Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black seat issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I got a 3 long range and within 2 weeks of having it my black seats started peeling and flaking this white spot in a part of the seat I don’t have any interaction with. It looked like the white stuff was coming through the stitching. Tesla replaced it under warranty and admitted it looked like the stuff was coming through the stitching when they opened it up. Now less than a month later it happened again and Tesla are now saying it is my fault from chemicals or whatever as they “haven’t seen this before” (I searched and have seen there seems to be a lot of issues with the vegan seats). They cleaned the seat and said they won’t replace it again even though since they cleaned it it’s leaking white stuff already! Recently it has started oozing stuff through the seams and it has mainly been my driver seat but now the Passenger seat is doing the exact same thing after a friend sat in it for a day. My friend thinks it’s the pressure of someone sitting in the seat having the material come through the stitching. I’ve looked it up and seen people have similar issues. As Tesla won’t replace it and are blatantly saying it is my fault despite the evidence pointing to the opposite I am considering legal action. Anyone else had this same issue ? So disappointing and the worst customer experience I’ve ever had.

Attachments

• 255ADC88-B6CD-4139-A2F8-C4804D8593F5.jpeg
    255ADC88-B6CD-4139-A2F8-C4804D8593F5.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 347
  • 21D79569-BDF8-4079-BEC2-0E65E688D659.jpeg
    21D79569-BDF8-4079-BEC2-0E65E688D659.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 218
  • AEF4B64F-380C-43EE-BDE9-21EF89E347EF.jpeg
    AEF4B64F-380C-43EE-BDE9-21EF89E347EF.jpeg
    553.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 2E5796FD-CE16-4B0F-B705-DBEDE187704E.jpeg
    2E5796FD-CE16-4B0F-B705-DBEDE187704E.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 96D10BCA-805B-497C-B3A1-63FCCC87EC95.jpeg
    96D10BCA-805B-497C-B3A1-63FCCC87EC95.jpeg
    699.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 87E5AA14-EA6C-4834-8A68-213BBD35FA85.jpeg
    87E5AA14-EA6C-4834-8A68-213BBD35FA85.jpeg
    897.2 KB · Views: 215
It does wipe off but it kinda stains it like leaves a light patch after.. and I just don’t see how they should get away with this issue in a $80,000 car ?? And how they are dealing with it is incredibly frustrating … however they said it will keep happening which in part acknowledges a design / inherent flaw in the vegan leather 😳

I havent read of a lot of reports of stuff like this here on TMC. I also have black seats in my 2018 model 3 that is now more than 4 years old and they look the same as when I bought the car. So do the black seats in my wifes 2022 (march) model Y.

I have seen people report more issues with dye transfer etc with white seats, but not a ton of stuff with the black seats.

The $80K car argument comes up all the time. There are quality control, service, and customer service issues with Tesla. There always have been. I’ve had multiple Teslas over many years and never been into service once. I’ve had mobile service come out 3 times I think for incredibly minor things. My point is some say Tesla has some issues and is inconsistent and people should know and accept that when buying one. Others say they’ve never had problems or if they did Tesla took care of it.

In any case Tesla isn’t the same as Audi for expample. My dealer mostly always took care of me. If I didn’t think so I could call Audi America to take my side resolve with dealer. Good look getting that kind of service with Tesla.

The $80K argument never held water with me; bu others have agreed. When paying an electric car these days the battery and motors are far more expensive than an ICE system. You can’t compare an $80K to lecteix against an $80K ICE; more like a $50-60K ICE; but I digress.

Go to a different service center. Point out it occurred immediately after purchase. Tesla agreed precious and town town the seats and they didn’t look right.

Does no remember the airbag issues of recent years are where they were loads with random (dangerous) raw materials intentionally result in death and injury that shouldn’t have incurred overwise. Point being suppliers cut corners, employees are disgruntled and mess it up on purpose.

Don’t know what to tell you other wise.

Deal / accept it, keep spending time and frustration on it, or dump the car and move on.

Sorry to be direct but it’s not my experience. But I know and agree it happens and it’s not right.

But you either live the car and it’s worth the headaches. You know there are cars still made today with wood floors that rot out; but people love them otherwise. OR you don’t stay frustrated fighting the battle.

