Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best service centers in SoCal for end of warranty inspection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys/gals,

As my initial 4yr/50k miles warranty is coming to an end, I would like to do a some sort of end of warranty inspection to see if there's anything wrong or potentially wrong with my vehicle. Which service center in SoCal is best when it comes with that kind of service? Let me know your opnions, thanks.

I'm in the same boat. I scheduled a service appt under the heading 'Something Else' and described what I wanted. They came back with an estimate of $301 which seems a bit steep to me for simply an inspection. . . .

Just like an invoice from an ICE shop, have them list what they are going to inspect and how much time it takes each one.
By California law every invoice must have it.

Know Your Rights​

When taking your vehicle to the shop for repairs or service, it’s important to know your rights. Under California’s Automotive Repair Act, you are entitled to:
  • An estimate – Before beginning any repairs, the auto shop must provide you with an estimate showing the estimated price for parts and labor and obtain your authorization.
  • An invoice – After completing all repairs, the auto shop must provide you with an invoice showing the final price for parts and labor.
  • Return of replaced parts – You can request the shop return any parts it replaces on your vehicle, but be sure to ask for those parts before authorizing the estimate.
Read our Consumer’s Guide to Auto Repair for tips on repairing your vehicle and what you can do if you have a problem with an auto shop.

Just like an invoice from an ICE shop, have them list what they are going to inspect and how much time it takes each one.
By California law every invoice must have it.

Know Your Rights​

When taking your vehicle to the shop for repairs or service, it’s important to know your rights. Under California’s Automotive Repair Act, you are entitled to:
  • An estimate – Before beginning any repairs, the auto shop must provide you with an estimate showing the estimated price for parts and labor and obtain your authorization.
  • An invoice – After completing all repairs, the auto shop must provide you with an invoice showing the final price for parts and labor.
  • Return of replaced parts – You can request the shop return any parts it replaces on your vehicle, but be sure to ask for those parts before authorizing the estimate.
Read our Consumer’s Guide to Auto Repair for tips on repairing your vehicle and what you can do if you have a problem with an auto shop.

I'll give it a shot but they kinda already broke it out. They listed a software update for the window closure problem for $0, tire pressure check for $0, and then the inspection for $301.

I'll give it a shot but they kinda already broke it out. They listed a software update for the window closure problem for $0, tire pressure check for $0, and then the inspection for $301.
I don't think "inspection" for $301 is sufficient. For that $301, are they checking seat heater temps or motor seals??? Get them to list it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I don't think "inspection" for $301 is sufficient. For that $301, are they checking seat heater temps or motor seals??? Get them to list it.
The app wouldn't let me even schedule an appt until I approved the estimate. I approved it (will likely cancel it later), set a date for mobile service, and sent them a message asking what all the inspection covers. Their response:

'Your service advisor at check in will be able to assist you with this.'

• Funny
The app wouldn't let me even schedule an appt until I approved the estimate. I approved it (will likely cancel it later), set a date for mobile service, and sent them a message asking what all the inspection covers. Their response:

'Your service advisor at check in will be able to assist you with this.'

Save a copy of the estimate and file a complaint with BAR. I believe Tesla already broke the law by not having a detailed estimate.

After this, do you feel comfortable taking your car to Tesla?

Save a copy of the estimate and file a complaint with BAR. I believe Tesla already broke the law by not having a detailed estimate.

After this, do you feel comfortable taking your car to Tesla?
I will consider the complaint. I've had great experiences with 2 diff service centers in my area and mobile service since I've owned the car, so I want to be careful not to make a name for myself unless it's something serious.

I may keep the appt and discuss what will be checked before the guy starts. When I did the 2 yr inspection the guy went over what he was gonna do and how much it would cost. I then picked and chose from that and saved money. Example: he was planning on changing out the windshield wipers and rotating the tires but I declined so didn't get charged for those.

I will consider the complaint. I've had great experiences with 2 diff service centers in my area and mobile service since I've owned the car, so I want to be careful not to make a name for myself unless it's something serious.

I may keep the appt and discuss what will be checked before the guy starts. When I did the 2 yr inspection the guy went over what he was gonna do and how much it would cost. I then picked and chose from that and saved money. Example: he was planning on changing out the windshield wipers and rotating the tires but I declined so didn't get charged for those.

