Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to sell my 2018 P100D ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are considering adding destination charging at your condo, contact Tesla. They often will provide you with the chargers for free.
Are you intending to making your destination charger public? Public even if you figure out a way to charge people for the electricity? That is the definition of a destination charging location. Cause if all we have to do is declare our charging location a destination charger - ME-ME Tesla give me a free wall connector. (Why would anyone every buy one then?) Tesla does provide the wall connector for free to B&Bs, businesses, and other qualifying locations, but not a charger.

This seems to have gone a different direction than the original question, but you should check out carvana, (Note: have not completed the the transaction yet, so I could be wrong) they gave me a good offer for my leaf since I just bought a P85D. I have checked reviews and they seemed mostly positive. If I remember I’ll post after Jan 2nd when they’re supposed to come buy the car. I also got a better than expected offer from Shift, but haven’t researched them much since they’re offer was lower than carvana, but they seem to deal in more high end cars so could be better.

Update on the Carvana sale. They came today, did a quick inspection and gave me a check for the car (with a bunch of paperwork to sign for the transaction). Very easy, simple transaction. No negotiating over price, they came with one check for the amount they offered that was printed days before. They said if you misrepresent the car they will just not buy it, they wouldn’t negotiate on the spot, but not sure since the Leaf was in good condition.

They gave me $100 more than the kbb private party value and it was almost $1400 more than I paid just over a year ago. So unless the check bounces, I’m very happy with the transaction.

Reactions: NeverFollow
It looks like I'll be moving to a new city and into a Condo where I won't have the ability to home charge. To make it worse, my commute will be about 75 minutes each way daily. So, I'll need to charge every other day or so. There are no supercharging stations nearby.

IF I decide to sell my Model S, how best to do that without getting slaughtered? I've only owned this car for about 8 months now, have 7000 miles on it, I've been to a couple of ICE dealers (MB, BMW, etc.) and they've shown no interest in the Tesla as a trade without me taking a 40%+ beating on an 8 month old car.

Thoughts?

I'd resort to sleeping in my P100D before giving it up to move into a condo:rolleyes:

Update on the Carvana sale. They came today, did a quick inspection and gave me a check for the car (with a bunch of paperwork to sign for the transaction). Very easy, simple transaction. No negotiating over price, they came with one check for the amount they offered that was printed days before. They said if you misrepresent the car they will just not buy it, they wouldn’t negotiate on the spot, but not sure since the Leaf was in good condition.

They gave me $100 more than the kbb private party value and it was almost $1400 more than I paid just over a year ago. So unless the check bounces, I’m very happy with the transaction.

Wow that is good to know.

That's a much better arrangement than Vroom. We looked into them and totally balked that their whole business is based on them picking up your car and giving you nothing on the spot but a promise to deposit funds to your account "once we have your car."

I surprised people are okay with how Vroom operates because we can't imagine selling a car and have someone pick it up with no payment at the time of the transaction.

If the check bounces, I guess you can file a claim with your insurance for theft?

Last edited:
Probably not, it now counts as a sales contract violation. You may not even be entitled to recover your car without suing, and if the company which issued the check filed for bankruptcy protection, you have to get in line with all the other creditors owed money.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I had always thought if you try to sell the car and you get stiffed, my car insurance would cover the loss.

That's just insane that if you get a check that bounces or Vroom or whoever never deposits the money to your account, as promised, you are essentially screwed.

I guess the only option is to go to the buyer's bank, have the bank make a wire transfer to your bank account, and after verifying the wire transfer with your bank, then sign the car over.

I had always thought if you try to sell the car and you get stiffed, my car insurance would cover the loss.

That's just insane that if you get a check that bounces or Vroom or whoever never deposits the money to your account,
as promised, you are essentially screwed.

I guess the only option is to go to the buyer's bank, have the bank make a wire transfer to your bank account,
and after verifying the wire transfer with your bank, then sign the car over.

Tesla requests cashier’s check or a wire transfer. Can't an individual requests the same from a buyer?

regions-bank-cashier-s-check_190028.jpg

I guess the only option is to go to the buyer's bank, have the bank make a wire transfer to your bank account, and after verifying the wire transfer with your bank, then sign the car over.

That is the only way I've done it in the last 20 years OR cash at the buyers bank.

There are escrow services that you can use too that specialize in vehicle transactions.

What do you mean? I thought they were definitely safe, so just want to understand.

Common myth. Cashier's checks are absolutely not "safe" and can be easily forged.

The worst part is it may take the bank a few days to figure out it was a fake Cashier's Check and by then it could be too late.

For large transactions, the only safe option is a wire transfer to your bank account. If you are getting a cashier's check, you can alleviate most concerns by going to the buyer's bank and watch the teller issue the check as then you know it is areal cashier's check. Without seeing it being issued by the bank, you never know if it's real.

Reactions: whitex
At one time banks would give you instant credit for a cashiers check. With todays printers anyone can print a fake cashiers check. Banks now process them like personal checks, no credit til they clear. Only way to know, for sure, is if you see the banker issue it.

Common myth. Cashier's checks are absolutely not "safe" and can be easily forged.

The worst part is it may take the bank a few days to figure out it was a fake Cashier's Check and by then it could be too late.

For large transactions, the only safe option is a wire transfer to your bank account. If you are getting a cashier's check, you can alleviate most concerns by going to the buyer's bank and watch the teller issue the check as then you know it is areal cashier's check. Without seeing it being issued by the bank, you never know if it's real.

Very true! I own a retail store, and after getting hosed on a forged Cashier's Check, we no longer accept ANY checks.

The worst part is that the 'check' was for $60(ish) dollars MORE than the items purchased, so we gave them cash as 'change'. So not only did we get robbed... we PAID them to steal the merch!!!

Ouch. Lessen learned. Do NOT take ANY checks.

At one time banks would give you instant credit for a cashiers check. With todays printers anyone can print a fake cashiers check. Banks now process them like personal checks, no credit til they clear. Only way to know, for sure, is if you see the banker issue it.

True... what we tell our customers is this: "Take the check to your bank and exchange it for cash... then when you get it, return with the cash and make your purchase"

Very true! I own a retail store, and after getting hosed on a forged Cashier's Check, we no longer accept ANY checks.

The worst part is that the 'check' was for $60(ish) dollars MORE than the items purchased, so we gave them cash as 'change'. So not only did we get robbed... we PAID them to steal the merch!!!

Ouch. Lessen learned. Do NOT take ANY checks.

Plus you probably paid a return check fee on top of that loss.

Everyone should be required to own and run a small business so they understand what it entails to run a business...

• Love
Reactions: Brian's ReX

Next time you talk with your car insurance agent ask, but I'm fairly sure it's not covered. It's the same as if you sell a laptop to your neighbor, you have no right to repossess the laptop if your neighbor check bounces, nor will your house insurance cover it as theft.