Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best insurance provider for limited company leased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was surprised to find out that Churchill doesn’t provide insurance if you’ve leased (or bought) your car via your limited company.

Any suggestions on the best insurance providers for Teslas that are leased via limited company ?

Also what’s the right way to register the car - on your name or company’s name ?

Last edited:
Following!

Picking up Model Y Thurs to replace M3 and I retract any previous comments I may have made re Direct Line being v good if you’re squirting the purchase through your LtdCo and running it as a pseudo-company car for tax reasons. My experience today is they’ve become utter cockwombles.

Also what’s the right way to register the car - on your name or company’s name ?

I‘m not an accountant but… to get the 100% FYA it needs to be new and the invoice needs to be to the company.

For this one I told Tesla ‘company' but also there’s now an option to add your name as “care of” in addition to LtdCo name as the purchaser. That wasn’t there when I purchased M3.

Dunno WTAF that’ll look like on the V5 but I’ll report back. Anyway, accountant has told me the only criteria are it MUST be new, invoice MUST be to LtdCo - and if you want to try claiming VAT back expect the Inspection of Doom.

Upvote 0
I'm in a similar/same position when it came to insuring my Tesla last year and renewing it this year. It's a company car and on the V5 certificate it states the limited company name as the registered keeper. I had trouble last year doing it as not many insurance companies insured cars that had a limited company as a registered keeper, and it wasn't even an option when using price comparison sites. This meant you only found out they didn't cover it when you went through the process of purchasing it and confirming the details, which happened with Direct Line and LV. Nevertheless, despite getting some crazy quotes of £2k-£4k (Aviva being at the highest end) I managed to get it insured with Admiral for £845 (7 NCB, Bath and on street parking).

This year I used price comparison sites (Compare the Market in particular) and noticed you could select a company as a registered keeper rather than the usual options for an individual (e.g. you, parent, spouse, etc.). Funnily enough I received a wide number of quotes that included, Churchill at £860, Flow (underwritten by LV) at £950 and LV for £1.3k, there were no quotes from Admiral. At this point I decided to call Admiral about renewal who asked if my circumstances had changed and I said no, they initially provided me a quote of £1050 (with 8 NCB). I said this was disappointing as it was over a 20% increase from my current premium. They then asked if the two named drivers drove the car at all, and I admittedly said they didn't (added them originally to bring down the price), and then asked what the current market value of the car, I said around £43k (providing a number given by price comparison sites). They then came back with £825 (£250 voluntary excess), of which I gracefully accepted!

Upvote 0
I'm in a similar/same position when it came to insuring my Tesla last year and renewing it this year. It's a company car and on the V5 certificate it states the limited company name as the registered keeper. I had trouble last year doing it as not many insurance companies insured cars that had a limited company as a registered keeper, and it wasn't even an option when using price comparison sites. This meant you only found out they didn't cover it when you went through the process of purchasing it and confirming the details, which happened with Direct Line and LV. Nevertheless, despite getting some crazy quotes of £2k-£4k (Aviva being at the highest end) I managed to get it insured with Admiral for £845 (7 NCB, Bath and on street parking).

This year I used price comparison sites (Compare the Market in particular) and noticed you could select a company as a registered keeper rather than the usual options for an individual (e.g. you, parent, spouse, etc.). Funnily enough I received a wide number of quotes that included, Churchill at £860, Flow (underwritten by LV) at £950 and LV for £1.3k, there were no quotes from Admiral. At this point I decided to call Admiral about renewal who asked if my circumstances had changed and I said no, they initially provided me a quote of £1050 (with 8 NCB). I said this was disappointing as it was over a 20% increase from my current premium. They then asked if the two named drivers drove the car at all, and I admittedly said they didn't (added them originally to bring down the price), and then asked what the current market value of the car, I said around £43k (providing a number given by price comparison sites). They then came back with £825 (£250 voluntary excess), of which I gracefully accepted!
Mine is leased car so it will not be in my name or my limited co name, the RK would be the leasing company (ALD in my case)

I’m getting weird quote differences. If I go through compare the market, it shows Admiral is 800 but if I go directly on Admirals website with exact same details and it says 1100 !?

Upvote 0
I have bought mine cash through my Ltd company, but done the ownership in my name via the 'care of' option
It states that correctly on the order and the invoice, but will double check the V5 when I pick up tomorrow.
Am just 50, so found Churchill & Saga to be best on insurance!

Upvote 0
I have bought mine cash through my Ltd company, but done the ownership in my name via the 'care of' option
It states that correctly on the order and the invoice, but will double check the V5 when I pick up tomorrow.
Am just 50, so found Churchill & Saga to be best on insurance!
Thanks. How did you change the ownership - Did you do via the website or call Tesla customer care ? Any issues if you car was in the company name ?

Also I heard Churchill doesn’t provide insurance for business bought cars

Upvote 0
@MrNik I did it on the website when I ordered, there is a separate section for 'care of'
V5 is coming through the post so will check when it arrives
Better for RK & Owner to be you. If you have a Limited company, they can still be the purchaser
Went with Saga insurance in the end
Thanks … so just to clarify when you ordered the vehicle, the ONLY business details you provided is the bank account details and everything else is your personal details ?

Upvote 0
Hi all, I hope someone can help me out with this. I am booked in to pick up MY RWD on 15th June but I am struggling to find insurance. Backround: The car is leased with leaseplan under my limited company of which I am a sole director, i have been quoting on comparison site that they (leaseplan) are the owners and keepers on the vehicle and I'm getting quotes around £5k per annum which is almost the cost of the lease per annum. I am 29, with 10yrs NCD and clean licence. Would be helpful if anyone can suggest any insurance companies they've had luck with for business lease insurance.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I hope someone can help me out with this. I am booked in to pick up MY RWD on 15th June but I am struggling to find insurance. Backround: The car is leased with leaseplan under my limited company of which I am a sole director, i have been quoting on comparison site that they (leaseplan) are the owners and keepers on the vehicle and I'm getting quotes around £5k per annum which is almost the cost of the lease per annum. I am 29, with 10yrs NCD and clean licence. Would be helpful if anyone can suggest any insurance companies they've had luck with for business lease insurance.
Churchill is cheap but they dont do business lease insurance (at the time of writing this).

Direct line is your best bet as they have a tie up with Tesla UK for insurance. They are comparably cheap as well.

Upvote 0
Churchill is cheap but they dont do business lease insurance (at the time of writing this).

Direct line is your best bet as they have a tie up with Tesla UK for insurance. They are comparably cheap as well.
Yes, I had no luck with Churchill. I tried direct line via their website but said they can’t quote after entering my details. I didn’t think it’ll be this complicated to insure a business leased car.

Upvote 0