Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best model year for CPO model s p85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more question, does below with underline mean it has some special mode? Also from post above it looks like p85d has better reliability than other performance models can you all confirm please?

View attachment 528201
The underline is generally the designation for Ludacris mode.

P85D’s, when untouched by Tesla, are generally as reliable as the rest of the fleet.

The problem is, Tesla is reaching in via software and touching all P85D’s.

Seriously, if you’re looking for a performance vehicle you should stay away and buy one of the newer models. Even a standard 100D should be quicker at this point and have better build quality.

if money is the deciding factor you would be better off with a model 3.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: sorka and Chaserr
The underline is generally the designation for Ludacris mode.

P85D’s, when untouched by Tesla, are generally as reliable as the rest of the fleet.

The problem is, Tesla is reaching in via software and touching all P85D’s.

Seriously, if you’re looking for a performance vehicle you should stay away and buy one of the newer models. Even a standard 100D should be quicker at this point and have better build quality.

if money is the deciding factor you would be better off with a model 3.
thanks for sharing this info. Could you also explain why and what is Tesla changing on these battery packs? also is it limited to p85d or even impacts other models?

It's my theory that, just like a gas engine, the cells C rate degrades over time which limits max charge/discharge potential. I wouldn't be surprised if older high mile 100kwh packs experience the same thing in the future.

Tesla releases the vehicles at close to their max potential, no buffer. It seems like other manufacturers might be trying the long game with the E-Tron and such. Not that the software limitations on older cars make them unusable. But don't expect the Tesla to engineer that performance safety net/limit like Lexus would.

Last edited:
Buy something built before 4/2015 (I think that’s the right date, but you can look it up) l so you get the performance plus suspension, having that will keep the value up over the p90d.
True, but that will also likely mean having cellular 4G instead of the LTE which was upgraded later in 2015. Also, subzero package may not have heated steering wheel in the late 2014/early 2015 models.

I've had my '15 P85D for almost a year, and haven't had anything major go wrong. Just a few minor things and Tesla mobile service is awesome. Stayed on 2018 software for as long as I could, but got force upgraded to 2020 software. Luckily, I have not lost any range. I haven't supercharged since, so I'm not sure if that's affected.

Hi All,
new to this forum, hope you can help. i just started to read through model s related data but can you help me to understand if there are concerns with model year 14-16 model S for battery/motor issues?
Also would p90d be more reliable than p85d, i was in one of the posts that 85kwh batteries failed so wanted to confirm.

thanks again!

I purchased a used 2014 P85D from Tesla over a year ago, and while I've had my fair share of little repairs, it has been an amazing car.
Mine is a very early P85D (11-2014) and I still have 248mi of "rated range" at 100% and I've seen supercharges of up to 120kW just a few months ago (end of Feb) and I have the original battery pack. The car goes like heck and is the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel!

To answer your question directly, I think the most common issue for these is the death rattle, which is a well-documented issue while under moderate-to-heavy acceleration, you get a rattling noise (kinda sounds like a ball bearing in a tin can). Also, if you do get one of the "batterygate" packs, you'll still have a way awesome car, it may just take longer to Supercharge on trips and someone from 2014 who drove one new may say that it isn't as fast :)

Here is everything that I have had replaced on mine over the last year:
- Driver's side door handles (front and rear)
- Sunroof (rattled while closing)
- Front axles (dead rattle fix)
- Chargeport/door (Wife ran into it while I was open, Tesla still fixed under warranty!)

I'm thankful of these fixes as a lot of them made my car better. The sunroof is a new model with a retrofit kit, the chargeport is the nice, quiet one from the newer cars, and the door handles are the updated model that are *more* reliable :p

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl and m335
Thanks for your reply! this is encouraging information after looking at pricing i think p85d or P90 fit in my budget better. I dont plan to drive far distance i have SUV for that, this is just work to home 25miles a day. What i am concerned from information i get here is that 85kwh battery pack has low reliability, i am concerned after CPO warrenty is over car will get totattled if battery is gone..really worried about such a case since these packs are so expensive to replace. what are communities thoughts on that.

Any easy way to verify if CPO has battery capped?

Important distinction to avoid confusion: Tesla ended the CPO program over a year ago. What you're talking about is a used car and not a CPO which would normally denote a certain level of cosmetic inspection and refurbishment. What you're getting is a used car with a factory warranty against mechanical defects that likely hasn't even had the 70-point inspection done that they claim. It's important that you know you're buying a used car and inspect it thoroughly as any cosmetic issues are yours once you sign the paperwork. If you want them to fix anything ask before you sign paperwork and force them to put it in writing.

Reactions: aerodyne and glide
this is great advice thanks! in the current process can i got to local delivery center and take a look at the car before signing papers? how process works if i ask them to ship from out of state?
Nope. Order online. You get what they give you.
No test drives. Any squeaks, rattles, paint, or finish issues you will have to live with.

It’s a total take it or leave it situation.

Worst car buying experience I have ever had.

• Helpful
Reactions: m335 and krsgio
I think 2015 has the least problems with MCU leaks, sunroof leaks rattles, suspension, and drivetrain. I also like the old school pre-refresh look, but many would disagree.

Not me. It's not that I can't stand the refresh look but I rally like the DB-9 look of the the nosecone. Plus if the cone is damaged, it's $140 to pop it off and put a new one on.

Not all 85s are throttled or capped. The best thing to do is to make sure that a used 85 that you're interested in isn't already capped. If it isn't, then you're likely in the clear.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Not me. It's not that I can't stand the refresh look but I rally like the DB-9 look of the the nosecone. Plus if the cone is damaged, it's $140 to pop it off and put a new one on.

Not all 85s are throttled or capped. The best thing to do is to make sure that a used 85 that you're interested in isn't already capped. If it isn't, then you're likely in the clear.
No such thing as “in the clear” when it comes to throttling/capping

• Disagree
  • Helpful
Reactions: sorka and Chaserr