Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up that there has been issues with EO and the Model 3. My charger didn't work with the car, nor did the brand new replacement, so ended up with the Tesla unit.

I believe EO have now stated they've fixed the issue, but might be worth clarifying that before handing over any money.

Have you got much further info on this EO issue? I've got an EO mini at workplace and home and not been having much joy charging SR+ since they were both installed 6 weeks ago. One at home has never put a charge in model 3 (but does a model S) and the one at work seems to work 30-40% of the time with no real reason or rhyme as to why it sometimes does or doesn't. I spoke with installer and them EO a good 6 weeks back but think I had one of the first Model 3's and the presumption was there were no compatibility problems but now there are more Model 3's out there maybe there is an EO / Model 3 problem.
My installer is going back to EO now but whilst I'm waiting to hear I was googling around and found your post.

Andersen A2 installed today chez moi. Wi-fi connected for smarts as the signal is fine. It’s a pretty neat box design wise, charging cable stored nicely inside and out of sight. Wired round to the other side of the house where the electricity meter / fuse (upgraded to 80 amps) is located.

All I need now is a Model 3 to charge. So other than looking at it and thinking “Aye that looks OK” I can’t provide any further info on how well it actually works just yet :D

0CFCD215-EF49-4177-A0DF-EA0FFD924E33.jpeg

Andersen A2 installed today chez moi. Wi-fi connected for smarts as the signal is fine. It’s a pretty neat box design wise, charging cable stored nicely inside and out of sight. Wired round to the other side of the house where the electricity meter / fuse (upgraded to 80 amps) is located.

All I need now is a Model 3 to charge. So other than looking at it and thinking “Aye that looks OK” I can’t provide any further info on how well it actually works just yet :D

View attachment 447324

Very nice! We're still waiting until October for our Andersen to be installed so it's nice to see some photos.

How do you find taking out and replacing the charger? It's not too much of a PITA? Do you use the app to lock the lid, and does the app work nicely?

I do have the app downloaded, and after a very frustrating setup of course it's useless right now with no charger.

Have you got much further info on this EO issue? I've got an EO mini at workplace and home and not been having much joy charging SR+ since they were both installed 6 weeks ago. One at home has never put a charge in model 3 (but does a model S) and the one at work seems to work 30-40% of the time with no real reason or rhyme as to why it sometimes does or doesn't. I spoke with installer and them EO a good 6 weeks back but think I had one of the first Model 3's and the presumption was there were no compatibility problems but now there are more Model 3's out there maybe there is an EO / Model 3 problem.
My installer is going back to EO now but whilst I'm waiting to hear I was googling around and found your post.

There is supposedly a fix, but mine was swapped out for a Tesla charger in the end.

Might be worth a call to EO yourself to check depending what you hear back?

What length of Tethered cable does it come with? Does it look robust enough to withstand pulling out and putting the cable in its compartment for may years to come (I'm thinking of the hinged lid if that's what it has)?

EO will replace it if you call them, they kindly offered to replace mine before I get my Tesla as I don't really have any other method to charge if mine doesn't work.

Very nice! We're still waiting until October for our Andersen to be installed so it's nice to see some photos.

How do you find taking out and replacing the charger? It's not too much of a PITA? Do you use the app to lock the lid, and does the app work nicely?

I do have the app downloaded, and after a very frustrating setup of course it's useless right now with no charger.

Taking out and removing the charger is straightforward, not a PITA at all. The installer also said that it’s not necessary to completely unwind the cable, just as much as you need to reach the car, as the cable is rated appropriately to handle caging while still partially coiled.

You do indeed lock (and unlock) the charger via the app. The installer showed me that. I’m not sure if this physically locks the lid or it disables the charging capability so that no one can steal your power. When locked a red led is shown on front of the charger to indicate that it’s locked. I can’t check it right now as Andersen apparently need to do some remote magic to associate my app account with the charger, which may take a few hours. No problem for me, I don’t have an urgent desire to use the thing yet :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: Keeper
What length of Tethered cable does it come with? Does it look robust enough to withstand pulling out and putting the cable in its compartment for may years to come (I'm thinking of the hinged lid if that's what it has)?

It’s a 5.5m tethered cable and yes, it seems to be a well put together, quality piece of kit, which it should be for the price.

