is decent.

For the 5 proper, how could you resist the In-N-Out down the street from the Kettleman City SC for a proper to-go order before charging?

If you want healthy, well... I'd load up in the Bay Area and rely upon the cooler - for you see, I believe kale is illegal along the inland I-5 corridor.

If going 101 I'll suggest stopping in at Atascadero to charge and walk to dining at Streetside Ale House. Half the restaurant is the eatery the other half is the bar. They have vegetarian and gluten free items on their menu. We thought the food was very good and nice atmosphere, casual, to relax in. Just up the street from Sylvester's Burgers.

Here's their website: My Site

And Menu: https://www.streetsidealehouse.com/uploads/5/6/5/2/56522479/final_final_menu_8-2.pdf

Last edited:
Again along 101 but south of Paso Robles/Atascadero so not sure if that's too far south for you, but if you are looking for a wider range of vegetarian Bliss Cafe in San Luis Obisbo might appeal to you. Home

Depending on time of day traffic in town can eat into your travel time and last time we were there we had to search around for parking. No Supercharging in SLO yet (although the Madona Inn exit location is under construction now). But a nice area downtown to walk around.

Last edited:
Doing a trip to Grass Valley and back. Going via I-5 but would like to return on 99 (need to go east on 58). Are there sufficient superchargers to get from 99 to the SC at Mojave? What are best eating spots on 99?--Don’t want to start a new thread and this is close.

Doing a trip to Grass Valley and back. Going via I-5 but would like to return on 99 (need to go east on 58). Are there sufficient superchargers to get from 99 to the SC at Mojave? What are best eating spots on 99?--Don’t want to start a new thread and this is close.

You can charge in Roseville or Rocklin and make the Fresno SC with an 85 or larger battery. A smaller battery would probably need to top off in Manteca for about 15 minutes.

I can make it from our house in Fresno (4 miles from the SC) to Mojave without stopping. We have a '14 S85 with RWD. I keep my speed to 65-68 down 99 and about the same on 58 east of Bakersfield until Gen. Beale Road. I take it sorta easy climbing the grade until just past Keene then drive the speed limit until I reach Mojave.

I usually leave home with 95% and reach Mojave with 14-16%.

Or you might consider the scenic way home and take 395. Grass Valley-->Truckee SC(or could make Reno SC)-->Topaz Lake SC-->Mammoth Lakes SC-->Lone Pine SC (maybe even Inyokern SC--all downhill)-->Inyokern SC-->home.

I actually might try 395. Pretty drive. They really need to put in the promised SC in Central Bako by 99. 380,000 in Bako and not one SC in the city. All things being equal, How much longer to take 395 than 99?

That I cannot answer definitively. You could try to dodge Reno and leave Truckee via SR89 to south shore, then to Meyers, then continue on SR89 through Markleeville and over Monitor Pass down to 395. A short jog north to the Topaz Lake Supercharger (<7 miles) then continue south on 395 home.

I actually might try 395. Pretty drive. They really need to put in the promised SC in Central Bako by 99. 380,000 in Bako and not one SC in the city. All things being equal, How much longer to take 395 than 99?

I've made the trip from Grass Valley over the Sierras and down 395 to the desert many times. It takes 45 - 60 minutes longer than 99. If you have the time, it's a much more pleasant route. You can use evtripplanner.com to plan out your trip. To make it use 395 for your route, drag the highlighted route from 99 over to 395. Then you can plan your charging stops. With a 90D you should be able to charge at Gardnerville (Topaz Lake) and Lone Pine to get back to Apple Valley.

The way I prefer to go, given the time, is from Grass Valley go to Truckee, south around the east side of Lake Tahoe toward State Line then up and over Kingsbury Grade and down to Gardnerville, then south on 395. Going over Kingsbury Grade bypasses the sometimes heavy traffic between Carson City and Gardnervile, plus it's much more scenic.

Technically it's an hour longer driving wise but ...

It would depend on charger spacing for your car, if there is no weather issues (Spooner Summit and Donner Pass).