Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black Exterior Door Jambs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fairly meticulous when it comes to cleaning my car but this is section that I don't think I've ever looked at.
Yes, you certainly wouldn't look there unless you knew. To be fair the paint is pretty good (for Tesla) everywhere that's visible on mine. I know some have had "shockers" delivered but mine is generally satisfactory other than in this particular area. If it is as they say, i.e. not an issue and the base coat does the protection, then fair enough. I suppose the next few years will tell the tale! Plus I suspect the majority haven't even looked there as you suggest.

I'm fairly meticulous when it comes to cleaning my car but this is section that I don't think I've ever looked at.
I am meticulous too and I do clean these parts, not every time, but I must say with all the cars that I have owned, and that's a lot, I have never come across a poor paint finish remotely close to this before, never! I'm still in shock to be quite honest. The response that "paint that is on hinges/hidden by another panel is not covered by warranty" is just mind blowing and then to say "We have confirmed with the technical teams that this is within standard" - what standard are they referring to? Did we know about this standard before we placed our orders? I am not sure this standard will be fit for our UK salted winter roads over years. Is there a corrosion warranty? TBH I am questioning whether buying at all is doing the right thing now.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
For reassurance (possibly) a long thread on the TOG Facebook group seems to suggest all model X are like this and lots of 3's. So it isn't great but it does appear to be common. No-one on the TOG group reporting any rust etc and some of those cars have a few years under their belts.

then to say "We have confirmed with the technical teams that this is within standard" - what standard are they referring to?

They are referring to their standards and how they have specified the cars are to be painted. Every Model 3 comes from the factory like that. So if you looked at a car in the showroom your should have seen that before you bought one.

Essentially they aren't wasting paint by putting on things that don't show, and count on the e-coat to protect the metal.

• Disagree
Reactions: Keeper
After reading these post and seeing the photos people have posted i thought i will have a really good look at my doors etc.

All my doors & Frunk seem to be covered in paint as expected but my boot lid on the hinges are light in paint coverage.

I will bring this up at my service visit next week as we have all paid the same amount of money for the same spec as the next person (Mine is SR+) so if someone else has good paint coverage all over and mine is not - i either expect a discount (This definitely wont happen) or it to be rectified. I don't care if they say "it will be ok", that's not the point. @uday i would get that sorted.

i.e - You would not pay (or get him to rectify it) a decorator the full amount if he did not paint behind the sofa when you asked him to paint the whole front room?

@Keeper - If they say "within Standards", look for an M3 that is near perfect (Paint coverage) and tell them that is standard and yours is definitely not.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and Keeper
After reading these post and seeing the photos people have posted i thought i will have a really good look at my doors etc.

All my doors & Frunk seem to be covered in paint as expected but my boot lid on the hinges are light in paint coverage.

I will bring this up at my service visit next week as we have all paid the same amount of money for the same spec as the next person (Mine is SR+) so if someone else has good paint coverage all over and mine is not - i either expect a discount (This definitely wont happen) or it to be rectified. I don't care if they say "it will be ok", that's not the point. @uday i would get that sorted.

i.e - You would not pay (or get him to rectify it) a decorator the full amount if he did not paint behind the sofa when you asked him to paint the whole front room?

@Keeper - If they say "within Standards", look for an M3 that is near perfect (Paint coverage) and tell them that is standard and yours is definitely not.

@davidmc can you please post some pictures? I will show them as a reference and get it rectified or return the car. I have no problem in returning the car and won't order it for another year if Tesla does not allow me to order. Period.

@davidmc can you please post some pictures? I will show them as a reference and get it rectified or return the car. I have no problem in returning the car and won't order it for another year if Tesla does not allow me to order. Period.
Quick pic of hinge area, my boot hinges are the worst but seems ok everywhere else

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_163221.jpg
    IMG_20190906_163221.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Informative
Quick pic of hinge area, my boot hinges are the worst but seems ok everywhere else
Hi, I think it's the section in front of this we are talking about. So with the doors wide open, look into the gap past the leading edge of the door from the outside. Our cars look fine viewed from the same angle as your shot - it's the front bulk head bit which is the concern, albeit it seems to be a very common "problem". Let us know what you find please. Cheers.

I had a look at some new Model 3s today at Heathrow to check for myself the quality of the paint finish. Externally they all looked good, even up under the rear number plate projection which had been raised as a possible thin coat area - all were ok (checked about 10 cars). I couldn't see under the bonnet because all closed as were the boots. I did manage to stand behind one open front drivers side door on a blue car and sure enough - I could see primer on the inside of the front wing where it meets the bulk head. With just a bit more attention (robot programming) during spraying would eliminate this paint deficiency. I do not know if it is like this on all cars. The car was just being picked up by the new owner so I had to be discreet. I am positive this will be seen when you open the door. It didn't look good for a "new" car IMHO.:oops:

