Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best gas vs electric calculator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of selling my spouse on a M3. I'm trying to do a fair comparison on the cost of driving 20,000 per year electric vs gas. I have the gas costs nailed down but I can't seem to find a good calculator to figure the electric cost. I know my cost for electric is $ 0.10828 per Kw at my home. Maybe $.30 for supercharger? 95/05 split between home and supercharger. So I guess if she drives reasonable what Kw per mile would be reasonable? We live in CO.

per Supercharging it's 26 cents per kWh at superchargers in the US. And you know you're home rate. So, just add a little more for efficiency lost while charging (extra 10-15%) and you'll be able to see how much it'll cost you.

And yes, you'll need to know which car you get as their driving efficiency is different. I've had my LR RWD w/ AERO for 9 months and I'm at about 237 watts per mile so far and as we're getting into better weather it's going down steadily. So when August comes around I'll have a better idea what the average will be for a year, but I'm guessing it'll be in the 225ish range, hopefully lower.

/edit forgot to mention, you'll use more battery in the winter than I did since I'm from Central CA. The lows here in winter are about 30ish Fahrenheit.

There are other variables too. My winter AWD WH/mi were more like 330 or 340 if i remember correctly. However, my commute is short so the heater was blasting trying to heat the cabin on a short drive. Longer drives would have been more efficient as would using the seat heaters. Personally, the difference compared to my old ICE is so huge I don't care. At first I calculated $150/year for home charging. Once I discovered how cheap it is to drive and how much fun it is to punch it I started guessing $250/year to account for acceleration fun. That compares to $40 per week for my old ICE.

I'm in the process of selling my spouse on a M3. I'm trying to do a fair comparison on the cost of driving 20,000 per year electric vs gas. I have the gas costs nailed down but I can't seem to find a good calculator to figure the electric cost. I know my cost for electric is $ 0.10828 per Kw at my home. Maybe $.30 for supercharger? 95/05 split between home and supercharger. So I guess if she drives reasonable what Kw per mile would be reasonable? We live in CO.

If she doesn't agree, then you can just change the statement "I'm in the process of selling my spouse on a M3" to "I'm in the process of selling my spouse FOR an M3" ;)

While variables as mentioned are an issue, in the summer 2.5 cents/mile is a reasonable rule of thumb for 10c/kWh pricing. Winter the variables get a lot wider, it'd depend a LOT on when you drive and how much you use HVAC (vs seat heaters to start, and then fresh air on the windshield only). CO can certainly get cool but normally is also quite dry. Others here living in CO have suggest maybe 20% efficiency loss is "normal" but it could be more if you do a lot of short runs, only a handful of miles at a time, and don't have the vehicle in a garage.

For Supercharging it is going to matter a lot which state you're traveling in. The per min states are actually a lot cheaper than they seem to be as long as you're not charging above about 75%, and even more so if you don't go above 65%, which is normal for long distance trips. My trips have been about 4c/mile, mixed per kWh and per min but mostly per min. Although some of that was predated the price bump/adjustments, so 5c/mile is more likely going to be the norm. A lot of the state east side of the Rockies are per min, so I'm guessing you'll see a similar mix.

FYI I don't do anything resembling hypermiling, and I drive an AWD. If you have a RWD you're very likely going to see better than that.

Last edited:
What is your fuel usage & cost for your current ICE?
Cost of oil changes?
Averaged cost of other service? (timing belts, transmission fluid etc)
Cost of a brake job? (about 1/2 as frequent in an EV)

With our Smart EV, just for gasoline, I 'measured' the following:
  • 22500 km / yr (450km / week, 50 weeks)
  • 1.26 / L for regular
  • 9 L / 100 km in our old Mazda 3
  • 0.18 per kWh electricity rates, with delivery charges
  • About $18 per month delta in our electricity costs
Which roughly worked out to 2000-2500 savings per year depending on rate fluctuations and temperature etc.

Then there are all the savings in other areas. The delta would be higher if you have to use premium dino juice for your current ride.

