Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was quite surprised to see that the Tesla home charger doesn’t qualify for the OLEV home charger grant, and I wondered what people would recommend as an alternative? I could just go with the Ovo one which comes free with their EV tariff but I’m not sure about it.

I’ll be charging at 7kw, and the charger will be outside and fully exposed to the elements. Ideally I’d like tethered, but that isn’t a deal breaker.

I was quite surprised to see that the Tesla home charger doesn’t qualify for the OLEV home charger grant

It never has, Tesla haven't bothered to go through the Red Tape to get it approved, it wasn't availability in UK at the outset, so maybe late-to-the-party and all that, and thus maybe Tesla decided it wasn't worth it; also: it doesn't have the Smart elements that are now a requirement for OLEV grant.

Tesla wall charger has some advantages (multi car load balancing, 3 phase capability [of no interest to most residential locations of course], and a button to open the charge door (more useful than it may seem as other alternatives to stop-charge and open-charging-port are more cumbersome), and the OLEV grant tends not to cover "as much as the charger itself" on installations, so worth comparing cost of e.g. a Tesla wall charger fitted by your local sparky and an Approved OLEV Installer and grant-qualifying charger

As @Compuguide mentioned I too suggest you start with that Google DOC

EVSE Options

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Baldrick and Roy W.
I was quite surprised to see that the Tesla home charger doesn’t qualify for the OLEV home charger grant, and I wondered what people would recommend as an alternative? I could just go with the Ovo one which comes free with their EV tariff but I’m not sure about it.

I’ll be charging at 7kw, and the charger will be outside and fully exposed to the elements. Ideally I’d like tethered, but that isn’t a deal breaker.
EO Charging | Smart electric vehicle charging

I discovered this UK company by accident and got a local firm to fit it- its small unobtrusive, sits at the side of the house ( outside) and does 7Kw/h- much better than some unsightly great plastic box..
Zappi chargers are smart and meant to be good too- Robert llewelyn did a review on the older models which are considerably better now i gather..
Happy hunting !

EO Charging | Smart electric vehicle charging

I discovered this UK company by accident and got a local firm to fit it- its small unobtrusive, sits at the side of the house ( outside) and does 7Kw/h- much better than some unsightly great plastic box..
Zappi chargers are smart and meant to be good too- Robert llewelyn did a review on the older models which are considerably better now i gather..
Happy hunting !
That EO looks great, but doesn't appear to be for sale without installation? I'm not eligible for the OLEV grant due to not having off street parking, so just looking at the hardware for my electrician to install. Looking at a Rolec currently, such as this one WallPod : EV charging unit | Type 2 Tethered | 16/32 Amp(3.6/7.2kW) | 5 Metre | IP65 |

OLEV grant - I have been told (by an installer) that OLEV grants are not available for connectors supplied by EV manufacturers. I don't know whether tht is true.
I like the look of the Tesla connector but don't know whether it can be used to charge non-Tesla cars, I have been told that it can and also that it cannot. This is an important point for me as my wife may well buy a smaller EV, such as the Mini. With my Model 3 supposedly arriving in mid-September, I need to make a decision very soon.

OLEV grant - I have been told (by an installer) that OLEV grants are not available for connectors supplied by EV manufacturers. I don't know whether tht is true.
I like the look of the Tesla connector but don't know whether it can be used to charge non-Tesla cars, I have been told that it can and also that it cannot. This is an important point for me as my wife may well buy a smaller EV, such as the Mini. With my Model 3 supposedly arriving in mid-September, I need to make a decision very soon.
If it helps I’ve got a Tesla charger and it works fine with the Hyundai Kona Electric.

That EO looks great, but doesn't appear to be for sale without installation? I'm not eligible for the OLEV grant due to not having off street parking, so just looking at the hardware for my electrician to install. Looking at a Rolec currently, such as this one WallPod : EV charging unit | Type 2 Tethered | 16/32 Amp(3.6/7.2kW) | 5 Metre | IP65 |
ah fair enough- the cheapest slower option is a granny cable and a 13 amp plug!! slow but if overnight- but if no off street parking??

I went for a tethered Rolec Smart charger, which is OLEV approved and after the £500 rebate, only cost me £380 all-in (including installation, charger unit and VAT). My installation included an earth rod and an extra 5m of cabling over the included 10m (it is 12m from the breaker, meter and fuse board).

I would go for a smart version (not because of the OLEV requirement) because you could take advantage of 1/2 hourly tariffs for overnight charging which will be considerably cheaper than day rates when they roll out.

Some suppliers/installers will say your house/flat needs a 100A fuse, you don't (80A is fine for most) and if you already have a 60A fuse in your main breaker your electricity distributor (not your supplier) will upgrade it for free. You will also need a spare way/space/MCB (Mini circuit breaker) on your consumer unit for a 32A MCB. If you haven't they will quote you for a sub-board which can cost around £100.

myROLEC.jpg

Reactions: -DB- and Roy W.
ah fair enough- the cheapest slower option is a granny cable and a 13 amp plug!! slow but if overnight- but if no off street parking??
Ha ha, with my limited access (for example maybe I get the car outside 3 or 4 times a week instead of every night), I could do with the 7.2kw. I'm just going to use a cable run protector across the pavement. If I can get the 32A adapter for UMC I could go with a commando socket instead, but I would rather keep the UMC clean and in the car.

I would go for a smart version (not because of the OLEV requirement) because you could take advantage of 1/2 hourly tariffs for overnight charging which will be considerably cheaper than day rates when they roll out.
View attachment 443365
Looks amazing, and I did eye it up. Not sure it's worth the extra for me without a grant, and I presume I can achieve the same kind of control from TeslaFi?

