Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best economy, cruise control or mild hypermile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE

I noticed the Tesla web site has a cool range calculator that shows your range based on speed, temperature, tires, and A/C on/off.[/QUOTE]

I asked on another thread about the accuracy of this calculator. Can any Model S owners comment on this? I would like to know what actual drivers have seen.

Dan

[QUOTE

I noticed the Tesla web site has a cool range calculator that shows your range based on speed, temperature, tires, and A/C on/off.

I asked on another thread about the accuracy of this calculator. Can any Model S owners comment on this? I would like to know what actual drivers have seen.[/QUOTE]

It's as accurate as anything like this can be, but really, the trip graph is the best indicator because it's in real time. (Lifetime average 247 Wh/mi over 68K miles)

This thread has seemed to change to 'the joys of EV acceleration' of what I have read so I'll keep my comments about EV fuel economy on the highway brief:
  1. lower speeds encounter less aero resistance. That is not 'hypermiling,' that is driving slower
  2. Avoid situations that result in using the brakes. That is not 'hypermiling,' that is common sense
  3. ICE cars have a fairly narrow maximum efficiency mostly dictated by torque and speed. Hypermiling is keeping the engine in that range rather than a constant speed. It is possible with CC on flats but not hilly terrain.

Reactions: navguy12
That is the scenario I'll face with the Model 3 and a round trip to Toronto airport to drop off/pick up my wife when she travels.
It's 265 km round trip and the current stated rating is 243ish km. I'll contemplate a larger battery if that option is available and not cost prohibitive, but if employing techniques that satisfy a once every 60 day scenario without extra cost, then that is the way I'll go.

215 miles is about 346km. It doesn't seem like you'll have a problem even without a battery upgrade, or am I missing something?

215 miles is about 346km. It doesn't seem like you'll have a problem even without a battery upgrade, or am I missing something?
That will be true when the car is new, but the larger battery will give a longer service life before it no longer is able to go the distance. Of course, it won't be a problem if you trade in frequently.

I was mistyping my round trip distance. My home to airport to home round trip distance is 365 km. The estimated 346km range will become an issue with any HVAC call for heat and the whole trip is on a 100 kph freeway. I have no issues with the 100 kph, it's the need for a strategy to get back home, 19 kms farther than the estimated EPA range.

That will be true when the car is new, but the larger battery will give a longer service life before it no longer is able to go the distance. Of course, it won't be a problem if you trade in frequently.
I don't trade in frequently. I plan to own my M3 for 10 years as is typical with my vehicles in the past.
My first option will be the biggest battery upgrade I can get, followed by supercharger access. If the budget allows, then a cold weather package.

Reactions: jerry33

Thanks. Could anyone point me to some Model S data on battery degradation? I'm curious what the real world experience has been.

As best I can tell, mine is between 3% and 5% for three years and 68K miles (103K km).
Thanks for that data point. All I hear from locals is how Tesla's batteries lose 50% after 5 years, but I can never quote a sane reply.

Do you do something special, such as only charge to 80% SOC, limit supercharger use to actual long range trips only, things like that. Thanks. Cheers

Not wanting to argue, as you have a right to your opinion. And I agree, I am a scofflaw. When going down the freeway in a 65 mph zone, pretty much all the traffic is doing 80, so at least I have company, and generally the "law" doesn't bother anyone unless they are changing lanes and doing 100. But that's CA...
So that's why the cars with California plates go blasting past while most of the locals like me are chilling at around the speed limit and in no particular hurry. Now I know!
Drive I5 from Seatac to Seattle and you'll change your opinion. You can visualize the hills in the energy app clearly when you use cruise control for that route.
Hmm, there are hills and then there are HILLS, I guess:

26752695946_6c62f942fe_z.jpg

;)

All I hear from locals is how Tesla's batteries lose 50% after 5 years, but I can never quote a sane reply.
Here's a sane reply:
1. For Roadsters, check with TomSax. I believe his data shows much less than 50% loss in 5 years.
2. For Model S, the oldest (customer) Model S is not even 4 years old yet. Your "locals" are premature in making assertions about the 5 year behavior for items that haven't been around for 5 years.
3. For Model X, the oldest (customer) Model X is not even 6 months old yet. Your "locals" are premature in making assertions about the 5 year behavior for items that haven't been around for 5 years.
4. For Model 3, no customers have taken delivery and won't for at least 15 months. Your "locals" are premature in making assertions about the 5 year behavior for items that don't even exist yet.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that data point. All I hear from locals is how Tesla's batteries lose 50% after 5 years, but I can never quote a sane reply.

Do you do something special, such as only charge to 80% SOC, limit supercharger use to actual long range trips only, things like that. Thanks. Cheers

I did 80% for a couple of years, and will still do 80% when it gets very hot (over 35 C) but doing 80% messes up the balance, so I do 90% now (and have gained a few miles back). It would be out of the way to use an SC locally so I don't do that--even if there was one at the end of the block I wouldn't because it's so much more convenient to plug in at home. About 50% of my miles are vacation or other trips, so I do see plenty of SC use. If you check the what's your 90 thread, you'll see that I'm not alone and there appear to be several who are doing better than I am.

To answer the "50% after 5 years" question, I think they have the Tesla mixed up with the Leaf.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Here's a sane reply:
1. For Roadsters, check with TomSax. I believe his data shows much less than 50% loss in 5 years.
2. For Model S, the oldest (customer) Model S is not even 4 years old yet. Your "locals" are premature in making assertions about the 5 year behavior for items that haven't been around for 5 years.
3. For Model X, the oldest (customer) Model X is not even 6 months old yet. Your "locals" are premature in making assertions about the 5 year behavior for items that haven't been around for 5 years.
4. For Model 3, no customers have taken delivery and won't for at least 15 months. Your "locals" are premature in making assertions about the 5 year behavior for items that don't even exist yet.

Hope this helps.
Much thanks. As stated to another chap, I live in an area that is not noted for progressive views on the environment, etc.....