Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best States to Purchase From Tesla in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm moving to California end of 2017 start of 2018 but I plan to pull up stakes and visit some friends and family before I settle down again. I was wondering If I claimed residency in another state for a little while which state would be the best to take delivery on a Tesla Model 3 taking into consideration tax, title and fees as well as any state rebates for EVs. The states that I could possibly stay a while in or "call home" while I'm a bit more nomadic are....

Texas
Illinois
Connecticut
California
New Jersey

The other thing I worry about is if I did that, California could try and penalize me for moving there with such a new car. I know their taxes are higher and they're fairly aggressive (cause they're broke) when it comes to collecting on anything they can. Never rent a car at the airport, oof. Any feedback on the subject would be appreciated. That being said California has additional tax rebates for EVs that may help compensate for the tax differences and make such a plan not worth the trouble.

Thanks.

Tesla Model S and X do not qualify for the CT rebates as the rebate is limited to cars under 60k

DEEP: CHEAPR - FAQ
Thanks. Luckily this will be for the model 3 and I don't plan to option it over 50k plus, i forgot to mention the east coast states are less desirable since the eventual goal is for myself and the car to reside in SoCal. Though a cross country trip in an EV sounds like a lot of fun.

I think Louisiana has a pretty substantial tax credit, I think it's $8000.

Thanks, I'm not sure I'd want set up camp there not knowing anyone, especially since I'll want to set my mailing address somewhere I trust while I'm visiting elsewhere.

My understanding is that there is no sales tax on Teslas in New Jersey.
I had heard this. It's quite tempting to take advantage of that but as I said I'll need to drive it cross country at some point. Between the time and cost of such a trip, plus the unpredictability of the Model 3 delivery (at the moment) it's unfortunately not at the top of my list.

California charges the difference in sales tax when you register the vehicle if it's less than one year old. That can be several thousand dollars if you buy a vehicle in a low sales tax state and have to pay the difference for the California sales tax rate.

The only way around it is to not register the vehicle in CA until it's more than a year old. Could be a hassle if you actually move to CA before the year is up.

California charges the difference in sales tax when you register the vehicle if it's less than one year old. That can be several thousand dollars if you buy a vehicle in a low sales tax state and have to pay the difference for the California sales tax rate.

The only way around it is to not register the vehicle in CA until it's more than a year old. Could be a hassle if you actually move to CA before the year is up.
Thanks, that may seal the deal for me if it will be that big a hassle. It's hard to find definitive information online about it. The best I could find was some mention of mileage. Anything under a certain mileage was considered new, but if there is a time limit as well it may not be worth the hassle. I just hope some kind of state incentive helps compensate for that.

Here is the calculator: Request Rejected

I know about it because I was going to get nailed by it when we moved here from TX and my car was less than a year old. I would run the calculator and get numbers in the $2000 range to register my vehicle vs my husbands car which was older. I was not a happy camper.

I think the mileage stuff is for the smog check. Which won't be applicable for a Tesla.

Last edited:
I'm moving to California end of 2017 start of 2018 but I plan to pull up stakes and visit some friends and family before I settle down again. I was wondering If I claimed residency in another state for a little while which state would be the best to take delivery on a Tesla Model 3 taking into consideration tax, title and fees as well as any state rebates for EVs. The states that I could possibly stay a while in or "call home" while I'm a bit more nomadic are....

Texas
Illinois
Connecticut
California
New Jersey

The other thing I worry about is if I did that, California could try and penalize me for moving there with such a new car. I know their taxes are higher and they're fairly aggressive (cause they're broke) when it comes to collecting on anything they can. Never rent a car at the airport, oof. Any feedback on the subject would be appreciated. That being said California has additional tax rebates for EVs that may help compensate for the tax differences and make such a plan not worth the trouble.

Thanks.

If you live in and register your in Washington, DC, you pay Zero excise tax on your Tesla. All other non-EVs , even Hybrids are 6% . I save close to $6K in sales tax :)

All this information is great but does anyone really know what the environment will be in 2018/19 when the OP will likely take possession of his Model 3? Doubtful. For example, NY is putting in a rebate that could be worth up to $2k but there are no details at this time. In addition, other states are cutting back or sunsetting their programs. I wouldn't be making any long term plans based upon EV tax policy.

All this information is great but does anyone really know what the environment will be in 2018/19 when the OP will likely take possession of his Model 3? Doubtful. For example, NY is putting in a rebate that could be worth up to $2k but there are no details at this time. In addition, other states are cutting back or sunsetting their programs. I wouldn't be making any long term plans based upon EV tax policy.
could you also tell me what the value of tesla's stock will be that far off into the future as well? in this rapidly changing world we live in making any sort of long range prediction is really a futile undertaking.