Some closer photos of the Andersen A2 for those folks who want to take a closer look. I’m impressed with the apparent build quality and design. Pretty neat how the cable coils and stores internally. Also note the internal led light for when using it at night. Nice touch. The install was also painless, friendly chap arrived on time and did a good job (I think!) including the addition of a specific RCD / consumer unit within the meter cabinet (this was additional cost that I opted to do as it meant no internal drilling or connection to the main consumer unit).

94DA0892-3365-41BB-9FA6-03B4CC596F69.jpeg45B4E343-D806-4E15-8B24-BCC5F04ACEC3.jpeg1C35A377-2254-4169-A59F-2FF72E7E5A2F.jpeg071FD1A7-2384-4CE0-A242-3A7AD6EF0815.jpegB2E32FE6-D532-464E-8DD2-A5D854711030.jpeg385F85E0-893D-4737-8CDF-6CDAC5ACE01A.jpeg

Miles from EO just joined up to post on the Tesla Owners Group on Facebook that they now believe they've sorted the issue with the EO Mini Pro's, I asked him about the regular EO Minis as that's what I had an issue with:

"I'd recommend that any Tesla driver facing an issue with their EO charger contacts us on [email protected] or +44(0)333 77 20383."

Reactions: davidmc and Roy W.
I've pulled the trigger on an Andersen A2. I don't even have a meter installed yet for the connection it needs to go on.

12 week lead time.. ugghhhhh. Wish there were some other options. At least it gives me some time to get an ethernet cable in situ though.
Are you after aesthetics look or just out of sight look?

EO chargers are tiny, Really tiny (About the size of an A5 piece of paper!). i saw one at the weekend and it was way smaller than i thought so you could easily have it hidden neatly somewhere but reachable.

Picture below shows the size of it compared to the Zappi's next to it- they are at the bottom of the Roadster (Photo from weekend at EV in the Park)

IMG_20190824_111345.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: anon37485
Are you after aesthetics look or just out of sight look?

EO chargers are tiny, Really tiny (About the size of an A5 piece of paper!). i saw one at the weekend and it was way smaller than i thought so you could easily have it hidden neatly somewhere but reachable.

Picture below shows the size of it compared to the Zappi's next to it- they are at the bottom of the Roadster (Photo from weekend at EV in the Park)

View attachment 447381
Where I park it will be rather visible, as I will need to mount it on the front of a barn or on the side of the house.

I'm also a bit of a aesthetics snob. If I'm instaling something on the extremities of the house I want it to look half decent.

The EO looks alright but I wanted a tethered charger.

My EO Mini is due to be installed on 12th Sept by the leasing company. I have spoken to them now after seeing this, and they told that EO is aware of the issue specifically with Model 3 and have rectified it day before yesterday (very specific!).
They have assured me that the unit i will be getting will have that patch fix. Unfortunately I cant test it until I get the car. :(

My EO Mini is due to be installed on 12th Sept by the leasing company. I have spoken to them now after seeing this, and they told that EO is aware of the issue specifically with Model 3 and have rectified it day before yesterday (very specific!).
They have assured me that the unit i will be getting will have that patch fix. Unfortunately I cant test it until I get the car. :(

Might be worth joining the Tesla Owners Group on Facebook and asking if anyone in a Model 3 would pop over and test?

I had offers of that when I was having charging issues :)

Is there no way to hide the black supply cable to the charging box?
You pay good money for an attractive charger and then the overall appearance is marred by the black supply cable.
You don't see them in their adverts. Why black? Can you get brick/brown coloured cable?

We were in the same board - Andersen seemed like the only compelling choice aesthetically. The
Is there no way to hide the black supply cable to the charging box?
You pay good money for an attractive charger and then the overall appearance is marred by the black supply cable.
You don't see them in their adverts. Why black? Can you get brick/brown coloured cable?

I'd guess that if your installation location supports it, you could drill though into the back of the unit.

Sadly, our charger is in a location that won't support such a cable run, though it's in a corner where the cable will be drilled through into the garage. I'm hoping they can take the cable out of the side of the unit and then down the corner and into the wall. Means the unit itself hides the cable, and we can alway put a nice pot plant in the corner.

View attachment 447324
A striking colour choice too, looks nice.

Mind if I ask how long your cable run ended up being? I note that standard installation is 10 metres with 10 metres of plastic trunking (which it doesn't look like they've used for yours?). Since you said yours was wired to the other side of the house did it end up being much longer than 10m? If so, did you get charged much extra on the installation?

At a glance I'd say the length of the barn that I was going to situate mine on is probably around 20m from where the meter is going to be.