Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Place to Sell My 2019 Model 3? [2020]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I sold my old car in Feb, I got quote from some online place that was way low. Went to CarMax and got like 2k more. Then went to two other local places and ended up 600 above that. My car went for 20 k so you would have more room to get more. I would start with CarMax as then the other places know they have to bid more

Anyone try EBay motors?

eBay is best used as a place to advertise your car and close the sale off of eBay. With all the buyer and seller scammers over the years that have ruined the reputation of the eBay auctions, they rarely work out as a way to close the deal. But it does give your car exposure just like an AutoTrader or any other online ad.

Having just bought 2 cars (Model 3 and Cherokee TrailHawk), and just sold 2 cars (Shelby Mustang and Wrangler), I can chime in... I had just spent 6 months searching x3 m40i's, RS3, and Model S.... cargurus is the best search site and ads are real-time.

First, as a data point, I just paid $49.9k for a '19 Stealth with 6,700 miles... original owner had tinted windows, clear bra the whole front, and a brand new set of tires. Yes, I'm aware I paid MSRP for a used vehicle... but stealths are impossible to find and this one showed up in my back yard.

My #1 recommendation would be cargurus.com IMO it is the best of the search portals. I didn't list either of the cars I was selling on that site because I feel the site is best for late-model low-mileage cars, preferably stock, and neither of mine were anything like that. This was my #1 favorite search site by far! For my Shelby Mustang, because it was a specialty car, I wanted a national audience and listed it on eBay... ultimately it sold from the eBay listing, even though buyer and seller and I conducted business outside the platform.

One more thing... DEFINITELY do craigslist. It is the first place a lot of people think of and it's only $5 to list. Remember one thing though... just ignore any inquiries you get in the first 48 hours... almost all of those are scams and spam. After that, it's just real people.

Last edited:
My #1 recommendation would be cargurus.com IMO it is the best of the search portals
I have mine listed on CarGurus and in my opinion they’re a waste of money and time especially if you’re trying to sell a used Tesla. Unfortunately they don’t, in coming up with their values, add the value of EAP/autopilot and FSD which adds value to the vehicle. If you look at the majority of the Tesla ads on there they’re either listed as “high price” or “overpriced.” This is mainly due to their algorithms which do not account for those options I mentioned. We advertised my wife’s car last year on a few sites including CarGurus and were surprised that we found a buyer from Craigslist.

My parents and I both sold our Model 3's last month to Carvana. It was extremely easy and fast. I got $35,500 for my 2020 SR+ with 11000 miles and the parents got $39,500 with about 4000 miles on their red 2019. They were both around 5k more than any other offers. I checked Carvana and they are selling my car for 40,500+ fees. That's roughly 1700$ more than new. I'll never understand how they work. I would do it again due to how easy it was.

My parents and I both sold our Model 3's last month to Carvana. It was extremely easy and fast. I got $35,500 for my 2020 SR+ with 11000 miles and the parents got $39,500 with about 4000 miles on their red 2019. They were both around 5k more than any other offers. I checked Carvana and they are selling my car for 40,500+ fees. That's roughly 1700$ more than new. I'll never understand how they work. I would do it again due to how easy it was.

some People pay more for quick delivery+ carvana has other funding and revenue sources like financing etc..

your parents got a steal though due to low miles... I wonder what i'll get for my Black19 SR with 14K miles. Display says SR+ and I wonder if carvana cares about options...

Its a pretty bad time to sell a used car right now in general, and its going to get much (much much) worse in the next few months, what with all the unemployment, etc.

I would say that TMC (this wesite) is one of the worst places to consider selling a used tesla, because there are people that just hang out in the tesla for sale section and beat up people on how their used tesla is overpriced etc. It depends on why you are really selling. If you dont "have" to sell, you are likely better off waiting almost a year, when we are hopefully on the other side of this "shelter in place " world and the situations have calmed down.

