Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a difference in paint longevity and quality of different Model Y colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned 4 teslas: Black, Multicoated Red, White, and the latest one is Ultra Red. White is the safest color choice because it hides dirt well and requires less car washing.....less washing = less chance for creating swirl marks due to abrasion (from rubbing). Black is the worst color to maintain......a lot of scratches and swirl marks.....luckily, I leased that black car. Yes, Tesla paint is very soft. That's why I put PPF films on two of them (the multicoated red and the ultra red ones). I put the films on myself and it took me about 5 days......6-8 hours each day. I bought the pre-cut films from a Canadian based company called Drive Protected.
Screenshot_20240119_123600_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
I read about "soft" paint in some discussion and was concerned

All paints on all cars are ”soft” paints, thanks to the EPA. You need to allow about 3-months for the paint cue and harden. During the first 3-months you have to baby the hell out of it. Gently hand wash only, and frequently, to keep grit that can scratch the paint off the car. And never put anything, such as a bag, on the paint.

Reactions: EVChris
All paints on all cars are ”soft” paints, thanks to the EPA. You need to allow about 3-months for the paint cue and harden. During the first 3-months you have to baby the hell out of it. Gently hand wash only, and frequently, to keep grit that can scratch the paint off the car. And never put anything, such as a bag, on the paint.
Is it ok to put PPF film right after delivery - or that too should wait for 3 months?

Why is white called "multicoat" but none others are?
Pearl white and pearl red paints are called multicoat because they have one additional layer which contains the pearl material. The typical non-pearl paint jobs consist of three layers: primer, base coat color, and protective clear coat. Pearl paints have an additional layer of clear coat, with pearl material suspended in it, between the base coat and outer clear coat. When a light shines directly on a pearl paint job, you can see the shimmering pearlescent colors suspended above the base coat color. This is why pearl paints appear to have "depth" when viewed in sunlight.

In theory, a multicoat pearl paint job might last slightly longer as it has slightly more clear coat on it. The downside is, it becomes more difficult to paint match repairs as the paint and clear coat naturally fades over time.