Personally my time is worth too much (and life is too short) to deal with frustrations.

Reactions: rpiotro
It does wipe off but it kinda stains it like leaves a light patch after.. and I just don’t see how they should get away with this issue in a $80,000 car ?? And how they are dealing with it is incredibly frustrating … however they said it will keep happening which in part acknowledges a design / inherent flaw in the vegan leather 😳

I will also say that vegan leather is better real “leather” and not for the vegan reason.

Leather changed a lot or the years. Compare the leather from a 80’s Mercedes against a 90’s Mercedes. The hide became half as thick and didn’t last or wear as wear.

As any “leather” besides saddle leather isn’t “real” leather. Depending on what someone calls real leather - it’s a veneer or then l at her on a base, it’s random bits glided together, the grain is stamped in and not authentic grain. This is why even expensive leather can peel, flake, loose it’s brain, etc.

Reactions: DocHolliday
My 2018 Model 3 is almost 5 years old and I have 100,111 miles on it and my driver seat still looks great. I have not heard much about any issues with the black artificial leather material except for some people's headrest starting to bubble. Usually complaints are about the white artificial leather taking on a blue color from blue jeans. Just wanted to point out that complaints about the black material does not seem to be common, and I've only seen a handful having to do with torn stitching and headrest bubbling.

Are you using any wipes or chemicals to clean the seats? When Tesla replaced the seat cover the 1st time, did they just replace the black outside cover or did they do the whole seat? Do you normally drive with the windows down, or in a dusty environment?

Are you sure that's coming from the seats? It looks like suntan lotion or even skin cells. Are you shirtless when you sit on the seats?

If you pinch the material, can you see this white stuff in the crease? Scrape some of this stuff off and examine it under a scope, or use a magnifying glass.

The $80K car argument comes up all the time. There are quality control, service, and customer service issues with Tesla. There always have been. I’ve had multiple Teslas over many years and never been into service once. I’ve had mobile service come out 3 times I think for incredibly minor things. My point is some say Tesla has some issues and is inconsistent and people should know and accept that when buying one. Others say they’ve never had problems or if they did Tesla took care of it.

In any case Tesla isn’t the same as Audi for expample. My dealer mostly always took care of me. If I didn’t think so I could call Audi America to take my side resolve with dealer. Good look getting that kind of service with Tesla.

The $80K argument never held water with me; bu others have agreed. When paying an electric car these days the battery and motors are far more expensive than an ICE system. You can’t compare an $80K to lecteix against an $80K ICE; more like a $50-60K ICE; but I digress.

Go to a different service center. Point out it occurred immediately after purchase. Tesla agreed precious and town town the seats and they didn’t look right.

Does no remember the airbag issues of recent years are where they were loads with random (dangerous) raw materials intentionally result in death and injury that shouldn’t have incurred overwise. Point being suppliers cut corners, employees are disgruntled and mess it up on purpose.

Deal / accept it, keep spending time and frustration on it, or dump the car and move on.

Sorry to be direct but it’s not my experience. But I know and agree it happens and it’s not right.

But you either live the car and it’s worth the headaches. You know there are cars still made today with wood floors that rot out; but people love them otherwise. OR you don’t stay frustrated fighting the battle.

Personally my time is worth too much (and life is too short) to deal with frustrations.
I think when a car costs close to 6 digits, even if a lot of it is in the EV system, you should at least expect the interior to hold up and be durable even if it isn’t made of luxury materials such as real wood, etc. The OP’s situation is a combination of poor design / production, poor quality control, and poor customer service.

perhaps the OP can re-upholster the seats or cover it up with seat covers? Not ideal in any case.

My 2018 Model 3 is almost 5 years old and I have 100,111 miles on it and my driver seat still looks great. I have not heard much about any issues with the black artificial leather material except for some people's headrest starting to bubble. Usually complaints are about the white artificial leather taking on a blue color from blue jeans. Just wanted to point out that complaints about the black material does not seem to be common, and I've only seen a handful having to do with torn stitching and headrest bubbling.

