Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware of scammer: Johnny Perez at Shadowcraft USA & Chicago Composites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Credit cards are no longer client friendly.
I disputed 3 charges over the past 3 years.
One was for $5,000 ... Chase ... after 2 years I had to take vendor to small claims court and WON. Chase were useless.
This year $2,000 in two charges ... another bank sided the merchant both times even though I had written proof of failure to delivery merchandize.
Now if I have a bad feeling I cut a check, then stop it. Done that once for $500. Much simpler. (You do have to act within 72 hours.)
No idea about PayPal.

Well you can't prove a negative, which is why you probably lost the disputes. If you say they never delivered, the burden is on the merchant to provide proof of delivery. If they did that, you lose. If they can't, you win. It's pretty simple. If you got hit by a porch pirate, for example, it was still delivered and the merchant no longer has liability. It's on you to file a police report. The most common form of fraud today is "friendly fraud" where a legitimate customer will claim they never received merchandise after they got it, thus defrauding the merchant. So they watch that very closely. Not saying that you were intentionally defrauding the merchant, but the CC company is probably looking at that aspect, and if the merchant gave a 3rd party proof of delivery (ie. FedEx/UPS tracking number that shows delivered to your address or a signed receipt), you will lose.

I run a lot of merchant services in my business, and believe me, most credit card companies are client leaning, not merchant leaning.

Cutting a check is about the worst thing you can do. You may think you can stop payment on it, but now more than ever checks are digitally processed. So basically if the merchant scans or deposits the check right there after you give it to him (and doesn't sit on it for a few days), chances are it will be paid before you can stop payment on it. Then you are totally out of luck. He could also go to your bank and cash it. If you were to stop payment right after you wrote it, you'd have to have a really good reason for stopping it (ie. the merchant seriously swindled you or you wrote the check out of duress), or else that could also be considered fraud. Especially if you already have the goods in hand.

Well you can't prove a negative, which is why you probably lost the disputes. SNIP
I run a lot of merchant services in my business, and believe me, most credit card companies are client leaning, not merchant leaning.

Cutting a check is about the worst thing you can do. You may think you can stop payment on it, but now more than ever checks are digi

I am so glad you know my situation better than I.
It was a large mechanical delivery ... trucks involved ... and I had photos of the vendor picking it after they could not get it to work and a signed receipt.
But refused to refund me.
Chase told me they were not interested in photos. It was NOT that simple, but I won the small claims court battle.

Separately, I stopped one check two weeks ago after I watched the merchant digitally record it in their bank app while visiting and 48 hours later it was stoppable.
(They charged me $250 for part that I could buy down the road for $25.)

I am so glad you found me guilty without knowing all the facts.

I am so glad you know my situation better than I.
It was a large mechanical delivery ... trucks involved ... and I had photos of the vendor picking it after they could not get it to work and a signed receipt.
But refused to refund me.
Chase told me they were not interested in photos. It was NOT that simple, but I won the small claims court battle.

Separately, I stopped one check two weeks ago after I watched the merchant digitally record it in their bank app while visiting and 48 hours later it was stoppable.
(They charged me $250 for part that I could buy down the road for $25.)

I am so glad you found me guilty without knowing all the facts.

I don't care whether you're guilty or not, I'm just telling you how the merchant disputes work. You're right, they don't care about pictures. Do your research on merchant disputes and you'll find everything I posted is accurate. Sorry you lost your disputes, but they don't insure ignorance (ie. not researching pricing before you purchase).

Small claims court with a judge is a completely different animal. I'm sure if you were truly wronged then a judge would see that and award you appropriately. Congrats.

Just to close the loop — Johnny never shipped the dash and I’ve been sitting on the center console with no instructions for a while. I disputed the charge and got my money back and I’m shipping the center console back. I have never experienced anything like this ...

He’s either the most unlucky person or a complete liar, but since ordering...

He’s had 3 deaths in the family
His GF totaled a car and was injured
His shop was forced to relocate
And he had some other emergencies

Just to close the loop — Johnny never shipped the dash and I’ve been sitting on the center console with no instructions for a while. I disputed the charge and got my money back and I’m shipping the center console back. I have never experienced anything like this ...

He’s either the most unlucky person or a complete liar, but since ordering...

He’s had 3 deaths in the family
His GF totaled a car and was injured
His shop was forced to relocate
And he had some other emergencies
He's posting *sugar* on Instagram again. Unreliable person trying to run a business.

Hi,
I am a owner of a M3 LR RWD, I live in Switzerland. I am reading since a couple of months in your forum to get to know whats new about Tesla in the USA. This is my first post here.

I am searching for custom carbon parts like Chicago Composites & Manufacturing LLC was selling it. Unfortunately this company is not existing anymore. Somebody know a other company, that is producing custom carbon part in this quality? Or somebody got the molds form Chicago Composites and is continuing the business?

