Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best hours to recharge my Tesla in San Diego?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the sun shines if you have panels.
Not true. Here in SoCal (and many other locations), we are on net metering. With special rate plans designed for EV's, you are actually rolling back the meter during the day at a higher rate, but charging at night at a much lower rate. So it's better to charge during those super off peak hour rates. For example, you roll back the meter during the day at $0.30/kwh while charging at night at only $0.15/kwh

Reactions: APotatoGod
Not true. Here in SoCal (and many other locations), we are on net metering. With special rate plans designed for EV's, you are actually rolling back the meter during the day at a higher rate, but charging at night at a much lower rate. So it's better to charge during those super off peak hour rates. For example, you roll back the meter during the day at $0.30/kwh while charging at night at only $0.15/kwh
So you get paid $0.30/kwh for the power you put into the net?
cool

Reactions: gaswalla
What is failing on your solar? Are the panels not generating much anymore? Or just specific components are failing? It shouldn't be too costly to fix any specific failing components. I've had my solar system for 8 years now and it's been awesome since we have a hot tub and at times, had 2 EV's. I think I will add some more panels this year to help offset the R1T's larger electricity needs.
10 years is not long. The panels should still be under warranty.
Panels had 10 year warraty that was basically worthless. They want you to remove all the panels and ship them to them, so they can test and you have to pay for them to ship back any that are still producing properly. Might as well just buy new panels for that cost. They suggested to have my solar installer test them, but he refused and told me he will not honor the warranty or ever do any work for me again after refusing to just buy new panels per his request. Went to the license board and he simply claimed statute of limitations (over 4 years since he fixed anything on the system) and they told me there is nothing they can do but to take it to court. This is after paying a forensic enginner's company couple 1000 to come out and investigate the installation, create me a report etc.
So ya basically unless I go to court I'm stuck with the failing system. It's probably cheaper to just replace it than to pay the lawyers fees. I need to learn how to do it myself.
I don't even know if he is still in buisness anymore (Sonce electric), the parent company went under after stealing some peoples cash and never completing their system.
Even if I replaced the panels at this point the inverters would likely fail over the next few years since estimated lifespan is about 10-15 years.

Panels had 10 year warraty that was basically worthless. They want you to remove all the panels and ship them to them, so they can test and you have to pay for them to ship back any that are still producing properly. Might as well just buy new panels for that cost. They suggested to have my solar installer test them, but he refused and told me he will not honor the warranty or ever do any work for me again after refusing to just buy new panels per his request. Went to the license board and he simply claimed statute of limitations (over 4 years since he fixed anything on the system) and they told me there is nothing they can do but to take it to court. This is after paying a forensic enginner's company couple 1000 to come out and investigate the installation, create me a report etc.
So ya basically unless I go to court I'm stuck with the failing system. It's probably cheaper to just replace it than to pay the lawyers fees. I need to learn how to do it myself.
I don't even know if he is still in buisness anymore (Sonce electric), the parent company went under after stealing some peoples cash and never completing their system.
Even if I replaced the panels at this point the inverters would likely fail over the next few years since estimated lifespan is about 10-15 years.

I got my panels about 3 years ago and they came with a 25 year warranty (Panasonic). Given the insane increase in electricity rates and the tax credits i've received, they've pretty much broken even. I have 2 EVs now so the savings on my electricity and lack of gas is going to yield unbelievable ROI for my panels.

Where are those account tools. I can't seem to find them...Thanks!
Log in to your SDGE account on a browser or the app. If using the app, go to Home and scroll down to section below your usage chart. There should be a 'Learn More' ad just below the chart (in the browser, this should be easier to see). This box has several ads you can swipe thru. Swipe left until you get to 'Find the Plan that's right for you'. Touch the 'Compare' button. It may take a while to load all the different options. It takes time because they try to calculate what your cost will be on a new plan relative to your current plan. I don't know exactly what metrics they use to calculate potential savings/cost.

Log in to your SDGE account on a browser or the app. If using the app, go to Home and scroll down to section below your usage chart. There should be a 'Learn More' ad just below the chart (in the browser, this should be easier to see). This box has several ads you can swipe thru. Swipe left until you get to 'Find the Plan that's right for you'. Touch the 'Compare' button. It may take a while to load all the different options. It takes time because they try to calculate what your cost will be on a new plan relative to your current plan. I don't know exactly what metrics they use to calculate potential savings/cost.
My recollection is that they take the last 12 months of usage, and calculate the resulting cost under each of the rate plans.

Reactions: G35Rocker
you can charge 24/7 if you are not on a EV/TOU plan - but - you definitely want to get on one . . .
Not necessarily. I have done the comparisons on their website several times and every TOU plan predicts that I'll pay more than my current tiered plan.

However, I was going to post a screen shot of the comparisons to prove my point and they seem to have changed the site. It no longer estimated costs per year for switching plans. Interesting.

Every TOU plan showed an added yearly cost of anywhere from $300 to $700 for me compared to my current plan. Now they're not showing anything.

When the sun shines if you have panels.
I should have been a bit more specific with my question, it should have been more like "Best hours at night to charge my wife's Tesla Model 3 LR?"
We have solar panels and charge during the day when possible (Both semi retired) I had been setting the charging to start at Midnight with the understanding that be cheapest SDGE rates are from Midnight until 5:00am? Is that correct? Does SDGE have a weird "bump" in their rates around 3 or 4 am? If so, how does SDGE justify that? Or is it just to mess with us SDGE customers?

Not necessarily. I have done the comparisons on their website several times and every TOU plan predicts that I'll pay more than my current tiered plan.

However, I was going to post a screen shot of the comparisons to prove my point and they seem to have changed the site. It no longer estimated costs per year for switching plans. Interesting.

Every TOU plan showed an added yearly cost of anywhere from $300 to $700 for me compared to my current plan. Now they're not showing anything.
@davewill is correct if you live inland - and use AC. It depends how much you would use on peak power during the average peak time in summer. Its a simple math problem. You need to exclude the truly hot days that are not the norm in the San Diego -0 and if you live under the marine layer that rolls in pretty reliably and can tolerate a warm couple of hours til it does - its all about personal preference. If you live in 3000+ sq ft house you need to seriously do the math if you need to cool the whole thing.

As prices go up as California transitions to non fossil fuels you will need to consider switching from central air to separate units to cool discrete spaces - that will end up being cheaper than solar. . . .

I should have been a bit more specific with my question, it should have been more like "Best hours at night to charge my wife's Tesla Model 3 LR?"
We have solar panels and charge during the day when possible (Both semi retired) I had been setting the charging to start at Midnight with the understanding that be cheapest SDGE rates are from Midnight until 5:00am? Is that correct? Does SDGE have a weird "bump" in their rates around 3 or 4 am? If so, how does SDGE justify that? Or is it just to mess with us SDGE customers?

You need to look at your SDGE bill or account and figure out which plan you are signed up for. Then you can look up the rates for each hour of the day.

Reactions: OldPro and davewill