Reactions: patrick80132
What is your fuel usage & cost for your current ICE?
Cost of oil changes?
Averaged cost of other service? (timing belts, transmission fluid etc)
Cost of a brake job? (about 1/2 as frequent in an EV)

With our Smart EV, just for gasoline, I 'measured' the following:
  • 22500 km / yr (450km / week, 50 weeks)
  • 1.26 / L for regular
  • 9 L / 100 km in our old Mazda 3
  • 0.18 per kWh electricity rates, with delivery charges
  • About $18 per month delta in our electricity costs
Which roughly worked out to 2000-2500 savings per year depending on rate fluctuations and temperature etc.

Then there are all the savings in other areas. The delta would be higher if you have to use premium dino juice for your current ride.
My ICE costs including premium fuel for my Audi A4 quattro, assuming no major breakdowns (I am not assuming since I have had a couple already) is $11,262 over 3 years.

My ICE costs including premium fuel for my Audi A4 quattro, assuming no major breakdowns (I am not assuming since I have had a couple already) is $11,262 over 3 years.
Yeah, 10-12 cents/mile is quite reasonable ballpark for a ICE car. A decent rule of thumb is saving 6c/mile on fuel with the Model 3, so that's about right here if maybe a bit conservative. So about $1200/year (20,000 x $0.06), AKA $100/month, for you.

Long range AWD with the Aero wheels. Standard wheels I believe 18"? I want the smoothest ride possible.
Smoothest ride, 41 or 42 psi in tires. Best mileage, 45 psi. It definitely makes a difference. I happen to like the feel at 45 psi. I think the handling feels crisper. IT's probably just the steering that improves. The site Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com is great for range tradeoffs and indirectly watt hours per mile. More than on an ICE, weather affects range. Rain definitely hurts. It's like flying a plane. I once lost over 20 knots of airspeed due to rain.

Also, don't forget to include oil changes in your cost savings.
I got quotes from the dealer for all scheduled services for the next 60,000 miles. That and fuel came to $11,262 over 3 years. That's assuming no breakdowns which I have already had a couple. Leaking tranny pan, drive shaft bearing, computer issue. All covered under CPO warranty but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Smoothest ride, 41 or 42 psi in tires. Best mileage, 45 psi. It definitely makes a difference. I happen to like the feel at 45 psi. I think the handling feels crisper. IT's probably just the steering that improves.
There isn't really any discernible turn-in lag at 40 PSI, but if you ever get to the edge of lateral friction you're going to get there a good deal faster the more you go above about 38 PSI. If you drive very hard, like "not on public roads" hard you'll quickly find they feel "greasy" as you go over 38PSI. 45PSI is right out for that. How often that comes up when you are driving on public roads is highly dependent on what you're choosing to do. :)

More likely it is road feel, the extra few pounds brings out a lot more of the little ledges, bumps, and unevenness that pretty much all roads have. It does feel pretty "exciting" but it isn't really performance enhancing in a material way.

You could use the DOE FuelEconomy.gov figures of kWh per 100 miles:

Fuel Economy of 2019 Tesla Model 3

So, 25kWh/100 miles is 4 miles per kWh for the SR+ Model 3. So, to drive 12,000 miles a year, is 3,000 kWh annually. Add about 15% for charging losses to be conservative and you're at 3,450 kWh annually. It's an authoritative source you can reference if the wife asks.

And, don't forget ICE oil/filter changes, engine air filter changes, emissions testing (if you have that), coolant system flushes, etc.

The SuperChargers I visit are typically $.25/kWh which is about double my home cost if I had to pay for electricity (I have solar, so I don't).

There isn't really any discernible turn-in lag at 40 PSI, but if you ever get to the edge of lateral friction you're going to get there a good deal faster the more you go above about 38 PSI. If you drive very hard, like "not on public roads" hard you'll quickly find they feel "greasy" as you go over 38PSI. 45PSI is right out for that. How often that comes up when you are driving on public roads is highly dependent on what you're choosing to do. :)

More likely it is road feel, the extra few pounds brings out a lot more of the little ledges, bumps, and unevenness that pretty much all roads have. It does feel pretty "exciting" but it isn't really performance enhancing in a material way.
You may be right. I haven't pushed either car near its limits. The RWD feels a little better in the steering but that is probably me being used to RWD cars.

You may be right. I haven't pushed either car near its limits. The RWD feels a little better in the steering but that is probably me being used to RWD cars.
Ah, I haven't driven the RWD much but it could be that the higher pressure is allowing rear wheels to slip and give a bit of oversteer bias? If you're ok with that feel then sure it could be helping in that way.