Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better for battery: brief Supercharge or low SOC arrival?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably more of an academic question to which there is no supporting data.

What is less stressful on the battery pack: running down to single digits or a brief supercharging session to stay above 30% SOC?

We took a trip totaling 270 miles in our LR RWD. We started the trip at 90% SOC. We could have made it home with around 5% SOC remaining. I chose to make a 12-minute stop at a Supercharger about 85 miles from home. Arrived at the SC with 32% SOC and left at 65% SOC. We arrived home with 38% SOC.

Despite all freeway driving mostly between 65 and 70 mph, I could have gone 303 miles on our 90% charge. Still amazed at the efficiency of the LR RWD. Ended the trip at 223 Wh/mi.

I don't think a brief supercharge would hurt your battery at all. The thing that could damage your battery is depleting it to zero. I read somewhere that it is really important for the health of your battery to never let it run out completely. So between the two options you described, my vote would be to supercharge briefly to reduce the chance that you would drain your battery completely. Even if you are confident that you can get home with 5% remaining, what if something happens, such as a major traffic jam or a mechanical problem and you have to pull over. Not worth the risk if you ask me. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: jim0266
I don't think a brief supercharge would hurt your battery at all. The thing that could damage your battery is depleting it to zero. I read somewhere that it is really important for the health of your battery to never let it run out completely. So between the two options you described, my vote would be to supercharge briefly to reduce the chance that you would drain your battery completely. Even if you are confident that you can get home with 5% remaining, what if something happens, such as a major traffic jam or a mechanical problem and you have to pull over. Not worth the risk if you ask me. Just my 2 cents.
I agree with this. I'd rather stop off and supercharge a small amount than risk not making it home.

Reactions: jim0266