Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best model year for CPO model s p85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 P85D . 2 words... LOVE IT!!! And I'm not talking about "lovin it" like a cheap McDonald's cheeseburger.. I mean I LOVE IT! I bought it "off lease" about a year ago, it had 1 owner, 3 yr lease... total of 24 thousand miles on it.. and I picked it up for 48k. (It has EVERY possible option, and its new price was 128k). I love the 2015 due to the lifetime of free charging at super charging stations.. and although I have had hybrids before, this is my first pure electric. I LOVE smiling a big F U smile each gas station I pass. That one sided relationship is over :)
I have had 1 issue with the car... the drivers side rear door handle stopped presenting itself to open 2 days after I got it.. but it was cool, and Tesla had a note that it was to be brought in for repair and the previous appointment during the warranty time had been cancelled, so it was rescheduled and didn't cost me a cent.
I wanted the P85D for the duel motor, all the reviews I read about people having a P85 said they were going through tires due to quick take off's.. the D (dual motor) saved that problem, and its true.. I put a new set of tires on mine, and haven't lost traction yet.
I too have seen a noticeable difference in charging times, It's definitely slower than it was, but I cant say I have noticed any difference in top speed, or acceleration .. especially when using insane or insane + mode. I will say, even in sport mode... when you have a friend in the car for the first ever ride in a Tesla.. the laugh they give afterwards is pure Adrenalin coursing through their veins... Seriously, people just laugh and laugh for ages cause they're so blown away by it... because pre performance Tesla.. most people have NEVER experienced that kind of take off in any car.... It seriously is like one of those rollercoasters that just launches you forward from a standing start. Think back to when you rode one, and you know the laughing afterwards I am talking about ;) Throw it into Insane or Insane + ... and you just kicked it up another notch.
I have the "next gen" seats in mine, and I am glad I did... because when you take a corner hard.. the side bolsters are a handy thing to help stop a passenger sliding around.
I do love the big screen , yes, the internet access on it is slow (3g) and I would love to have netflix etc as much as the next person while charging.. but I have a work around for that now too. I bought a set of after market turbine wheels when I got my tires done, and I am loving them too... because at $240 odd each, that is WAY cheaper than the OEM Tesla wheels that I wanted.. a ($5000 option I am told).

The trunk size is amazingly and surprisingly big... even before you go into the secret compartment under the floor. The saving in gas alone pays a third of my loan payment for the car.
Again, LOVE the car, love all the updates when they happen... sure I would love faster charging, and yes, I have a 240 outlet at home and can charge in the garage.. but I supercharge most times to around 180 or 200 miles... due to time and not having to make my wife move her car so I can charge this, and there is just something I really like about that word "Free" lol.
I chose a used Model S over a new model 3... for the performance side of it.. and for the free lifetime charging being a 2015 model.

Last edited:
Would like to get your view, there are very few p85DLs out there but would you recommend over regular P85d does L package also improve other aspects from reliability battery point of view.

The Ludicrous upgrade will drive the pack at higher amps which is not better but it's unclear how much it's really an issue as the extra power is usually only used for seconds at a time. The contactors will be more reliable as the L pack contactors are upgraded to inconel which will probably never fail.

Reactions: m335
I noticed on used car from private party with back of trunk (with underline) indicating L package but screen not showing underline..does that mean Tesla removed L package? why would such thing happen if car banging still indicate L package?

If the screen doesn't show it, then it doesn't have it. It was either removed after Tesla bought it back and resold it or the previous owner faked it by adding the badge.

