Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black the least popular color for Model Y's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My observation is that black seems to be the least popular color choice for Model Y's.

Other than the additional effort that may be needed to keep a black color car and additional $1k (which is applicable to other colors as well) is there anything that can point to less number of black Model Y's?

My observation is that black seems to be the least popular color choice for Model Y's.

Other than the additional effort that may be needed to keep a black color car and additional $1k (which is applicable to other colors as well) is there anything that can point to less number of black Model Y's?

@aparan around here (Vancouver area of Canada), I would say that black and red are the colors I see least for both Y and 3. I think red might actually be slightly more rare around here, and would imagine the increased cost (double vs. grey, blue, or black) might be a factor. White seems most popular (again probably largely due to it being no additional cost). Black cars definitely have a stigma about showing paint swirls and being difficult to maintain.

@aparan looks like your observation is consistent with the Model Y Order Tracker Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker (more on it here: Wiki - Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet)

As of right now, here's the breakdown of orders in that tracker, by color popularity:

1620240659273.png

Reactions: Spacep0d
@aparan looks like your observation is consistent with the Model Y Order Tracker Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker (more on it here: Wiki - Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet)

As of right now, here's the breakdown of orders in that tracker, by color popularity:

View attachment 659759
Make black free again and you'll see a different color count. I was surprised to see Blue being the second best color. I love red cars but the Blue sure does look good on the MY.

Make black free again and you'll see a different color count. I was surprised to see Blue being the second best color. I love red cars but the Blue sure does look good on the MY.

@Darmie I don't doubt that black would definitely increase dramatically were it the free color again. It basically looks like there's White in first, blue & msm more-or-less tied for second (very similar representation to each other), and red and black tied for third (again similar to one-another)

I assume swirl marks and imperfections on White or Metallic silver will be less visible than that of Black for sure.... but I am not too sure about Deep blue metallic though
Swirls are very much visable on Deep Blue Metallic, annoyes the *sugar* out of me and its not even a year into owning my MY...

I assume more people choose white over other color because its free and they would prefer getting better rims than a different color of the car.

I think the black trim and black wheels as the upgrade option contribute. I've owned black cars and though difficult to maintain they do look so good when clean. The people that get the upgraded wheels tend to be the ones that care more about looks (and likely maintain cleaner cars). In my opinion, the current black configuration is just be too much black. I'd bet if the chrome trim still existed and/or there were additional non-black wheel upgrade options, the black would be a little more popular.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I'm the sucker with a black MYP with white interior (the hardest color combo to take care of), but that's what the wife wanted so I didn't argue since she let me get the performance model. I was originally trying to get white with black interior but I'm definitely glad I didn't because that's all you see in the bay area and at least now I stand out from the crowd. Black honestly looks so good when clean but that literally last less than a day.

It can also just be a personal taste thing. I love my Red Model 3, but would not purchase a red model Y. Don't like the larger car in black either. (I'm old school and to me, red & black are for sports cars, of which the Y is not.) Waiting to see what the tax changes might be before ordering, but eventually we'll be reserving a Y in Blue with White interior.

I think black is just less popular overall due to the way black absorbs light (and heat) where white is white because it reflects light (and heat). With all of the heat every summer and climate change, black is never going to be more useful going forward. It's also extremely hard to keep clean because it shows every swirl and scratch compared to white.

I love a well-kept black vehicle, but white is literally cooler and easier to maintain.

Everyone has different tastes. In my opinion, if kept good, black brings out the best but will project even very little dust and other marks so forcefully compared to White. Model Y black with black wheels has a special charm

I'm in Florida and black is not a good color for Florida.. Attracts heat and is hard to keep clean.. Black paint also makes paint swirls more visible.. I love the look of a clean, black car but the work to keep it nice is just too much and black is just too hot for Florida weather.. That's why I'm getting a white Y..

Would be my first Tesla and was also thinking of a black as this is my fav for cars. Here at carwash there are no swirls at all visible on any of my black cars.
Is the Tesla paint inferior to that of German cars?
If so then I would think of another .... thx