Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black + OptiCoat Pro + Swirls?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning here in the next few months to get paint correction and OptiCoat Pro applied. I feel like I'm doing the best I can to avoid swirls, but still get them, and I hear that even OptiCoat Pro is susceptible to swirls. Anyone finding less swirls after application and if you are getting them how does one go about removing them?

It's almost impossible to avoid swirls on a daily driver. Opticoat should provide you with additional protection, but it isn't like paint armor or Xpel. You still have to use reasonable washing methods (e.g., two bucket, quality microfibers, boar hair, etc.)

I have seen essentially no swirls after getting a full detail/perfection and then OptiCoat Pro. Nothing is foolproof, and you still need to exercise caution, but it is very impressive to me how much harder and scratch resistant the finish is now. Also dirt washes off easier, especially the rims.

While applying a high end coating like GTechniq or Opti-Coat (choose GTechniq :biggrin:) will certainly REDUCE the chances of getting swirl marks, wash marks and Micro-Marring, it's all about the follow up maintenance as well. While it should be obvious that automated car washes, even brushless ones, are NOT the way to go, improper hand washing can cause damage just as easy.

I ALWAYS tell my customers that if they are paying to have the GTechniq Coating system applied to their cars, they have more protection and the need to wash a car as soon as it gets dirt is not as high. It's always better to wait and wash your car properly then it is to wash it just to get it done.

Most of the swirls, not the ones dealers or sometimes factory induced, are a result of improper washing and/or polishing/waxing. Tesla paint is pretty soft, so it's prone to swirls and scratches.

Putting on coatings such as opti-coat, gtech, etc. will help, but it will not prevent.

A proper, all-natural lambs wools wash mitt, high quality microfiber towels, not the cheap ones from costco, will help tremendously.

If done correctly, you can minimize swirls and imperfections dramatically. You can never avoid them, but you can do an excellent job of managing them.

I am planning here in the next few months to get paint correction and OptiCoat Pro applied. I feel like I'm doing the best I can to avoid swirls, but still get them, and I hear that even OptiCoat Pro is susceptible to swirls. Anyone finding less swirls after application and if you are getting them how does one go about removing them?

As a professional detailer that has worked on many Teslas and owns a Jet Black BMW (one of the softest and most finicky paints out there) I recommend you to go with either GTechniq C1/EXOv2 coating for long term protection (up to 5 years) or with C.Quartz Finest for short term protection (2 years) for the following reasons:

1- Superb hydrophobic properties - Helps reduce the introduction of new marring or swirls to the car.
2- Higher Gloss finish - The wet look

I only recommend Opti-Coat Pro to clients who own a light color Tesla. Dark Colors always get C.Quartz Finest or GTechniq

Note - I am an authorized detailer for all major brands of coatings in the states...I know coatings...I work with all of them

...and please, find someone that really knows what the hell they're doing..don't shop around based on price but on quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for the continued advice, Pete. My local expert (Joe) applied OptiCoat Pro to my multi-coat Red. Looks & works great even after multiple washes...and no waxing..:)

My pleasure...Opti-Coat Pro is a really good coating and I use it pretty often on light color Teslas but GTechniq C1/EXOv2 just gives the better finish on dark colors.

GTechniq on red
IMG_1911.png

Ya, Opti Coat Pro on my Blue. Looks fantastic and washes so easy. Pete is definitely right about the installer being critical. Mine was/is a maniac for details. Very happy.

Mine too. Sort of reminds me about anyone who does painting (like your house). Anyone can paint, but it is the prep that is really hard to do right. Would you try to polish/perfect the delicate soft paint on your $100k Model S yourself prior to applying a sealant? And when you cut too deep, or make the swirls worse, how much paint/clear coat do you have left? I factored in the cost of repeated clay treatments and waxes over the next few years, and I came out ahead (IMHO).

I had opti-coat done recently on my black Model S. Looked better than factory when I got it back. My detailer, based out of Miami, sent me a YouTube link. I have Tesla factory paint armor and then had the whole hood wrapped by Tesla Dania Beach right after delivery in January 2013. Advanced Moble Detailing in case you are interested.
Tesla Model S /Opti Coat Pro by Advanced Detailing of South Florida - YouTube

I had opti-coat done recently on my black Model S. Looked better than factory when I got it back. My detailer, based out of Miami, sent me a YouTube link. I have Tesla factory paint armor and then had the whole hood wrapped by Tesla Dania Beach right after delivery in January 2013. Advanced Moble Detailing in case you are interested.
Tesla Model S /Opti Coat Pro by Advanced Detailing of South Florida - YouTube

Actually caught this video before you posted it. Looks unreal - the mirror finish is amazing. And it says in the vid that you drive it 60 miles daily as commuter? Awesome. I will be doing same ~100 mile RT commute.

Actually caught this video before you posted it. Looks unreal - the mirror finish is amazing. And it says in the vid that you drive it 60 miles daily as commuter? Awesome. I will be doing same ~100 mile RT commute.

Watched the video and noticed there are still imperfections such as scratches left in the paint. I realized client did not ask for complete correction. It's my understanding, that with coatings such as nano or opti-coat/guard, those imperfections need to be removed or the coating is simply not going to perform to optimal levels. These super coatings need a perfectly level and imperfection-free surface to bond to.