Are you using any wipes or chemicals to clean the seats? When Tesla replaced the seat cover the 1st time, did they just replace the black outside cover or did they do the whole seat? Do you normally drive with the windows down, or in a dusty environment?
I suspect Tesla makes a lot of changes but we don’t know it since they don’t wait for new model years to do it. They probably changed the seating material or adhesive which Is causing this to happen.

I suspect Tesla makes a lot of changes but we don’t know it since they don’t wait for new model years to do it. They probably changed the seating material or adhesive which Is causing this to happen.
Yes, it's possible that there is some sort of defect in OP's seat material. But what are the chances that it happened twice? Either the problem is with the padding or other components under the seat cover, there's a bad batch of seat material that is having this issue, or something in the OP's environment or usage is causing it. Anybody seen any other threads with people exhibiting this exact same issue?

I can't say I have seen this issue brought up before. There are reports of dye transfer on the white seats and also marks showing up when they are dirty (but can be cleaned up), but not really on black seats. If it wipes off, that kind of suggests that it is an external substance. Inside the seats is just foam, I don't see why it would leave that kind of white stuff.

Seat issues, are not common, considering the number of Teslas sold.
The issues I’ve heard of, are from bubbling where the head rests, or the butt.
It’s never been clear what caused those instances.
It could be a rare flaw, or someone using chemicals and friction causing it.
No one is going to own up to it, if that’s the case.
I’ve never seen or heard of a model 3 showing seat issues like this one though. That’s a new one. Especially two weeks old.
Makes no sense. Is it possible someone other than the OP’er cleaned the seats with something harsh ?

I’ve never seen or heard of a model 3 showing seat issues like this one though. That’s a new one. Especially two weeks old.
Makes no sense. Is it possible someone other than the OP’er cleaned the seats with something harsh ?
No I haven’t cleaned it with anything or ever worn sunscreen near the areas. I get in my car in the morning and often it’s come through overnight. The same thing happened after they replaced the seat it was fine a few weeks then bam. Then they cleaned it and a few days later started happening again in the exact same place. This also first happened 2 weeks in when I had barely even touched my car! So then attributing blame to me is highly frustrating.
I can't say I have seen this issue brought up before. There are reports of dye transfer on the white seats and also marks showing up when they are dirty (but can be cleaned up), but not really on black seats. If it wipes off, that kind of suggests that it is an external substance. Inside the seats is just foam, I don't see why it would leave that kind of white stuff.
No I haven’t cleaned it with anything or ever worn sunscreen near the areas. I get in my car in the morning and often it’s come through overnight. The same thing happened after they replaced the seat it was fine a few weeks then bam. Then they cleaned it and a few days later started happening again in the exact same place. This also first happened 2 weeks in when I had barely even touched my car! So then attributing blame to me is highly frustrating.

Initially when they replaced the seat they said they could see the adhesive material leaking through the stitching (which is where it always starts) so they admitted it! But since it happened again they are saying it must be my fault however it’s happened in the exact same spot in the same way and also on the passenger seat since someone had sat in it so it’s like the pressure sees it come through the stitching

Are you sure that's coming from the seats? It looks like suntan lotion or even skin cells. Are you shirtless when you sit on the seats?

If you pinch the material, can you see this white stuff in the crease? Scrape some of this stuff off and examine it under a scope, or use a magnifying glass.
None of the above I don’t get in my car with any sunscreen on ever I am meticulous about it and as mentioned it happened in the first week when I’d barely even sat in it! They admitted when they replaced it the adhesive was coming through the stitching and that’s what is recurring over And over but they are now saying it’s my fault and won’t replace but it looks like a flaw with how they’re making them

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

The old seats are differnt to three new ones Tesla told me the newer models are differnt seats so I guess you can’t compare to a 5 year old Tesla. See below no lotions or chemicals or anything no dust nothing , they admitted when they replaced the seat first time and opened it up it was the adhesive leaking through the stitching so clearly a flaw in how they’re made

Agreed, previously i had a bmw and bmw were fantastic in fixing any issues , they never tried to attribute blame to me , it’s been the worst customer experience ever and if I didn’t lvoe driving the car I would be selling it. People have suggested getting it upholstered which isn’t ideal as I would just like the seats to not have issues after my brand new purchase 😂