Reactions: Rooster6655
To be honest I don't think door jambs on a car is something I have really taken much notice of. However, out of curiosity, I have just gone outside to look at the door jambs on my wife's 10 year old Toyota Yaris. The paintwork on all 4 is perfect! Given that I seem to recall paying £6,000 for this car some 7 years ago I find this quite extraordinary. It goes without saying that in a great many aspects, my wife's 10 year old Toyota is a museum piece compared to an M3 but I am shocked that something as basic as paintwork, which I would have assumed on a car costing the thick end of £50,000 would have been vastly superior to a humble little Toyota is actually inferior. I'm really not impressed. I am truly excited by the whole idea of BEVs and have huge respect for the whole EV idea, I would have to think long and hard before stumping up that kind of dosh. It will be interesting to see how the upcoming VW ID3 will compare on the quality front. I very much want Tesla to succeed big time but am quite saddened by this kind of poor attention to detail, poor quality control and the obvious below par levels of customer service suffered by so many on this forum. I truly hope that Tesla ups it's game.

Reactions: Roy W.
I don't know why you'd find it extraordinary, it's the norm with pretty much every car manufacturer for the last 20 odd years or more.

I'd expect the VW ID3 to have paint everywhere like any other car they'd make.

The fact people are saying it's the norm for Model 3's so it's no big deal is depressing really. Why they are spraying the doors on the car or whatever they're doing is a mystery to me. Perhaps someone will say it's "disruptive" and therefore cool.

Which is not how to spray a car imho.

No idea how they make adjustment to doors etc if they have sprayed over the fixings

Apparently Porsche doesn't know how to paint cars either:

You can go to ~11:00 to see them painting the car with the doors on.
You can go to ~20:40 to see where it is missing paint in the door jambs because of having been painted with the doors on.

And this is for a car that starts at $150k.

Gone are the days of covering everything with the exterior paint color. (Because they dip the entire car in the e-coat to protect all of the surfaces, no need to waste paint where it is hardly ever, if ever, seen.) You can see how that works at about 6:40 in the video.

I will hate seeing, every time I open my door, bare body primer behind the front wing and bulkhead area. As far as I can tell Tesla do not sell body coloured touch up spray cans. Does anybody know of the equivalent colours that could be used to match the 5 Tesla colours, that could be available over the counter I.e. Halfords or Ford? Is this feasible? Anyone tried a match?

Also, thinking about the boot space roof, which again will hate looking at every time I see it (rarely, I know), it too could be sprayed with a can or I was wondering if there is a market for a pre cut coloured wrap up there. Alternatively I may use some of that thin grey fibrey carpet with some impact adhesive ( I know there are cut outs to be done).

If I’m going to spray then the front wing/bulkhead area will have to be done more or less straight away. I wonder if that will invalidate the corrosion warranty? It just seems crazy having to contemplate this on a brand new car (Mr Musk, if you’re reading this, lol) Any thoughts or should I just take a chill pill! :cool:

Mine isn't as "bad" as that but there is thin paint in that position. It appears to be fairly common but not exactly right for a £50k + car. We also have some thin paint on the boot hinges. What I don't know and can't get any definitive advice on, is whether this actually poses a problem or not. The delivery centre said "no problem" but then they seem to be knocking back a lot of things. For sure the primer is there but is it enough to inhibit corrosion longer term?

I'd be very keen to hear what Tesla say about your car if you're able to post back please.

Cheers
Yes as that's what it's for as for protection of primer or asthetics of it that's what's not there. The primer does all protection not top coats

I am meticulous too and I do clean these parts, not every time, but I must say with all the cars that I have owned, and that's a lot, I have never come across a poor paint finish remotely close to this before, never! I'm still in shock to be quite honest. The response that "paint that is on hinges/hidden by another panel is not covered by warranty" is just mind blowing and then to say "We have confirmed with the technical teams that this is within standard" - what standard are they referring to? Did we know about this standard before we placed our orders? I am not sure this standard will be fit for our UK salted winter roads over years. Is there a corrosion warranty? TBH I am questioning whether buying at all is doing the right thing now.
yeh id be asking to see a copy of the spec and standard t this point as there is potentiality a lawsuit building with all this bad paint work. if they cant provide that then they have zero legs to stand on and their warranty is worthless for any of their paint as they can basically claim a nude car is in standard if they dont have one.

worked with standards in aerospace quite a bit everything from paint code colour application and texture is covered.

for example look here
http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-DTL/MIL-DTL-53039E_51370/

Apparently Porsche doesn't know how to paint cars either:

You can go to ~11:00 to see them painting the car with the doors on.
You can go to ~20:40 to see where it is missing paint in the door jambs because of having been painted with the doors on.

And this is for a car that starts at $150k.

Gone are the days of covering everything with the exterior paint color. (Because they dip the entire car in the e-coat to protect all of the surfaces, no need to waste paint where it is hardly ever, if ever, seen.) You can see how that works at about 6:40 in the video.
I am wondering if it is a fact of don't paint where it shouldn't be seen.

then I think no fek that we paint aircraft fully in bays that are never opened for more reasons obviously than a car but just think how much more it costs us to do that.