Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best seat configuration for toddler and newborn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, if so, feel free to point out to the right thread.

I am set on buying a model X, the only question left is the best seat configuration. We are a family of four, with a 3 years old (front facing car seat) and a newborn (rear facing car seat), not planning to have another. Majority of the time, it would be just the four of us, but occasionally we might have family member coming over maybe 2-3 times a year. The usual cargo space need: just enough to put in strollers and the likes. Also, this is likely going to be a long term car, so ideally this would be used for all the way until our kids are 8-10 years old.

Any thoughts on which car seat configuration would be best for the toddler years with two car seats?

Couple of related questions:
1. Does the 5 seater have more room at the back compared to 7 seater middle row?
2. Which of the three seats config has the most middle row room?
3. If we go with the 6 seater, and put a forward facing car seat, could you easily maneuver around it to get to the back row through the middle without folding the chair?

Any other considerations that I should know of?

Thanks a bunch on the help.

For cargo capacity, the 5, followed by the 7, and then the 6. With the 5 seater, the space that would normally be taken by the 3rd row is completely available to use, so, you have quite a bit more room. Then, with the 7 seater, the seats fold flat, giving cargo capacity. The 6 seater has 2 fixed seats in the middle, which can just slide forward, and the 3rd row, like the 7, folds flat.

The most middle row room would be the 6 seater since you have the flexibility and the space between the seats is space in the middle row that you have. The 5 and 7 seater, I'm unsure of in terms of which would have more room (I believe the 7 seater middle row can slide forward, and the 5 is fixed further back?)

For the maneuverability, yes, if you have child seats in both the middle seats on a 6 seater, you can get in between them to get into the back row. You can also, depending on whether your kid is in the front-facing one or not, move that seat forward to load passengers into the 3rd row. With a rear facing seat, depending on how you keep the handle (I usually have it against the back of the front row, so, no room to move that seat forward), you may not be able to squeeze behind it from the side, and will have to go through the middle.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA
3. If we go with the 6 seater, and put a forward facing car seat, could you easily maneuver around it to get to the back row through the middle without folding the chair?
It's an old video but this channel is about a family with a Model X with 6 seats and 2 young kids.

I've had adults loving the rear row in our 6 seater, because you can stretch your legs through the middle.

I've had adults loving the rear row in our 6 seater, because you can stretch your legs through the middle.
This is true, you can have two adults on the third row only with the 6 seats,
however one adult alone would be fine on the third row in the 7 seats configuration.

So the 7 seats is a 5 adults + 2 child or 5 adults + 1 adult.

I just got a 6 seater. It's great for the toddler, but the rear-facing carseat for the newborn is a little tight. The passenger (or driver) side will have to move their seat up in order to accommodate the carseat. The great thing though, is that my wife can sit in the 3rd row and attend to the kids easily.

We can also fit the stroller in the trunk, along with 1 or 2 other bags. If you need more space, one (or both) of the 3rd row seats can be folded down. The 2nd row seats don't fold, but they do slide pretty far to make room.

6 seater is highly recommended for 2 kids.

The issue with the 6 seater and an infant is that the carseat + parent are so far apart in the middle row. My wife has to constantly reach over pretty far to comfort the baby. Just something to consider.

Also agree that the passenger seat still has to go up pretty far with the car seat in the middle row.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I've got a 6 seat MX. My 6 yo son sits in the driver side 3rd row seat (forward facing booster). My 2yo daughter sits in the second row passenger side (rear facing). My 80 lbs dog sits in the third row/trunk passenger side (with seat folded flat). On road trips, my wife will sit in second row drivers side to attend to the needs of our kids (mostly the 2 yo). The travel crib, pillows, bag of food/drinks and other miscellaneous stuff will sit in space between middle seats. I will still have enough room put a suitcase in trunk (behind 3rd seat/sons car seat) and can utilize under trunk space, frunk and front seat. I can't imagine having it any other way. It's a perfect setup. I will second what @kvs25 said . . . With the rear facing car seat in 2nd row pass seat, the front pass seat does need to be pushed up a bit. My wife is 5'11" and mostly legs, but still finds it comfortable, despite having the seat pushed forward a bit. She also doesn't mind sitting in drivers side 2nd row seat.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Thanks everyone, 6 seater seems to be the consensus here. I will take a look again in the dealership and will proceed from there. Really appreciate the inputs.
Have you considered the Y? I got a X because I have 3 kids, if I only had 2 kids I would get the Y. Cheaper, more efficient, simpler so less to break. I love my X (more space, up high, air suspension) but the Y looks great too. Tough choice!

This is super helpful. I'm four months into a a model Y, have a 7yo, 4yo and a newborn (3 kids, we are done!)

I'm thinking of adding and X to our garage and want a 6 seat so we/kids can easily access third row without help. What would you all do? Advice appreciated. Thanks!

This is super helpful. I'm four months into a a model Y, have a 7yo, 4yo and a newborn (3 kids, we are done!)

I'm thinking of adding and X to our garage and want a 6 seat so we/kids can easily access third row without help. What would you all do? Advice appreciated. Thanks!
Sell the Y and get a gently used X and a gently used 3. The Y is basically the 3 but raised. The X will give you the room, while the 3 will be a good commuter car/2nd car.

The X has automatic doors, even in the front.

We have also a 3 at home, and I just love the X more. Because of the no-touch doors :) I always get frustrated that I have to close the door on the 3 myself :)

I thought I was the only one who did not like closing the doors myself. We also have a 3 and when I get in the warning lights are always on because I forget to close the door all the way.