Some suppliers/installers will say your house/flat needs a 100A fuse, you don't (80A is fine for most)

I agree its usually not a problem, but a lower rating fuse may indicate a pending problem if Car Charger is being added to existing high power consumption stuff - multiple induction hobs/ovens, electric showers etc. If Car Charger is the only power hungry item, and particularly if used overnight, unlikely to be a problem.

I haven't read of any, but it seems likely to me that adding Car Charger is likely to expose any problems with (e.g. "old") wiring which may have gone unnoticed - which are unlikely to be cheap to resolve :(

An option, if the overall power rating is a problem, is to fit a device to cut power to the car-charger when the system overloads - so if you normally charge at night, but might during the day, potentially at the same time as all the kids languishing in showers ... then a cutout-device may be the answer

If I can get the 32A adapter for UMC

Is Model-3 UMC 32AMP capable? There has been some chatter about it (presumably reduced-cost for model-3 compared to original UMCs for Model-S/X) but I can't remember what the upshot was. The UMC is expensive, so worth comparing cost of wear and tear against cost of Wall Charger, and as you say wrapping it up to take with you when it is wet and cold is not very pleasant

I presume I can achieve the same kind of control from TeslaFi?

TeslaFi [and others like it] can schedule Start/Stop time for charge, depending on GPS location (e.g. "Charge Midnight to 4AM only if at HOME")

My understanding is that Smart Charger should, in future, be able to get better time-of-use tariff by starting/stopping within an overall "time window" to best achieve balanced load for the grid - and in return giving you a cheaper tariff. In some places, e.g. Texas, TOU tariff can be zero - oversupply of renewables for example.

I placed my order for a model 3 on friday (Leasing). I keep looking around for the "Best Charging Option".

I think for me the best Options will be based on A: the product and B: the service. I keep seeing customer comments that Podpoint have some Customer service challenges which are putting me off them a bit.

It would be great to hear peoples experiences of the Products and how easy they were to get them installed.

Finaly, Anybody know why nearly all the tethered chargers have 5m cables? It would really limit the placement for me. Ideally i would like 8 meters.

Finaly, Anybody know why nearly all the tethered chargers have 5m cables? It would really limit the placement for me. Ideally i would like 8 meters.
The Tesla Wall Connector comes with a 7.5m cable. :)

I guess the others are shorter because up to now, the majority of EVs in the UK have had their charge ports at the front!

Also, the gauge of cables were talking about here won’t be cheap. An extra couple of metres of cable would add significantly to the manufacturing cost.

The other option is to get an untethered charger, as you can easily source Type 2 cables that are 10m long.

Reactions: Palros
I went with the Tesla charger. Used a recommended installer from their site. They took just over 2 hours start to finish. Great looking charger with a nice long cable. Well worth it to me but your milage may vary on whether it would be for you.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
I agree its usually not a problem, but a lower rating fuse may indicate a pending problem if Car Charger is being added to existing high power consumption stuff - multiple induction hobs/ovens, electric showers etc. If Car Charger is the only power hungry item, and particularly if used overnight, unlikely to be a problem.

I’m getting an Andersen charge unit installed in a couple of weeks.

Advice from the company they use for installs was mixed. First video survey - “80 amps will be fine”. Second video survey (they lost the initial recording :rolleyes:) - “we recommend 100 amps”

I got the impression the most recent advice was of the “a**e covering” variety :) and I’d already had Western Power come and upgrade my main fuse from 60 to 80 amps on the strength on the first piece of advice. Western Power did this free of charge but advised that if I did need 100 amps it would be chargeable as a different housing would be required. The Western Power chap was also sure that 80 amps would be more than enough. Not entirely sure what counts as high power consumption appliances - we have the usual kitchen appliances - washer, dryer, fridge, freezer, kettle, toaster, coffee machine etc. Of the items you note above we have 1 standard single oven and 1 induction hob. No electric shower as all of our water and heating is gas powered. I found it quite funny that both the charger installers and Western Power asked if I had a swimming pool or hot tub :D. PS. I don’t.

So I THINK I’ve done enough to get the fuse upgraded to 80 amps, but have a slight seed of doubt.

Is Model-3 UMC 32AMP capable? There has been some chatter about it (presumably reduced-cost for model-3 compared to original UMCs for Model-S/X) but I can't remember what the upshot was. The UMC is expensive, so worth comparing cost of wear and tear against cost of Wall Charger, and as you say wrapping it up to take with you when it is wet and cold is not very pleasant
I'm pretty sure the model 3 had the Gen 2 UMC and it's therefore rated for 32A even though it supplies with a 16A adapter. Maybe someone can confirm, because I'm leaning towards a wall charger I didn't find an adapter etc yet.

TeslaFi [and others like it] can schedule Start/Stop time for charge, depending on GPS location (e.g. "Charge Midnight to 4AM only if at HOME")

My understanding is that Smart Charger should, in future, be able to get better time-of-use tariff by starting/stopping within an overall "time window" to best achieve balanced load for the grid - and in return giving you a cheaper tariff. In some places, e.g. Texas, TOU tariff can be zero - oversupply of renewables for example.
Great, thanks. TeslaFi scheduling might be a good option for me. Plus I'm a total nerd so the detailed stats are appealing.

The Rolec I posted a link to earlier lets you order with either 5 or 10M, another reason I'm leaning towards it - 10M would help out with my logistical manoeuvring challenges also!

I went with the Tesla charger. Used a recommended installer from their site. They took just over 2 hours start to finish. Great looking charger with a nice long cable. Well worth it to me but your milage may vary on whether it would be for you.

Out of curiosity, what RCD did they fit? Mine was fitted a month ago and they used "Tesla recommended" RCD, but apparently it does not comply with UK Regs since January.