Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Better Range: M3LR w/ Performance Boost or M3P with smaller 19' rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know which one of these 2 would net the longer range? Or would they be even?

A) Model 3 LR OEM 19' Sports Rims plus Performance Boost which I'm assuming will
B) Model 3 Performance but instead of the heavy 21' rims you swap them out for similar sized OEM 19' OEM factory sport rims

I know the Model 3 AWD LR about 20 more miles of range than the Model 3 P, but would these even out ?

The two setups you describe differ mostly in the details of the rear motor, which is slightly more optimized for low end torque on M3P vs the standard rear motor on the M3LR... otherwise it's the same battery, same front motor, same car, and with boost they're running similar max current to the motors.

So I think they'd be very close in efficiency/range, with a small edge to the M3LR on efficiency and a matching small edge to the M3P for off-the-line speed. Pick what matters more to you.

Does anyone know which one of these 2 would net the longer range? Or would they be even?

A) Model 3 LR OEM 19' Sports Rims plus Performance Boost which I'm assuming will
B) Model 3 Performance but instead of the heavy 21' rims you swap them out for similar sized OEM 19' OEM factory sport rims

I know the Model 3 AWD LR about 20 more miles of range than the Model 3 P, but would these even out ?
The Performance doesn't have worse range because the wheels are heavy, but because the tires have worse rolling resistance. If you put the same exact tire on the Performance it will have the same range as the LR. This of course may necessitate putting the same size wheel on because the same tire may not exist in 20" form, or may have worse rolling resistance in 20" form.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The two setups you describe differ mostly in the details of the rear motor, which is slightly more optimized for low end torque on M3P vs the standard rear motor on the M3LR... otherwise it's the same battery, same front motor, same car, and with boost they're running similar max current to the motors.

So I think they'd be very close in efficiency/range, with a small edge to the M3LR on efficiency and a matching small edge to the M3P for off-the-line speed. Pick what matters more to you.
The rear motor is the same, it just has more inverters, there is no range penalty from that.