Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Black the least popular color for Model Y's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I once had a black car, but never again. It was hard to keep looking clean, and once it got a few scratches, it never looked good.
I've never owned a white car but I think white would be very hard to keep looking clean without very frequent car washes?
I'm on the fence about getting a MY, but leaning towards blue.

My observation is that black seems to be the least popular color choice for Model Y's.

Other than the additional effort that may be needed to keep a black color car and additional $1k (which is applicable to other colors as well) is there anything that can point to less number of black Model Y's?
Had a Black car once..looks great, for 5 mins then its dirty lol. Unless you have a dustfree garage and put a car cover on i would say no for me.

I have always wondered why BASIC BLACK is a $1000 option and the multi coat white is FREE. That makes no sense. Tesla needs to expand there paint options.

IIRC, when the Model 3 came out, black was the "free" option and white was a yours for an extra thousand

They do have some pretty kak colours - I mean they could have done a waaaay better red IMO, maybe a nice British Racing Green one too and the Performance in the yellow that Nissan used on the Xterra. I bet they would have sold out of that

I've owned cars since the 70's (have a White-White MY for over one year) and still find myself stopping to stare at its sleek lines, overall beauty, and the occasional bug stuck to the front. I keep looking at the other color combos, and like the blue a lot, but am still totally smitten by the white.

Reactions: Ace_23
Back in my daaaaaaaaaay....black was the standard color and white was a premium option. Tesla changed it and people presumed it was because black led to too many quality defects and rejects from new owners.
In Black's defense as the original no extra charge color...there was never any issue with the metal and plastic painted surfaces not properly color matched in any light condition. Can't say as much for white when it became the default color.

Reactions: patnshan