Reactions: whitex and m335
I have a 2015 P85D . 2 words... LOVE IT!!! And I'm not talking about "lovin it" like a cheap McDonald's cheeseburger.. I mean I LOVE IT! I bought it "off lease" about a year ago, it had 1 owner, 3 yr lease... total of 24 thousand miles on it.. and I picked it up for 48k. (It has EVERY possible option, and its new price was 128k). I love the 2015 due to the lifetime of free charging at super charging stations.. and although I have had hybrids before, this is my first pure electric. I LOVE smiling a big F U smile each gas station I pass. That one sided relationship is over :)
I have had 1 issue with the car... the drivers side rear door handle stopped presenting itself to open 2 days after I got it.. but it was cool, and Tesla had a note that it was to be brought in for repair and the previous appointment during the warranty time had been cancelled, so it was rescheduled and didn't cost me a cent.
I wanted the P85D for the duel motor, all the reviews I read about people having a P85 said they were going through tires due to quick take off's.. the D (dual motor) saved that problem, and its true.. I put a new set of tires on mine, and haven't lost traction yet.
I too have seen a noticeable difference in charging times, It's definitely slower than it was, but I cant say I have noticed any difference in top speed, or acceleration .. especially when using insane or insane + mode. I will say, even in sport mode... when you have a friend in the car for the first ever ride in a Tesla.. the laugh they give afterwards is pure Adrenalin coursing through their veins... Seriously, people just laugh and laugh for ages cause they're so blown away by it... because pre performance Tesla.. most people have NEVER experienced that kind of take off in any car.... It seriously is like one of those rollercoasters that just launches you forward from a standing start. Think back to when you rode one, and you know the laughing afterwards I am talking about ;) Throw it into Insane or Insane + ... and you just kicked it up another notch.
I have the "next gen" seats in mine, and I am glad I did... because when you take a corner hard.. the side bolsters are a handy thing to help stop a passenger sliding around.
I do love the big screen , yes, the internet access on it is slow (3g) and I would love to have netflix etc as much as the next person while charging.. but I have a work around for that now too. I bought a set of after market turbine wheels when I got my tires done, and I am loving them too... because at $240 odd each, that is WAY cheaper than the OEM Tesla wheels that I wanted.. a ($5000 option I am told).

The trunk size is amazingly and surprisingly big... even before you go into the secret compartment under the floor. The saving in gas alone pays a third of my loan payment for the car.
Again, LOVE the car, love all the updates when they happen... sure I would love faster charging, and yes, I have a 240 outlet at home and can charge in the garage.. but I supercharge most times to around 180 or 200 miles... due to time and not having to make my wife move her car so I can charge this, and there is just something I really like about that word "Free" lol.
I chose a used Model S over a new model 3... for the performance side of it.. and for the free lifetime charging being a 2015 model.
Thanks awesome car and deal you got! enjoy!

Reactions: aerodyne
And horsepower! I assume anyone looking for a P85D wants that power, so the battery crippling that's going on is going to be worse for them - used buyers might never experience full power. At least we got to experience it for a few years before it was taken away.

P90D batteries were throttled even before 85 and 75 were batterygated, so they have their own problems. With the way things are going for Tesla now I don't know if the 100s will fare any better in a few years.
Owners of 90KWh batteries were reporting much higher degradation in the first year or two off ownership as compared to 85's. Then 90's max power output was throttled for ludicrous users who have reached some number of launches (a number confirmed by hackers, can't find what it was exactly but it's here somewhere). 85KWh were not throttled until more recently, and that throttling was max charge and charge rate, also seems to correlate with some older Model S's catching on fire.

Bottom line is Tesla pushes the bleeding edge, and their products have to be crippled as they learn more about long term reliability and safety. There is no proven battery because they keep improving and releasing new versions, which run into new issues as Tesla studies them. Tesla customers are a very large scale test bed for Tesla technology, pretty much a perma-Beta car - a lot of features continue to officially be called Beta, with some in vaporware "coming sooner than anyone thinks" stage for many years. No larger auto company would be able to get away with such tactics, hence they go the conservative route, like Porsche not even allowing >90% charge of their batteries (their rated range is based on 90% - which shows as 100% in the car).

PS> My 2015 P85DL range hasn't been crippled, at least yet. I don't supercharge much so don't know if supercharging speed has been limited. I also haven't updated since 2019.32.12 since my EMMC is dying, but that's another story for another thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: tyler2323
This is a great thread guys. I'm about to be an owner of a P85D+ that has been converted to a P90D (possibly P90DL). I cannot tell because Tesla wouldn't confirm if they striped it off or not. Badge says it is, but the console doesn't.

