Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Hitch (Bike Focused)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched and read all the posts regarding both the TorkLift Ecohitch and the Stealth Hitches offering.

Torklift Ecohitch
55lbs
2 in receiver
Rated for 200 pounds tongue weight and 2,000 pounds towing weigh

Stealth Hitches
28.1lbs permanently added to car
37.3lbs added to car with hitch receiver attached
2 in receiver can be removed if not needed.

Both are currently the same prices @ around $400 with various promotions I see are available.

I need a hitch only for carrying bikes. Currently I have a Thule T2 rack which is 50 lbs but I may get a One Up rack so I can use it as a single tray so as not to interfere with rear camera. If I go that route I'll sometimes be adding another tray for friends or kids bikes. I'm coming from a 4Runner which made all this easy but TM3 is certainly robust enough to carry 3 bikes.

Any opinions on which is best? Or is it as they seems that they are very similar. I'm leaning towards the Stealth Hitches product right now but only because it is lighter weight but that is not a large difference in terms of overall vehicle weight.

I've got a T2. I use it on our SUV and also on our trailer RV. For the TM3 I got a SeaSucker Bomber rack (3 bikes). I love it. It's super easy to mount and works great. No interference with back-up camera or proximity sensors. If it's just me going biking, I actually just fold down the rear seats and toss my bike in there. It's a large, fully-suspended 29"r and fits easily. I just toss a packing blanket in the cargo area first in case I wind up going through a bunch of mud. However, for 2-3 riders, the SeaSucker Bomber is da' bomb!

For my canoe and paddleboards I got the folding SeaSucker Monkey Bars. It's worked great too. I got the folding ones as there's no way to lock the rack to the vehicle, so they are placed in the car while I'm canoeing/paddleboarding. I'd hate to return to the car with my roof rack stolen!

This past summer I've drive 900 km with the canoe, 500 with paddleboard, and done more trips with the bikes than I can possibly count, at least 2-3 times per week. Never a problem.

This winter I'm giving serious thought to mounting a roof box to the Monkey Bars to go skiing. I've corresponded with SeaSucker and they figure it shouldn't be a problem; however, they're out of FLA and I'm not sure they realize how cold it can get here. I'd be worried about driving highway speeds (110 kph limit) at -25C. Not sure how well the suction cups would work then. Also, what to do about the unsecured roof box and rack in the parking lot at the ski hill?
seasucker rack.jpg
seasucker canoe.jpg

Impressive how well the suction cups appear to work. For the canoe, what are the front tie-downs attached to? Do they just clip/hook to the lip of the frunk? If so then the frank may not be all that weak.

Impressive how well the suction cups appear to work. For the canoe, what are the front tie-downs attached to? Do they just clip/hook to the lip of the frunk? If so then the frank may not be all that weak.
These are what I use for the front of the canoe. The tubes are squishable, but fairly stiff - about like a really tough garden hose. They simply get closed in the front hood of a vehicle with the straps hanging out. The canoe is really held down by the strapping over the canoe and around the racks. The front tie-down is just a fail-safe. If I ever saw the canoe shift, I'd pull-over immediately and redo the strapping.

• Informative
Reactions: KootsChewt
I have the Torklift Ecohitch combined with a 1up USA rack

I keep the rack off while I’m not biking because it does interfere with the proximity sensors when backing up.
Other than that I love the combination.

I even removed the hitch for a road trip since I wasn’t going to tow anything and wanted the clean look on the car

I'm also still heavily debating this. I really like the cover option that Torklift sells, to make sure I don't get a ton of snow and debris up inside the bumper cover. I had that on my Model S. It does come out overall more expensive though once adding that in, so I dunno...

I have the Torklift Ecohitch combined with a 1up USA rack

I keep the rack off while I’m not biking because it does interfere with the proximity sensors when backing up.
Other than that I love the combination.

I even removed the hitch for a road trip since I wasn’t going to tow anything and wanted the clean look on the car

Thanks for the input. When you backup with the 1up installed but folded away what is the behavior with the blocked sensors? In season I ride 5-6 times per week so taking the rack on and off is not happening. Winter time it will be uninstalled unless needed.

