Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black or white model 3?

massonron192

Model 3 performance on order
Nov 5, 2019
Philadelphia
Recently ordered a performance model 3 with black exterior. However, I’m thinking about switching over to white now. Was wondering if anyone had inputs on the black vs white paint. I’m worried about black getting scratched and with the white, worried about looking bad 2-3 years later when the polish dulls.

massonron192

Model 3 performance on order
Nov 5, 2019
Philadelphia
I originally decided on black and then went with white for durability, maintainability, lower cost, and that I ended up thinking that the white was better looking. The black tends to disguise some of the design elements of the car. And the pearl effect adds depth.
That’s what I’m thinking. Had a white car now for several years and been wanting a black car but feel with a Tesla the white shows the lines more.

Reactions: RScottyL

adaminfl

Nov 2, 2019
Wellington, FL
I had a black Corvette Stingray Z06 with black rims. It was impossible to keep clean. I’ve always said I’d never own a white car. Currently have a white Acura RDX A-Speck with black rims and red interior and I love it. M3P in order. White/Black. Going to dechrome it which makes it look that much better. To bad no red seat option. Similar to the below, but with black side mirrors.

adaminfl

Nov 2, 2019
Wellington, FL
B7353CEE-03C6-4DCA-9B42-1A22597F127F.jpeg

Attachments

• 9791D1D5-FBA1-4C6F-B29C-E7A09FEA502C.jpeg
    9791D1D5-FBA1-4C6F-B29C-E7A09FEA502C.jpeg
    690.9 KB · Views: 310
Reactions: tren01t

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
Black looks awesome when cleaned and polished. It loses a lot with even a sprinkling of dust.

White shows off lines better than any color. I think that’s why it takes my breath away, just a little, whenever I see one.

If you keep white polished and clean, it should never lose it’s luster. You might consider a ceramic or similar coating.

Rachmaninov

Supporting Member
Jul 17, 2019
NJ
Black cars look best!

BUT only for about 1/2 hour after you fully detail them, after that short time every dust spec, paint imperfection, minor scratch etc etc etc will drive you crazy.

camalaio

May 28, 2019
Vernon, BC, Canada
Black almost universally will show every swirl, scratch, layer of dust, etc.

We have a black Honda Fit. It shows every scratch, swirl, and spec of dust very well compared to other vehicles we've had.

That said, sometimes people just like the black.

FutureShock

Aug 30, 2017
NorCal
White readily shows dirt and dust too, but nothing is quite as bad as black in that regard.

Really, only certain shades of silver or gray are any help on that. :(

inthecity

May 13, 2019
Canada
Black on this car is fantastic, the way it hides some of the lines just makes the car look so sleek and agile. That said, the only questions you need to ask are how often do you like to wash your car and how bothered are you by a dirty car? :)

inthecity

May 13, 2019
Canada
Another point is with white becoming the free colour, they’re everywhere if that matters to you.
In my day to day I rarely ever see another black model 3, they’re mostly red and some grey.

Chisale

Sep 28, 2019
Ohio
I think the white looks great on the M3 but I know what you mean about the luster. If you see two white Teslas next to each other at a SC and one is more than a year older than the other it does really show. Not anything you'd notice though unless they were side by side.

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
I think the white looks great on the M3 but I know what you mean about the luster. If you see two white Teslas next to each other at a SC and one is more than a year older than the other it does really show. Not anything you'd notice though unless they were side by side.

Agreed. This is where aftermarket coatings come in handy. Expensive, but it should keep the white... white.

Reactions: Chisale

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC