Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best interest rate via Tesla financing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If im reading their site correct. Their listed rates already have the .50% discount rate baked in. So the 1.49 is @ 65 months with the membership discount, direct deposit etc. This rate can drop by .25 to 1.24 if you buy an EV. That would put the 72 months @ 2.49 with the membership discount, direct deposit etc as listed and 2.25 @ 72 if you buy an ev. Im not sure where people are getting 1.72. I know Tesla gave some one 1.72 but I dont know how they got to that number.
Shewwww, you’re correct sir. Haha. I definitely screwed that one up! I actually think that people Hans been getting approved for 1.74 with 65 months and because the banks Tesla is using do not do 65 they’ve matched that for 72 months!

I tried to do this but they said no the rate I have 2.09 is the lowest available. If you have a lower rate go forward and use them.

I’d edit my existing post, but it’s too late and I cannot do it now…

Reactions: noob_hunter_gu
US Bank at 72 months for 2.49 (vs. 2.09 on DCU) = not worth it to do DCU. Especially since we already bank with US Bank and we put a large down payment in the deal. .4% of 40k = $160/year or $13/month, on a loan that I’ll likely pay off within a couple of years.

Not sure about “DCU” but my past experience is these cut rate financing deals end up being more trouble than they’re worth (additional accounts to reconcile, document when applying for mortgage, don’t get fully closed out when paid off YEARS later, wrestling to get the title back, etc etc).

Reactions: 1plavs
So if I’m reading this correctly I join a program like “Reach Out for Schools” for a $10 yearly membership. Then I have to wait for my VIN (to get the purchase agreement that I need send to DCU) so that I can apply to DCU and get the 1.25% @ 65 months or 1.74% for 72 months. Then I email the DCU documentation to Tesla to see if they would rate match?
I’m pretty sure it’s a one-time $10 donation and not annual.

I applied to DCU today and got a generic note saying they will follow up over email about loan status and next steps. Don't they do instant approvals?
Well answering to my own query here to update anyone else.
Applied at 2am PT. Got approved at 8am PT same day.

The approval email does not mention any details of the loan. Just asks to upload additional docs - car title and such. Their call center is closed today so will have to call in tomorrow.

So if I’m reading this correctly I join a program like “Reach Out for Schools” for a $10 yearly membership. Then I have to wait for my VIN (to get the purchase agreement that I need send to DCU) so that I can apply to DCU and get the 1.25% @ 65 months or 1.74% for 72 months. Then I email the DCU documentation to Tesla to see if they would rate match?
Their listed rates already have the .50% discount rate baked in. So the 1.49 is @ 65 months with the membership discount, direct deposit etc. This rate can drop by .25 to 1.24 if you buy an EV. That would put the 72 months @ 2.49 with the membership discount, direct deposit etc as listed and 2.25 @ 72 if you buy an ev. Im not sure where people are getting 1.72. I know Tesla gave some one 1.72 but I dont know how they got to that number.

Their listed rates already have the .50% discount rate baked in. So the 1.49 is @ 65 months with the membership discount, direct deposit etc. This rate can drop by .25 to 1.24 if you buy an EV. That would put the 72 months @ 2.49 with the membership discount, direct deposit etc as listed and 2.25 @ 72 if you buy an ev. Im not sure where people are getting 1.72. I know Tesla gave some one 1.72 but I don't know how they got to that number.
DCU at the beginning of last week their lowest interest rate was 1.72% (Correct me if I am wrong). On Thursday or Friday of last week DCU lowered their rate which is why people are now getting 1.24%.

I had applied to DCU 4/26 and the approved me for 1.72% for a term of 65 months. Fast forward to Friday and I called DCU back and asked them to see if I qualified for the new lower rate. They checked and said yes. Now, I am approved for 1.24% for a term of 65 months.

I just need a VIN and a car...:p

DCU at the beginning of last week their lowest interest rate was 1.72% (Correct me if I am wrong). On Thursday or Friday of last week DCU lowered their rate which is why people are now getting 1.24%.

I had applied to DCU 4/26 and the approved me for 1.72% for a term of 65 months. Fast forward to Friday and I called DCU back and asked them to see if I qualified for the new lower rate. They checked and said yes. Now, I am approved for 1.24% for a term of 65 months.

I just need a VIN and a car...:p
also now that i think about this, when i talked to them I asked what it would be if i wanted to go to 72 from 65. i thibnk she said it was only .5 higher even though thats not what the site says. but that would be 1.74

Problem with using DCU is they require your full pay direct deposited which screws everything of up for most people and not worth the savings and I’d assume that’s why people would not be using them ultimately trying to get Tesla to match the rates.

Problem with using DCU is they require your full pay direct deposited which screws everything of up for most people and not worth the savings and I’d assume that’s why people would not be using them ultimately trying to get Tesla to match the rates.
If your work has the option to split up direct deposit, I'm not sure I know how DCU would be able to verify if it is your full pay. I am going to do something like this if I end up using DCU. Deposit $400 for the car every 2 weeks and the balance into my PNC account.

1620060773320.png

I guess I'll have my pay direct deposit to DCU and then set automatic transfer to my regular account which I use for all other purposes. I do like DCU's .5% APR on the interest checking and 6% on savings so eventually I might end up using that to it's limits which I guess is not much but it's something.

Reactions: olsookie
Well you’re getting approved for a large loan so I would assume depositing only a small amount they’re going to know it’s not your full pay.Depositing 6-800 a month vs 6K+ is pretty significant… LOL
True. I could just change my wife's direct deposit from one of her jobs. She only works 2 days a week there and after taxes its only like $2,000 a month. That would be her full pay check going into the account. I could always go that route.

• Love
Reactions: olsookie
If your work has the option to split up direct deposit, I'm not sure I know how DCU would be able to verify if it is your full pay. I am going to do something like this if I end up using DCU. Deposit $400 for the car every 2 weeks and the balance into my PNC account.

View attachment 659191

DCU Does ask for your paystub...so they could in theory know. Rather they act on it or not who knows. It has to be setup with 90 days of closing the loan.

Tesla was able to lower my rate down to 72 months at 2.39% (was 2.49%). I'm happy with that and will probably keep it. I was quoted lower with DCU, but will likely won't do it just so I don't have to do tons of extra paperwork. The bottom line isn't that much different.

I seem to fail to follow: if i find a rate at a credit union, tesla will match it? What if i get a rate now and then wsit 8 months for tesla to produce my vehicle. Will they match the original rate?
If you aren't getting a vehicle for 8 months then don't apply for credit for 8 months. A good rule of thumb is to wait for a VIN before applying for the loan (that way the approval has less of a chance of expiring).

View attachment 659191
I don’t actually send them my “pay” at all, I just use an automated ACH transfer from my brokerage account. Their system doesn’t seem to know the difference As long as it sees money flowing in. Done it this way for 5 years FYI. My deposit is $1 more than my payment.

Reactions: sgalla04
I'm making plans for my purchase in Q3, and was curious for anyone who actually used DFU to purchase (finance) your Tesla -- how exactly does their process work? I understand they will need the VIN, but once they have that and you are approved do they send a check to you in your name or in Tesla's name? Did Tesla have any concerns with accepting a check from DFU? I assume DFU will want the title, so I'm expecting there to be more paperwork, but I don't see the process laid out on their web site.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Reactions: noob_hunter_gu
Status
Not open for further replies.