Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bio Defense MODE QUESTION Pollen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

munque

Mar 21, 2018
usa
A few question.

I have a model x with the bio hazard mode.

..."As Tesla describes it, “The biodefense button is designed to allow clean medical-grade air into the cabin and keep contaminated air out. When deployed, it pushes the system into full fresh mode, pulling all HVAC air through the HEPA filter. The fan goes to max speed 11, pulling in enough air to slightly pressurize the cabin, keeping other air from entering Model X.”

I see the fan go to 10 not 11 when turning it on the Model X.

I have allergies now.

Should I turn on bio mode on ? Wouldn't the fresh air bring more pollen in to the cabin?

Or increase fan to 11 and recirculate air? The air would be cleaned and no outside pollen would enter? I would this would be the better option?

Does the bio mode do anything difference than increase the fan speed that create positive pressure?

Photo

Attachments

• 80E52194-1539-4882-9DD6-3DC54E762D21.jpeg
    80E52194-1539-4882-9DD6-3DC54E762D21.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 192
  • B1B3CADF-5B7C-4DD3-B6CB-23731C18FD2B.jpeg
    B1B3CADF-5B7C-4DD3-B6CB-23731C18FD2B.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 145
> Wouldn't the fresh air bring more pollen in to the cabin?

No, because in bio-mode all the air goes through the filter first. The pollen will be filtered out.

I speculate that with bio mode off, some outside air gets pulled in WITHOUT going through the filter. (I would prefer all air to always be filtered, without the need for fan-heavy bio mode - but I don't understand the system enough to say why they don't do this).

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
> Wouldn't the fresh air bring more pollen in to the cabin?

No, because in bio-mode all the air goes through the filter first. The pollen will be filtered out.

I speculate that with bio mode off, some outside air gets pulled in WITHOUT going through the filter. (I would prefer all air to always be filtered, without the need for fan-heavy bio mode - but I don't understand the system enough to say why they don't do this).

Air going through the HVAC system from outside always goes through the full filter stack, HEPA and carbon. However, cars generally aren't airtight systems. Small gaps in seals in the cabin will leak small amounts of air inside, especially if a gust hits them.

The only thing that Bioweapon mode does on a Bioweapon car is pressurize the cabin slightly so that all the little leaks go from inside to outside instead (mostly by driving the fan speed up. It's never been clear whether there's anything else like closing exhausts.)

Thus, I'm very seldom in Bioweapon mode, but I'm grateful most every day for the Bioweapon filters, which I get the benefits from without going into the mode.

For the OP: Maybe use Bio briefly to flush the cabin after it's been opened - the filters will certainly stop the pollen from coming in with the air - but you probably don't need to stay in Bio mode all the time, unless you notice something getting in when you're out of the mode.