Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware Roadster #1126 Valley Auto Maxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my Roadster, it was from a relatively small used-car dealership (in New York state).
Now, it was a legitimate dealership, and a legitimate car but, the transaction(s) happened just like you're talking about these scams happening.

Which bodes ill for those legitimate dealers who may find it more difficult to handle niche market vehicles in the future.

I think people just need to be a bit more cautious.

For instance, before sending any deposit money, ask them to send you some photo of some part of the car that hasn't been seen before.
Perhaps a photo of the date/time/GPS location from the nav.
Or a photo of the date/time from an phone or newpaper held up next to the car.

All of these scams seem to involve reusing old photos.
And they likely involve some entity that doesn't actually have a Roadster in their possession.

I think people just need to be a bit more cautious.

For instance, before sending any deposit money, ask them to send you some photo of some part of the car that hasn't been seen before.
Perhaps a photo of the date/time/GPS location from the nav.
Or a photo of the date/time from an phone or newpaper held up next to the car.

All of these scams seem to involve reusing old photos.
And they likely involve some entity that doesn't actually have a Roadster in their possession.

Good suggestion. A new pic with date on cellphone or newspaper would also show different lighting and probably background from the original pic as well.

Really good suggestions, especially the idea of new picture (checking the XIF data, though that can be forged). Cross-check everything possible with independent sites. Google picture search can be used to locate the forged source. As yourself "What would TEG do?"

I shudder to think back to my own Roadster purchase. It was from a reputable (but new to me) dealer (Shift in San Francisco), but I ended up paying for the whole car - not just a deposit - sight unseen other than the on-line pictures, but with a written (email) 7 day / 250 mile full return policy. This was after a number of email, phone exchanges, a chat with the local SC, and lots of Googling, so I was pretty confident that the place and car were real, but it was a certainly big risk. A big issue was that I couldn't travel to see the car, even though it was only 130 miles away, due to family issues. Needless to say, it worked out, but what would I do today if I had to do it over again? Shudder...

automaxx1.png

855-281 Phone Numbers
855-281-1150
Stevens Ave, West Long Branch, New Jersey

I was noticing this "too good to be true" listing on Carfax:
5YJRE1A16A1001126 | 2010 Tesla Roadster for sale in Spokane Valley, WA
  • Price: $48,700
  • Mileage: 2,119
  • Engine: Electric
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • Drive Type: RWD
  • Fuel Type: Electric
  • MPG City/Hwy: N/A
  • Exterior Color: Black
  • Interior Color: N/A
  • VIN: 5YJRE1A16A1001126
  • Stock #: VAM095
2010 Tesla Roadster | Valley Auto Maxx

It appears that all of the pictures are a careful "photoshop" manipulation of the #1160 listing from here:
2010 Tesla Roadster Dallas, Texas | Starwood Motors
i have reported these RUSSIAN MOBSTERS to the FBI and SPOKANE POLICE.