I just spent 1.5hrs talking to a Field Officer from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair and he said repair shops are supposed to make it clear on the invoice what the customer is asking for.

He told me consumers can submit any complaint, big or small and he will go out and investigate.

The Field Officer also told me even though it is a Tesla shop, not all Tesla shops are ran the same. If you are not happy with one shop, just go to another one.

I just spent 1.5hrs talking to a Field Officer from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair and he said repair shops are supposed to make it clear on the invoice what the customer is asking for.

He told me consumers can submit any complaint, big or small and he will go out and investigate.

The Field Officer also told me even though it is a Tesla shop, not all Tesla shops are ran the same. If you are not happy with one shop, just go to another one.
I'll still consider it, but I have no way of knowing which service center is involved because it's a mobile service appt.

I wonder what they would actually check. With traditional cars, the dealership usually knows which parts could be breaking when it is close to the end of the warranty. They would usually try to replace those because they get paid by the manufacturer to do so. It is a win-win for both parties.

With Tesla, do they even know what would be breaking outside of what the computer shows? The only thing I could think of is the 12V. It may or may not ready to go before warranty. If it is Model X, I know the door WILL fail at one point (just not sure if it is under warranty or not). But even if they know certain part will likely fail in a short period of time, why would they actively replace it before warranty ends? It is just more work for them. I don't see why they would want to do more work when they already have piles of cars needs work done.

I did something similar back when my car was going out of warranty. I asked them to replace air filters and wiper blades since I knew they were not cover under warranty. And then I asked them to check to see if there is anything else need to be fixed. So outside of those 2 things I asked, here is the only things they listed on the invoice:

1. Check tire pressure and condition (they listed pressure and tread)
2. Reseal Front Upper Control Arm Ball Joints (resealed)
3. Replace Charge Port Pin Deadfronts (replaced 2)
4. Readjust Hood Latch (inspected and no adjustment needed)

Those are the 4 things they did for under warranty inspection and fixed. They were free under basic warranty.

Ok, so I got more replies from the SC. Here's the exchange:

SC: Hello, this is Tesla Mobile Service. We do not offer any kind of courtesy service to inspect a vehicle prior to warranty expiration. We can hower, perform a multipoint inspection and perform recommended maintenance services as needed. These services would be customer pay if you wish to proceed.

Me: But any issues found on the inspection that are warranty issues would be covered, correct? Obviously, fluids, wear and tear, etc. are not covered by warranty.

SC: We don't perform a 'warranty inspection' or check/test operation of bumper to bumper components to see if the might need to be replaced prior to warranty expiration. Components can only be replaced under warranty after they present failure and the technician can verify the failure is not caused by outside influcene.

So I just decided to have them to a standard 2 year inspection.

We are going to be road-tripping our 2017 X75D at the end of the month, so I have scheduled a multipoint inspection. The car has been in the shop multiple times already, but I don't know if they have previously done such an inspection before. What's the best way to access service records?

Depending on what they find, are there any good non-Tesla shops in the area I can consider as a backup?

You
We are going to be road-tripping our 2017 X75D at the end of the month, so I have scheduled a multipoint inspection. The car has been in the shop multiple times already, but I don't know if they have previously done such an inspection before. What's the best way to access service records?

Depending on what they find, are there any good non-Tesla shops in the area I can consider as a backup?
Your past service appts should be accessible in the app along with all the paperwork that details the work.

There are very few non-Tesla approved mechanics. About the only ones you're gonna get to work on the car are body shops and tire places. If I'm not mistaken, nobody else can get parts.

Reactions: Falcon73
You

Your past service appts should be accessible in the app along with all the paperwork that details the work.

There are very few non-Tesla approved mechanics. About the only ones you're gonna get to work on the car are body shops and tire places. If I'm not mistaken, nobody else can get parts.
Thanks. Is it possible to see the work prior to when we bought the car last Summer?

Well, here's the news. I haven't heard about "links" before. I posted this in the MX forum as well. Total bill is $2.5k. Yikes. Any thoughts are welcome. They want to replace the half shafts as well.

Concern-3.png