One reason I like the Stealth Hitch is that you can remove the receiver but it looks like this can happen too with the Torklift? Somewhat ambiguous on their site. Never mind, just watched their install video and it is evident that the receiver can be removed as well and the main hitch stays installed to subframe.

I'm also still heavily debating this. I really like the cover option that Torklift sells, to make sure I don't get a ton of snow and debris up inside the bumper cover. I had that on my Model S. It does come out overall more expensive though once adding that in, so I dunno...

I had to search Torklifts site to find the cover.

Found it though, definitely a nicely made piece if a bit expensive at $98. Does make the Torklift more appealing though. Would certainly be nice for the winter to keep grime out.

I've got a T2. I use it on our SUV and also on our trailer RV. For the TM3 I got a SeaSucker Bomber rack (3 bikes). I love it. It's super easy to mount and works great. No interference with back-up camera or proximity sensors. If it's just me going biking, I actually just fold down the rear seats and toss my bike in there. It's a large, fully-suspended 29"r and fits easily. I just toss a packing blanket in the cargo area first in case I wind up going through a bunch of mud. However, for 2-3 riders, the SeaSucker Bomber is da' bomb!

For my canoe and paddleboards I got the folding SeaSucker Monkey Bars. It's worked great too. I got the folding ones as there's no way to lock the rack to the vehicle, so they are placed in the car while I'm canoeing/paddleboarding. I'd hate to return to the car with my roof rack stolen!

This past summer I've drive 900 km with the canoe, 500 with paddleboard, and done more trips with the bikes than I can possibly count, at least 2-3 times per week. Never a problem.

This winter I'm giving serious thought to mounting a roof box to the Monkey Bars to go skiing. I've corresponded with SeaSucker and they figure it shouldn't be a problem; however, they're out of FLA and I'm not sure they realize how cold it can get here. I'd be worried about driving highway speeds (110 kph limit) at -25C. Not sure how well the suction cups would work then. Also, what to do about the unsecured roof box and rack in the parking lot at the ski hill?

If you do mount a roof box on the Monkey Bars this winter definitely let us know I'd be interested in doing that as well. Would make a snow tire shod dual motor pretty much an awesome skimobile.

I'm not interested in doing bikes on the roof just due to my limited time to ride and riding frequency. With two young kids, etc I only get small windows oftentimes and have to be efficient. I often will preload my bike or leave it on the rack before or after riding.

I dig the canoe hauling setup!

Interesting - I've installed a couple Ecohitches on Model Ss. Was assuming that's what I was going to put on our new Model 3. We used to own a bike shop and have used T2s and 1-Ups pretty exclusively. I'm a fan of T2s on our van where weight isn't an issue, but do like the fact that the 1-Up is lighter for our Teslas.

When I first saw your post, I thought they were the same and were being sold under a different name. I was wrong and there does seem to be some key differences besides the ones you listed above. The receiver can be removed on both. They also both come in 1.25 versions, which is plenty for a bike rack. The installation is generally the same. The Ecohitch uses plastic washers as they had a rust issue before. The Stealth uses a mechanism that locks with a key. The Ecohitch just has a bolt that you could undo. If security is a concern, I would think the Stealth would be better. Lastly, I think the Ecohitch with the hitch installed doesn't protrude out as far as the Stealth. They don't have a side picture, but the reviews and the Model S version seem to show that it will stick out more. The Stealth looks to be really similar to the OEM Model X hitch in function and look.

I'm looking to buy a hitch for my Model 3 in the next couple of months, so I'm also looking for any details that may show one is better than the other.

I'm not interested in doing bikes on the roof just due to my limited time to ride and riding frequency. With two young kids, etc I only get small windows oftentimes and have to be efficient. I often will preload my bike or leave it on the rack before or after riding.

Now that I've done it a few times, it takes around 5 minutes to mount the roof rack and bikes. Not as fast as leaving them there, but far faster than any other setup I've had.