Thanks

Marco

Just want to spread the words on this scammer, Johnny Perez of Shadowcraft USA and Chicago Composites. I first learned about him from another TMC member on his Model 3. This Johnny Scammer Perez claimed he makes custom carbon fiber splash guards for the Model 3 and is expanding the product line to the S and X. He offered me to be an early adopter. I didn't have any concern at that time as he was being used by another TMC member. So I sent him the payment in full and he said he will ship the guards in about 3 weeks. That was in early March. By mid April, still no show so I filed a claim with PayPal. PayPal placed his account on hold and of course, he got with me right away feeding me the excuse of one of his finger was cut at work thus out of mission for few weeks. He begged him to close the PayPal claim as the hold is affecting his business. He promised he will ship the guards in a week. I felt bad for him and trusted his stories so I closed the claim...guess what, it is July 1st and no show. I did more digging online, he played the same trick with other folks on several different forums as well. Beware guys...what an ass.
This guy reached out to me on IG after I was talking to the company Carbontastic about a steering wheel. Told me how his steering wheels are made in the USA and not China . I found it to be a bit odd. Thankfully I saw this post about this company before I even responded to him .

Looks like paying via credit card or PayPal is the way to go. Both can be disputed... and obviously no mercy if the guy sings you the blues. Close the claim once you receive good product and that's about it. What a scumbag.
You have obviously not charged back in a while.
Credit cards no longer just play dead.
Now I have NO credit cards.
In fact, surprise to me ... credit cards are an American tool.
In Europe there are none.

NOVEMBER 2020 UPDATE:

Johnny is still out there taking people's money and not shipping anything to his customers - BIG TIME SCAMMER !!!

Came across him on instagram. Same way as people on here who was told his steering wheel is made in USA, better than the Chinese ones blah blah. Me being naive, I fell right in his trap despite doing a research on him and his company. I did read through this thread but thought since the post was created in 2018, he might've changed - giving him benefit of the doubt and he was soooo convincing in my dm (direct message) on my instagram, I decided to get my steering wheel done by him. He literally sold me dreams talking about how he is going to, word for word - blow it out the water with this steering wheel. You can only imagine my excitement - it was over the roof.

Paid him on 16th September 2020. I even spoke to him on the phone for nearly 45 minutes (from UK to Chicago). I was promised to have the steering wheel delivered within 4 weeks, if not by 6 weeks MAX.

Over two weeks in - on 2nd of October 2020 - I sent him a message on instagram asking how the steering wheel is coming along. I was told he needed to finish up some projects he was working on and will start on mine the following week. So I said cool, please keep me updated.

I sent him another message on 10th of October - since he said he was going to start working on mine from the following week. Nearly the end of the week and still had no update from him. He then replied saying his lease for his shop was going to end and was moving to a new place blah bah and how things got real bad for him at the start of the year etc etc - should've realised that he was talking absolute nonce. He sent me bunch of pictures of some random place - guess, he was trying to make it seem more realistic.

I sent him ANOTHER message - on 16th October 2020 - asking him what is going on? same rubbish again - telling me how he's going to be settling in into the new shop by the end of the week and tells me two weeks from then I will have my steering wheel.

At this point, I'm about to lose it! I was told that I'd be "updated every step of the way" during the end of the last conversation we had on 16th of October 2020 - LOL!

I sent him yet another message on Thursday 29th of October asking for an update. No reply whatsoever - ghosted! Today is now - 2nd of November 2020 and not a single update from him. Sent him another message saying I'm done waiting and want my money back. This is the funny part - He tells me " I won't be able to refund you because I currently don't have the funds to process a refund.....Currently I'm completely spent on the new shop. First month's rent, two security deposits, etc. 12k out of pocket and not even in a shop yet"

Whoever is reading this, I'm literally begging you - DO NOT do business with this guy!!!! Absolute waste of time and money!!!
He has two instagrams:
@shadowcraftusa and @shadowcraftsteering
His name is : Johnny / John.

Attachments

• IMG_2806.PNG
    IMG_2806.PNG
    465.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2798.PNG
    IMG_2798.PNG
    507.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2797.PNG
    IMG_2797.PNG
    480 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2793.PNG
    IMG_2793.PNG
    351.6 KB · Views: 86
this part....gotta place at least 50% of blame on yourself. Not like there arent other reputable options out there..

I fell right in his trap despite doing a research on him and his company. I did read through this thread but thought since the post was created in 2018, he might've changed

this part....gotta place at least 50% of blame on yourself. Not like there arent other reputable options out there..

I fell right in his trap despite doing a research on him and his company. I did read through this thread but thought since the post was created in 2018, he might've changed

Yes, of course I blame myself for trusting a guy like him. Still gotta do my part to let the others know.

Glad to see this thread still up. He offered to do chrome delete on my car and it took him 3x longer and he didnt really finish the job. He also took the liberty of using plasti-dip in multiple locations which i never approved.

Definitely a traveling scammer. I ended up paying him less than half and blocked his dms after leaving. He was super shady from the first time I met him. Stating he's been in business for over 10 years, but has to move locations and is "working on fixing his website". The endless ponzi style scams are the reason he doesn't have a website, but instead, only uses fly by night IG accounts.

BUYER BEWARE.

Has new IG as shadowcraftusa and shadowcraftsteering

He actually did a wheel for me and I got it. Miracle.
Took only 6 months and constant threats to get it. I actually pre paid him for some work too and got that money back after filing a credit card dispute. Guy is bad news

i know this is old but i just wanted to warn anyone whos thinking to order from him.

aug 1st ordered and promised ship within a week.

aug 10th. nothing and requested photos, he said will send next day. NOTHING

aug 17th. requested refund, he said will refund in next few days. Nothing again,

aug 29th. messaged for status no longer replying my message. filed a dispute with my CC.

his instagram is carbonguards

website thecarbonguards.com