Anyway, before I found this car, I thought the P85D was the best balance of power + price = value... So I think the OP is on the right track. I have heard about the battery issues with the 85 packs, but then again, 90 has been accused of degradation as well...

If someone in this thread also has clues for figuring out the Ludicrous upgraded cars or capable cars, based on battery packs... Please do share... . Till then I'll keep enjoying the read here..

btw, does normal p85d has launch mode or only L models?
I believe the launch mode is only for those with the option of either insane... which came first (subsequently was updated again to have insane +).... or ludicrous mode.. which came later and could be bought at an extra cost during a specific time frame... which has now passed.
If someone bought a non upgraded P85D now.. they wouldn't be able to upgrade it to ludicrous or insane +.

This is a great thread guys. I'm about to be an owner of a P85D+ that has been converted to a P90D (possibly P90DL). I cannot tell because Tesla wouldn't confirm if they striped it off or not. Badge says it is, but the console doesn't.

Anyway, before I found this car, I thought the P85D was the best balance of power + price = value... So I think the OP is on the right track. I have heard about the battery issues with the 85 packs, but then again, 90 has been accused of degradation as well...

If someone in this thread also has clues for figuring out the Ludicrous upgraded cars or capable cars, based on battery packs... Please do share... . Till then I'll keep enjoying the read here..
In your case, I’d suggest making the purchase with the belief that it is a P85D and then be happy if you get more. These days Tesla is stripping all sorts of stuff off it’s used cars, including ludicrous mode. Having said that, if it has the upgraded hardware for Ludicrous mode, there are rooters on this site that could probably help you turn it back on...

Sounds like I’ve had the same experience as most of the P85D owners on this post. I bought my ‘14 used a year ago as my first EV, and bought it because I love acceleration performance and the used P85Ds were a great value. Today, they are an even better value.

I have had very minimal battery degradation, with an indicated 390~ km range now and Teslafi indicates I have around 74 KWH usable capacity compared to around 77 KWH when these were new.

My supercharging speed isn’t great, and never has been, but I only supercharge a hand full of times a year. We’re talking 10-90% in about an hour and a half.

It has also been extremely reliable now with 100k km on it. About 10k ago the front axles were replaced because of a shudder on acceleration. That’s it.

Is there any way to identify premium upgrade package from photos? on one car i see alcantara on front dashboard and on other i think its all leather..which one has premium package?
Alcantara was discontinued at some point, so lack of it doesn't mean no premium package. I bought 2 Model S's with the premium package, neither had alcantara dash. But, the alcantara dash did come with my P85D which does not have the premium package. Also, premium package meant different things for different production dates, for example when I got our 2017 car, premium package was required to have powered rear lifgate. When I got the 2018, power liftgate was standard, but premium now included the winter package (previously known as sub-zero package). So, unless you know the exact production date, it's hard to tell whether the car had premium package or not, or what it included. Welcome to Tesla's "we change our cars in production every 2 weeks", something Elon used to be very proud of (fast iteration in production).

In your case, I’d suggest making the purchase with the belief that it is a P85D and then be happy if you get more. These days Tesla is stripping all sorts of stuff off it’s used cars, including ludicrous mode. Having said that, if it has the upgraded hardware for Ludicrous mode, there are rooters on this site that could probably help you turn it back on...

Thank you for your response... PM incoming...

Sounds like I’ve had the same experience as most of the P85D owners on this post. I bought my ‘14 used a year ago as my first EV, and bought it because I love acceleration performance and the used P85Ds were a great value. Today, they are an even better value.

I have had very minimal battery degradation, with an indicated 390~ km range now and Teslafi indicates I have around 74 KWH usable capacity compared to around 77 KWH when these were new.

My supercharging speed isn’t great, and never has been, but I only supercharge a hand full of times a year. We’re talking 10-90% in about an hour and a half.