I keep a spray bottle and microfibre cloth in the trunk. Quick wipe down where the roof rack goes - few sprays of water and quick wipe with cloth. One spray on each suction cup. Put it on the roof and pump the air out. While I do this, my son is getting the bikes out of garage, taking the front wheels off the bikes and putting them in the trunk. I then mount the bikes on the roof. A quick wipe down of where the rear wheels land, spray the suction cups, put them on the roof, pump out the air and velcro the rear wheel in place. Done. Add 3-4 minutes if I have to get the bikes and remove the front wheels myself.

When I first saw your post, I thought they were the same and were being sold under a different name. I was wrong and there does seem to be some key differences besides the ones you listed above. The receiver can be removed on both. They also both come in 1.25 versions, which is plenty for a bike rack. The installation is generally the same. The Ecohitch uses plastic washers as they had a rust issue before. The Stealth uses a mechanism that locks with a key. The Ecohitch just has a bolt that you could undo. If security is a concern, I would think the Stealth would be better. Lastly, I think the Ecohitch with the hitch installed doesn't protrude out as far as the Stealth. They don't have a side picture, but the reviews and the Model S version seem to show that it will stick out more. The Stealth looks to be really similar to the OEM Model X hitch in function and look.

I'm looking to buy a hitch for my Model 3 in the next couple of months, so I'm also looking for any details that may show one is better than the other.

Yes, I agree that they are incredibly similar. I suppose that is bound to happen when designing around the constraints of the same car. I agree that 1.25 is plenty for bikes but I've already got a 2 in rack so I'll be getting a 2 in receiver, also I'll be carrying 3 bikes when my kids get bigger which I think a 2 in receiver is better suited due to cantilever effect.

Also agree the Ecohitch doesn't seem to protrude as far. Usually I'd say that's a plus but with the model 3 and it's size it might be better to have the receiver come out a bit farther so that hopefully the trunk could be opened with a bike mounted.

I'm still undecided, it doesn't seem there is a clear winner. I suppose that means you can't go wrong with either though. I might wait for Black Friday sales to purchase. My 3 comes this Thursday or Friday, was supposed to 12/18 but I can probably take some time off riding at "drive to" trails. Is supposed to be off season after all (I race competitive Enduro).

Another thing to consider is the pain of removing the receiver. I use my bikes on the hitch from March to July. I usually wouldn't remove the hitch during this time. The stealth hitch has a large cutout in the bumper due to the locking mechanism. I'm used to a fixed hitch from the likes of Curt and them costing $125-$150. I'm also waiting for a black friday deal as well. Please post if you find a deal. I'll do the same if I find something too.

Thanks for the input. When you backup with the 1up installed but folded away what is the behavior with the blocked sensors? In season I ride 5-6 times per week so taking the rack on and off is not happening. Winter time it will be uninstalled unless needed.

One reason I like the Stealth Hitch is that you can remove the receiver but it looks like this can happen too with the Torklift? Somewhat ambiguous on their site. Never mind, just watched their install video and it is evident that the receiver can be removed as well and the main hitch stays installed to subframe.

The behavior with the rack folded and you go in reverse is just that the car beeps like crazy, and shows on the screen that you have something behind you with red lines. that's all, the car moves without a problem. beeep beeeep beeep beeep beeep, sounds like one of those carts in the grocery stores when they backup. AH and new on V9 is that while you are driving with a bike on the rack, it thinks you have a person behind you, so it shows ghost people popping in and out of the screen.

I have the Torklift EcoHitch with a Kuat NV2.0. Works awesome. The Kuat with the tilt feature is super nice for opening the trunk with the bikes on. Can also open the trunk without any bikes and the rack in its upward, no-bike, travel position.

2018-11-05.jpg

When I have my 1up set for 3 bikes and the rack is folded, I cannot open my trunk, just need to move the rack to the middle setting to be able to open the trunk, No big deal. When a bike is on the rack, the trunk cannot be opened.
with the rack set for a single bike, folded it does not block the trunk at all.