Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beware the curbs and parking stops!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tomas

Out of warranty...
Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2012
Santa Barbara/New York
The other day I pulled into a normal looking parking place. Jockeying backwards a bit, I heard a crunch/thunk. Front bumper cover had caught on parking stop and pulled out of the clips. Nose cone too. So it was all hanging down loosely a couple of inches. No visible scrapes, the bottom trim probably roughed up, but that happens a lot and is not visible. After inventing some new curse words, I set about pushing everything back onto clips. Mostly secure, but one edge not flush. Stopped by local service center, and they were kind enough to line up and secure all clips for me (without appointment). Whew. More kudos to Tesla service team. I've read lots of complaints here, but my experiences over 4 years at 3 service centers always above and beyond!

Lesson learned: never pull all the way to the front of a parking spot. I wonder how long I'll remember?

The MS is BIG and kind of low for slant parking curbs. I tend to pull forward to avoid sticking out in the back.

Yesterday, I almost had my first "incident" at a normal-height curb at a diagonal parking spot on the street. I thought that I had about a foot between the tire and the curb and that the bumper cover would be above the curb height. Wrong!

The bumper cover was about a quarter of an inch away from the curb and a good inch below it. I got lucky. Maybe I should have ordered the air suspension.

Here's a photo (you can see that other drivers weren't so lucky):
IMG_5903.JPG

Reactions: mrElbe