It has also been extremely reliable now with 100k km on it. About 10k ago the front axles were replaced because of a shudder on acceleration. That’s it.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Good to hear the value being reinforced by the PD models of 14 to 16...!

Is there any way to identify premium upgrade package from photos? on one car i see alcantara on front dashboard and on other i think its all leather..which one has premium package?

Great question mate, especially if you're buying used the reps don't tell you anything. So the visual queues are very important...

Alcantara was discontinued at some point, so lack of it doesn't mean no premium package. I bought 2 Model S's with the premium package, neither had alcantara dash. But, the alcantara dash did come with my P85D which does not have the premium package. Also, premium package meant different things for different production dates, for example when I got our 2017 car, premium package was required to have powered rear lifgate. When I got the 2018, power liftgate was standard, but premium now included the winter package (previously known as sub-zero package). So, unless you know the exact production date, it's hard to tell whether the car had premium package or not, or what it included. Welcome to Tesla's "we change our cars in production every 2 weeks", something Elon used to be very proud of (fast iteration in production).

Thanks for taking the time to explain this...

Holy crap. This is why the Internet sucks. There’s 2 maybe 3 mega posters in this thread that claim to be owners but hate their cars like they’re paid to write about it. Why the F do you still own it and bother to spend your days on Tesla owner forums bashing them with mostly wrong information?

I did a *sugar* ton of reading on this forum and others, blogs and magazines, before I bought my car. A few good posts but most of this thread is pure BS. I’m sorry a few trolls or angry people are leading you astray.

1) “Tesla ended their CPO program over a year ago”. Horseshit. I bought my car as a CPO almost exactly a year ago and know other who bought warrantied preowned since as well. Any idiot going to Tesla.com 3 minutes ago will find used Model S‘s with the same “70 point inspection” and a full 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty from date of used purchase and original 8 year unlimited mileage on battery and drive unit. I’m not sure Tesla ever used the “CPO” term but the program is still very much alive.

2) One of idiots says don’t buy any Tesla at all. The Internet is where consumers turn when they have issues. The small sampling of complaint posts vs 1,000,000 delivered vehicles tells you everything you need to know. Tesla is a new car maker (by any standard) and doesn’t test like others do. It’s not a Honda or Toyota. They do have more quality control problems than average and fewer places to get service. Know that going in, but the cars are not inherently flawed, unreliable, or otherwise continually materially degraded by Tesla updates. Like owners any brand that bought a lemon, there are some legit people getting screwed over. Been there done that with a famous British brand, so I can empathize. But it’s a minuscule amount of cars. There have been more than a few battery replacements and even more drive unit replacements. Under warranty Tesla has mostly made good on these.

3) Conventional wisdom on batteries was the 90’s were essentially the same capacity as the 85’s but with software raised limits. This is the theory (and they’re all just guesses wading through anecdotal musings) why the initial degradation rates were higher for those. Later it was why supercharging speed limits were applied to protect their longevity. The wisdom was both batteries were good but 90’s were more questionable.
There’s also decent public research on battery deg. The fastest drop off is early in battery life, then generally a slow, flatter deg line after. Also much of “battery life” is anecdotal. It’s people looking at what their computer estimates a full charge will give. Variables can affect this. My car was supposed to be 253 when new. After 5+ years and 40k+ miles it still computes 250. Sometimes 249. Having said that, my daily charge level is 75-80%. The estimated range fluctuates 3-4 miles. It can show 196-200 when finished charging to 80%. So depending where somebody is on that swing they can freak out over degradation that may or may not be there.
We also know that any Li battery regularly fast charged degrades faster than those that don’t. Just like those that are regularly charged 90-100% or drained below 20% degrade faster than those that don’t. So again, communal info can be useful but it’s far from scientific.
More recently there are reports of limits being imposed on others besides 90’s too, including 85’s. Enter “battery gate”. IMHO, a much ballyhooed issue. (How do you fill a 24hr news channel? Fill it with talking heads in a mock debate. How to you fill forum threads? Bitch about the weather, er, your car.) This coincidentally was around the time Tesla started slowing speeds for people who regularly used free supercharging instead of charging at home. As someone with free lifetime supercharging, I get why some might be mad. But it’s also a bit like taking the whole tray of “need a penny, take a penny” at the quickie mart. The supercharger network is not designed for every owner to use daily - free or otherwise. As a traveler who’s found heavily used “local” supercharger stations in times of need, I appreciate Tesla disincentivized this abusive behavior.

