Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Guess on when delivery time for a Model Y will fall to 6-9 weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm reading a couple of articles right, the Model 3 started dribbling out in Fall 2017, dropping to a 6 month wait by Fall 2018 and a 2 week wait by Spring 2019. Now it seems to be back up to 6-9 weeks. I'm assuming that there was more demand and deposits for the 3 than there will be for the Y (which could be wrong), and that they will gear up production run rate faster for the Y than they did the 3 (which is probably right and should offset even if there is more demand). So I'm thinking if they start dribbling out the Y in late March, by 9 months later, they should have burned through the deposits and be taking new orders fairly quickly?

Thinking about some numbers, I've seen info that said 400k Model 3 deposits of which a fair portion cancel or don't follow through. Assuming Y is about 50-75% of 3 deposits and about 20% bail on their place in line, and they start cranking out in anything close to the 500k they said in earnings call by end of year, a fair portion of that 500k should be Ys, so if they are making 125k total cars per quarter, maybe 40k of them going forward are Ys? With maybe 100k Ys made by year end as they ramp up? So by year end, they should be burning through end of deposits and start taking orders for 2021 early delivery?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Until the other Gigafactories are up and running and producing Model Ys production will be constrained. Likely demand for the 3 will drop dramatically, so Fremont can switch to building more Y. But even with relatively lower demand Model 3 they only have the capacity to build by region. That is first month of quarter, they build mostly for EU and Asia because of shipping times, and 3rd month of quarter mostly for North America. I don't see this changing until the additional GigaFactories are full up to speed.