If you have to sell now, other than tesla, carvana, vroom, and autotrader / private ads, its the same as selling any other used car. The autotrader /private ad route always has the issue of you pricing the car for X and someone showing up, wasting your time, and saying "I have X minus 8K here IN CASH right now for your car". Its a hassle to sell private party but you can get the most money for it if you take your time.

The others are much faster but you wont get as much money back.

best to not sell at all, or if you have to sell, try those three above and take the best and move on.

not sure if this applies to Model 3:
Used car prices soaring as COVID-19 pandemic shakes up new car market

It was appropriate in May, when I originally posted that it was a bad time to sell a car. I was obviously incorrect about it getting worse on a "used car" basis, but I certainly do not feel wrong on advising people that this web site is a very bad place to sell a used tesla, for the reason I stated before.

Its a bit better now than it used to be with the "pack of wolves waiting to pounce" mentality that exists here, but I still firmly believe that TMC is a horrible place to try to sell a used tesla.

It was appropriate in May, when I originally posted that it was a bad time to sell a car. I was obviously incorrect about it getting worse on a "used car" basis, but I certainly do not feel wrong on advising people that this web site is a very bad place to sell a used tesla, for the reason I stated before.

Its a bit better now than it used to be with the "pack of wolves waiting to pounce" mentality that exists here, but I still firmly believe that TMC is a horrible place to try to sell a used tesla.

For the same reason its bad to sell a pinball machine on a pinball forum, when you can go on ebay and sell same pinball for much less with less hassle. although you do have the hassle of dealing with people who don't know how to transport said machine. Bottom line is that on a forum like this or a pinball forum, etc, the people are going to pick apart every little potential issue versus the common person that could care less.

Reactions: vickh
I have mine listed on CarGurus and in my opinion they’re a waste of money and time especially if you’re trying to sell a used Tesla. Unfortunately they don’t, in coming up with their values, add the value of EAP/autopilot and FSD which adds value to the vehicle. If you look at the majority of the Tesla ads on there they’re either listed as “high price” or “overpriced.” This is mainly due to their algorithms which do not account for those options I mentioned. We advertised my wife’s car last year on a few sites including CarGurus and were surprised that we found a buyer from Craigslist.

Eh, you are right on some parts of that, but you also have people that don't understand the reality that Tesla keeps lowering the price on the vehicles which in turn is lowering the price on used vehicles. Great for Tesla, but soon they are going to run out of fanboys and realize they are just pissing off common folk who don't want to take ridiculous hits to their car value as they keep lowering prices. I lost 3K a month after I bought my used Tesla when they lowered prices. At any rate, people are also valuing the options like EAP/FSD at full price which anyone knows any option is going to drop in value regardless of what it is. The car has a finite life and the life has been partially used.

Reactions: C141medic

I meant if the used car stat/article applied to 3. I'm surprised about what happened to pricing with covid, but I believe it applies to cheaper cars

Agree with TMC comment

Reactions: jjrandorin
some People pay more for quick delivery+ carvana has other funding and revenue sources like financing etc..

your parents got a steal though due to low miles... I wonder what i'll get for my Black19 SR with 14K miles. Display says SR+ and I wonder if carvana cares about options...

Second vote for Carvana, they seem to give good offers for SR or SR+. I sold my black 19’ SR (with no options), @11k miles for $36,300 around August 1st.

Reactions: vickh
Eh, you are right on some parts of that, but you also have people that don't understand the reality that Tesla keeps lowering the price on the vehicles which in turn is lowering the price on used vehicles.

They don't lower prices across the board. Some prices have stayed the same and the most in-demand have seen price increases. (I'm thinking mainly of the stealth performance 3, which say a $5k price bump from '19 to '20). For some of us, namely existing stealth owners and all new buyers, the price adjustments have been very nice.

Wrong they have lowered they over and over and just lowered the model y after lowering the m3p this year

They don't lower prices across the board. Some prices have stayed the same and the most in-demand have seen price increases. (I'm thinking mainly of the stealth performance 3, which say a $5k price bump from '19 to '20). For some of us, namely existing stealth owners and all new buyers, the price adjustments have been very nice.

• Disagree
Reactions: BetterSlowDown