4) Lots of happy P85D owners. I’m among them. I’ve had it a year and a little over 10k miles. So far it’s been good to me. I’ve driven it on a 1,000 mile and a 2,000 mile road trip. I’ve driven it on 250mi day trips (with a charge in the middle). Lots of in town and occasional hooning for the first time Tesla passenger. 9/10 Tesla owners love their cars. I love mine. I’ve had a lot of nice cars over the last 20 years - Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc. My car currently shares the garage with a 2019 Audi S5 Cabriolet. The materials and build quality on the Audi is vastly superior to the Tesla. Better than 2019 Model 3’s I’ve seen and been in. Tesla has a lot of work to do but they’re making incremental progress and are more focused on battery cost, range, and self driving than plastics and panel gaps. It’s a trade off. I’ve sat in an Audi e-tron. It’s better built, I couldn’t take those road trips in it yet. Tesla pros/cons.

5) How to tell a Ludicrous car? There’s no guessing. On the Driving screen it will have a Ludicrous button instead of an Insane button. On the car info screen, the model designation will be underlined.

6) 4G is LTE. I think they meant 3G cell connection until early 2015. My car has a LTE connection even though it wasn’t supposed to be there until April 2015. It’s said to be upgradable for $300. If your car doesn’t have it, negotiate it into the purchase.

7) The Tesla direct buying process is better suited to new cars than used. I’ve bought cars remotely and have ordered new cars before. Tesla used needs some improvement. Buying used you have to rely on the online description and photos provided - which aren’t great. Unlike regular car sales, no one is going to go get specific pics or videos for you. There’s virtually no way to see the car before making a deposit. So it’s a bit of a leap of faith. Build that into the price you pay. The contract says you only get your deposit back if the car is materially different than described. Otherwise it’s only transferable to another Tesla. But anecdotally people have been able to get refunds for good refusals. My car was a little more scuffed than shown in the pictures. It was also delivered dirty. i made them clean the interior bits to ensure they weren’t permanently stained. My detailer did his best with the scuffs. Make sure you drive it and everything works with no issues before accepting delivery. Once delivered, getting anything remediated will be a challenge. They aren’t going to polish up anything considered “normal wear & tear” under typical lease return rules, so scratches, dings, rash that fit under a credit card might be on your car.
On the positive side, it takes less than 5 minutes to complete the paperwork and no one pushes markups, warranties, or whatever on you. You can be in/out in under 30 minutes- by design.

My Tesla advice is: Buy the newest, lowest mileage, best condition, and best warrantied one you can afford. Things I looked out for were the typical used car sings of repair/repaint, yellow main screens, 4 matching tires with good tread, complete charge kit with 110, 240, and J1772 connectors, and 2 key fobs.

Were there other questions for those of us that non-haters can answer?

Last edited:
@AronAZ back in the day, Tesla had actual CPO vehicles, meaning they underwent full repair/restoration to bring them back to like new condition. This included dings, dents, scratches and even replacing wheels, trim, etc if it was not perfect. This process ended a few years back. The new term is Tesla used vehicles, cause they don’t recondition anything anymore. The warranty is great, but they are not “like new” like before.
I agree with most of your other post, but we can’t be blind to the issues to be expected- door handles, MCU/ IC screen bubbling, eMMC chip, sunroof seals, etc. if you go in expecting these issues will crop up, you can be mentally prepared. Tesla has gotten better over the years, but that does not mean that they are/were perfect. I appreciate the honest information on these forums, since it helps me prepare if/when I have an issue. We are not helped by people pretending everything is good, it will just make new buyers feel slighted. As always, buyer beware

Reactions: Ostrichsak