Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
The saga of my charger install continues. I had a Rolec for a month and it never worked and now I've got an Evbox Elvi which keeps dropping back to 16A max at random times. So, I'm going to push my installer for a new charger of my choice. Can anyone recommend the best? I've heard good things about the Zappi and the EO. Any others with looking at?

This is a good alternative LOL :)
71068753_1376833709152325_5790822478695628800_n.jpg

I’ve now used my Andersen charger a couple of times since picking up my Model 3 last weekend. I can confirm that it works well, the cable storage is effective (not a faff) and the app to schedule charging start / stop times works fine (once you’ve found out how to do it via a long press on “Last Charge/Timer” to bring up the scheduler, that took me a while to work out). The app also allows you to enter a price per kWh unit so records the cost of each charge as well as time and number of units. Would be better if you could put in two rates for peak and off peak unit pricing but at the moment you can only put one price in so need to change it each time if charging during different periods. Overall, happy I went with the Andersen, works well and looks decent.

I’ve now used my Andersen charger a couple of times since picking up my Model 3 last weekend. I can confirm that it works well, the cable storage is effective (not a faff) and the app to schedule charging start / stop times works fine (once you’ve found out how to do it via a long press on “Last Charge/Timer” to bring up the scheduler, that took me a while to work out). The app also allows you to enter a price per kWh unit so records the cost of each charge as well as time and number of units. Would be better if you could put in two rates for peak and off peak unit pricing but at the moment you can only put one price in so need to change it each time if charging during different periods. Overall, happy I went with the Andersen, works well and looks decent.

Bit of a glitch on the scheduled charging on the Andersen Konnect app. Set a scheduled charge but it then locked the charger which seemed bizarre. Great build quality for the charger and when it’s charging it works fine, but the app is clearly a bit of an afterthought.

I’ve resorted to scheduling charges via the Model 3 screen, to start when the off peak Octopus period starts at 00:30. That’s fine but the Andersen app should be better than it is. I’ll be contacting them with feedback on this, premium price charger needs a better app to live up to it’s “smart” claim. Unless this is expected behaviour, I’ll see what they say and report back.

• Informative
Reactions: Keeper
Not M3 but should work just the same; I've now started using Teslafi scheduled actions to stop charging our MS at 4:30AM (end of off-peak tariff with Octopus Go - the 00:30 starting time is programmed in the car). Works well. We just missed the 'smart' wall point era :D

Reactions: Keeper
I ordered it with the charger. Don’t know where the charger supplier sourced it, I’m afraid. I do know they are not cheap though. My quote was increased by about £160 to cover the extra cost of the tethered cable vs the normal EO mini unit.

Looking for installers in my area. came across this table on an installers website.
it was headed "Charging Times and typical costs for 100 mile range"
I think some of the numbers might be a little suspect such 12.9 hours on a 7.2kw/h charger for a range of 100 miles!

6c4038_ae3369b6d1e0491bb8f05894fdb2059e~mv2.webp

Wouldn't it be great if the Tesla charger would talk to the Powerwall inn a more sophisticated manner so it all worked a bit more seamlessly. Keep it all in one family so too speak.

I have a 5.9kW PV with Powerwall 2/Tesla Gateway plus the Tesla charger (which I believe is wired to the Gateway). The App has some intelligence regarding scheduling and cancelling out peak use, charging off peak and hints at having levels of intelligence but it's 'on or off' for charging cars really as far as I can see. Lengthy chats with my installer suggest that, whilst the Rolec is a top bit of kit, when you have several apps controlling several 'intelligent' devices but they don't talk to each other, setting a list of tasks, outside of designing an entire, multi-protocol control system on top becomes like juggling soot. Since the Powerwall is obviously aware of grid, solar shifts and scheduling (illustrated by the Tesla app Powerwall display), you'd think that adding the functionality found in the Rolec or Zappi into the Tesla side would be a given. I guess it's a side-effect of a dealing with a company growing so fast and they can't develop everything in one go.