Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best model year for CPO model s p85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
new to this forum, hope you can help. i just started to read through model s related data but can you help me to understand if there are concerns with model year 14-16 model S for battery/motor issues?
Also would p90d be more reliable than p85d, i was in one of the posts that 85kwh batteries failed so wanted to confirm.

thanks again!

thanks for quick help!
sorry but i am still bit confused. Is consensus to stay away from used 14-16 model years or just p85d model?
i am looking for used model S and also want performance version, can you pleas recommend which is best model with good reliability so i can keep for 5+ years? thanks!

None. They are crippling batteries by taking away range and supercharging speed.
Stay clear of 75/85 packs.
And horsepower! I assume anyone looking for a P85D wants that power, so the battery crippling that's going on is going to be worse for them - used buyers might never experience full power. At least we got to experience it for a few years before it was taken away.

P90D batteries were throttled even before 85 and 75 were batterygated, so they have their own problems. With the way things are going for Tesla now I don't know if the 100s will fare any better in a few years.

Reactions: whitex
Get the newest Tesla with the longest warranty you can afford. All of them are unreliable, even the brand new ones. The packs are great in my experience but do lose performance over time.

So Unless you need the insane launch of Performance model, the newer 100D is a good bet IMO. The big pack and non performance give it long life expectancy at cheaper cost and still reasonable 0-60

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
I have a 2015 P85D and it is absolutely brilliant. The sunroof is used every now and then and has never had an issue. It has a range of about 380km (240 miles) on a full charge, which is down from around 420ish when I first got it. I mainly use it around town and the most I would travel in a day is around 200km, so it is brilliant for me. When I travel long distances I just charge every 200-250km at superchargers.

Unless you are doing 300km or more a day constantly (ie no ability charging at work for a return trip) the car is absolutely fantastic and I would recommend it without reservation.

It has had a few repairs under warranty - MCU, Air conditioner, drive shafts - and has only let me down once, when the air con pump failed and drained the 12v battery. Pickup was organised by Tesla, fault diagnosed, pump replaced and ready to go 48 hours later.

Reactions: bhzmark
I have a 2015 P85D and it is absolutely brilliant. The sunroof is used every now and then and has never had an issue. It has a range of about 380km (240 miles) on a full charge, which is down from around 420ish when I first got it. I mainly use it around town and the most I would travel in a day is around 200km so it is brilliant for me. When I travel long distances I just charge every 200-250km at superchargers.

Unless you are doing 300km or more a day constantly (ie no ability charging at work for a return trip) the car is absolutely fantastic and I would recommend it without reservation.

It has had a few repairs under warranty - MCU, Air conditioner, drive shafts - and has only let me down once, when the air con pump failed and drained the 12v battery. Pickup was organised by Tesla, fault diagnosed, pump replaced and ready to go 48 hours later.
Thanks for your reply! this is encouraging information after looking at pricing i think p85d or P90 fit in my budget better. I dont plan to drive far distance i have SUV for that, this is just work to home 25miles a day. What i am concerned from information i get here is that 85kwh battery pack has low reliability, i am concerned after CPO warrenty is over car will get totattled if battery is gone..really worried about such a case since these packs are so expensive to replace. what are communities thoughts on that.

Battery and drive train (motors) have 8 years or 150,000 miles so at the very worst you could budget for a new battery pack in 2-4 years depending on the build date.

I plan to buy the plaid version when it comes out. If I am not financially ready, I really do not mind waiting longer. I don't really care how long it takes as, other than no ability to use the car at track days, I absolutely adore this car. If it could be "tracked" I would not even consider upgrading.

Please note that I am not all that well off. I could not afford the car when I purchased it when it was 18 months old. I had to sell off 2 other cars and borrow $50k from my brother and have been paying him off ever since. Last payment is in June :):):)

ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS! Best car I have ever owned and previous cars include 3 BMW M3's & 2 BMW M5's, which is why I didn't have the money to afford the MS as they cost me a fortune to buy and maintain.

The Model S accessories are not reliable, even on brand new cars. Battery wise, the 90 are the only ones that I've heard consistent bad things about degredation wise. In fact, I recently had a p90d loaner with crap range. The rest have been great In my experience, and I've driven countless. These Tesla batteries hold up. It's everything else that will crap out on you.

They are always making new part revisions and improving designs of these failure points. So just get the newest Model S you can afford.

I have a 12/14 build P85D. 57k on the odo purchased used from Tesla in May of last year. I haven’t experienced anything on mine. Still super charges at a normal rate (I’ve seen as high as 98kwh at 50% soc recently) and I don’t have any issues with speed. My car was fully loaded with what was available at the time of purchase. To date I’ve purchased a new set of tires and the only real failure on the car was the death rattle (which you can search here on the forums) Tesla replaced the parts and no more noise. Otherwise I’ve had a door handle stop working but truly nothing that would keep my car from driving.

something to think about when buying used from Tesla or anywhere else for that matter. It’s a used car. You can’t expect it to perform exactly as it would have when it was brand new. Mine feels like it does. I would 100% take it on a road trip and we routinely drive it around 90 miles a day for work. Since May we’ve out around 23k on the odo. Buy what you want and can afford and then enjoy the car.

I have a 12/14 build P85D. 57k on the odo purchased used from Tesla in May of last year. I haven’t experienced anything on mine. Still super charges at a normal rate (I’ve seen as high as 98kwh at 50% soc recently) and I don’t have any issues with speed. My car was fully loaded with what was available at the time of purchase. To date I’ve purchased a new set of tires and the only real failure on the car was the death rattle (which you can search here on the forums) Tesla replaced the parts and no more noise. Otherwise I’ve had a door handle stop working but truly nothing that would keep my car from driving.

something to think about when buying used from Tesla or anywhere else for that matter. It’s a used car. You can’t expect it to perform exactly as it would have when it was brand new. Mine feels like it does. I would 100% take it on a road trip and we routinely drive it around 90 miles a day for work. Since May we’ve out around 23k on the odo. Buy what you want and can afford and then enjoy the car.
thanks for your help! this is great information!

One more question, does below with underline mean it has some special mode? Also from post above it looks like p85d has better reliability than other performance models can you all confirm please?

upload_2020-3-31_22-13-2.png