Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to sell my 2018 P100D ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For large transactions, the only safe option is a wire transfer to your bank account.

Not the only safe option. For large transactions using a reputable escrow company is common and safe - also protects the buyer who might be weary to wire transfer you large amounts of money before getting the goods.

For expensive used car sales to private party I would prefer to use used car dealers with consignment model - I sold one of my Teslas this way, costed me ~$1,000 for the dealer to take care of the transaction, I find the buyer, they check out the buyer, I give them the car, they give me a check, they collect the money from the buyer and give them the car. If there are any issues with the buyer, not my problem - they already know how to reposes cars, etc.

For sub $10K used car sale, you can even go with cash.

Not the only safe option. For large transactions using a reputable escrow company is common and safe - also protects the buyer who might be weary to wire transfer you large amounts of money before getting the goods.

For expensive used car sales to private party I would prefer to use used car dealers with consignment model - I sold one of my Teslas this way, costed me ~$1,000 for the dealer to take care of the transaction, I find the buyer, they check out the buyer, I give them the car, they give me a check, they collect the money from the buyer and give them the car. If there are any issues with the buyer, not my problem - they already know how to reposes cars, etc.

For sub $10K used car sale, you can even go with cash.

This is good advice but in the case of a Tesla, the buyer would know no longer qualify for buying an ESA warranty, since a dealer was involved -- right?

Wow that is good to know.

That's a much better arrangement than Vroom. We looked into them and totally balked that their whole business is based on them picking up your car and giving you nothing on the spot but a promise to deposit funds to your account "once we have your car."

I surprised people are okay with how Vroom operates because we can't imagine selling a car and have someone pick it up with no payment at the time of the transaction.

If the check bounces, I guess you can file a claim with your insurance for theft?

Everything’s good, check cleared. I could not be happier with selling to carvana. I literally think I would have gotten probably $2k LESS if I went private party.

This is good advice but in the case of a Tesla, the buyer would know no longer qualify for buying an ESA warranty, since a dealer was involved -- right?
Good question. It never came up so I don't know. I am not sure the exact ESA definition of a dealer either, whether consignment places count as well (I don't think they ever register your car in their name - even when on the lot for display it stays your car and drives with your plates). That said, I imagine one option could also be to just up the price of the car by the ESA price and have the original owner buy it first.

Good question. It never came up so I don't know. I am not sure the exact ESA definition of a dealer either, whether consignment places count as well (I don't think they ever register your car in their name - even when on the lot for display it stays your car and drives with your plates). That said, I imagine one option could also be to just up the price of the car by the ESA price and have the original owner buy it first.

It would only be voided if it was listed as dealer inventory for sale. You can see that in car fax.