TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Beware of scammer: Johnny Perez at Shadowcraft USA & Chicago Composites

Discussion in 'Model S' started by stklee, Jul 1, 2018.

1. stklee

stklee Member

Just want to spread the words on this scammer, Johnny Perez of Shadowcraft USA and Chicago Composites. I first learned about him from another TMC member on his Model 3. This Johnny Scammer Perez claimed he makes custom carbon fiber splash guards for the Model 3 and is expanding the product line to the S and X. He offered me to be an early adopter. I didn't have any concern at that time as he was being used by another TMC member. So I sent him the payment in full and he said he will ship the guards in about 3 weeks. That was in early March. By mid April, still no show so I filed a claim with PayPal. PayPal placed his account on hold and of course, he got with me right away feeding me the excuse of one of his finger was cut at work thus out of mission for few weeks. He begged him to close the PayPal claim as the hold is affecting his business. He promised he will ship the guards in a week. I felt bad for him and trusted his stories so I closed the claim...guess what, it is July 1st and no show. I did more digging online, he played the same trick with other folks on several different forums as well. Beware guys...what an ass.

• Informative x 7
  2. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

thanks for the info

3. croman

croman Active Member

Call your credit card company if you used that to PayPal. Otherwise I'd call Chicago police to file a claim. I'd also see if PayPal will reopen the claim. Good luck and sorry.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

...also post his website etc ...:eek:

5. stklee

stklee Member

Unfortunately, I paid with my PayPal account balance. Would the police department really take calls like this? Thanks!

6. stklee

stklee Member

7. croman

croman Active Member

I live in Chicago so filing a police report might require you to be here but I've telephoned in criminal fraud complaints in other jurisdictions for internet fraud. I haven't tried it as an outsider here. Worth a call to the non emergency number.

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Pretty sure this is the same guy who scammed a bunch of Roadster owners several years ago.

9. .jg.

.jg. Member

You could report it here: FTC Complaint Assistant and they will point you in the right direction.
    Googling Johnny Perez "Shadowcraft" shows similar complaints in Lamborghini and Audi R8 forums.

10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Also report his account to IG ..I looked at his pages it actually looks legit I can see how this guy scammed folks ..but if you have IG pls report there as well

11. billyripkin

billyripkin Member

Throwing in my 2 cents here. John just finished up a large project on my Model 3. Took much longer than I initially expected but in the end it turned out great.

Attached Files:

• 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      359.4 KB
      Views:
    • 19.JPG
      19.JPG
      File size:
      469.3 KB
      Views:
    • Like x 1
  12. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

I saw his post on Instagram. He reached out to me after I asked publicly if this is the same Shadowcraft that TMC members had issues with. He mentioned these problems occurred when he was young and he has made those people whole.

I am not in the business of being judge or jury, but did he make good with those that had issues? @stklee or anyone else.

I am all for forgiveness, as long as it is legit. I was young and dumb once as well.

13. bonnie

He never made me whole. And there are many others he didn't make whole.

To be specific, he owes me a set of CF Roadster tail lights that I paid for. Also a set of CF Roadster door sills. Also paid for.

I am not the only owner.

He's very slick - the first few people get their stuff right away, so he gains trust in the community. And then the excuses start.

I inquired over on the Roadster forum after seeing this thread - a few responses indicate that it is the same guy. Carbon fiber scams

• Like x 1
  14. bonnie

Yep, this is how he does it. He fulfills a few of the early orders & then disappears. You were lucky.

Here is a thread he started several years ago when he was CarbonOne: Carbon fiber tail light idea.

15. outdoors

outdoors Supporting Member

Told him he needs to make people whole. Then he needs to explain both publicly and privately why this occured or he will continue to have a bad reputation. In today's world it's getting harder and harder to hide after screwing people.

• Like x 1