Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BIK/Fuel Benefit Charge & Supercharging/Non Workplace Charging Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HMRC states:

As electricity is not a road fuel, the car fuel benefit charge does not apply to electric charging. If an employee uses a company car, no BIK arises on charging their vehicle at the workplace.

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../ultra-low-emission-vehicles-tax-benefits.pdf

Tax law does not treat electricity as a fuel. As a result, for Pure-electric cars:
  • The fuel benefit charge in s149 ITEPA 2003 does not apply to any electricity supplied by an employer - no benefit in kind arises if an employer pays to charge a Pure-electric company car (e.g. the car is charged at work), regardless of the level of private mileage.
  • Advisory Fuel Rates (AFRs)[2] cannot be used to reimburse employees for the cost of electricity paid for personally but used for business travel.

Electric cars and employee benefits | The Association of Taxation Technicians

But... It says " at the workplace"... so can your employer/company pay for supercharging say... via company credit card? I don't want to incur any BIK for me or NI for my company! I wonder if anyone else has read into this a bit more? Seems a bit vague?

Its more for discussion! I know its a bit of a grey area!

Last edited: