Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Blacked Center Screen Repair (Failed MCU)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EV-Fixme

Former Vendor
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2019
Orange County, CA
Most cars here will still have warranty so this will be for a small number of owners for a few more years. The X shares the same MCU as the S. We have found the eMMC (Solid State Hard Drive) to last 2-8 years. Late last year Tesla updated the operating system to log much less. This will extend the life of the chip. However if yours fails and is out of warranty, we offer a replacement and upgrade using a much larger 32 gig chip from the original 8 gig. Since the MCU is the same as the S, and will fail with the same symptoms I will link our consolidated thread with all the details. We have already repaired several X's and hundreds of S's

This weekend I decided to replace our recently purchased X. It's a earlier build with about 180k miles on it. We were not noticing any signs of failure yet. However after replacing several failing/failed X eMMC's already I decided to just go ahead and practice what I preach, preventive replacement.

Results were a little shocking! The chip had used up about 2600 out of the 3000 writes! Meaning it was 90% used up already. I would expect that if lucky we can get another year or 2 out of it, but do we really want to deal with extra reboots and other band-aids to keep it working when the replacement will make it nice like new?

Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

For help please contact us in the US and @LuckyLuke in the UK.

We will continue to monitor this thread, but will post the new details as we find them in the consolidated thread since this part of the car is so similar.

We look forward to serving the X community as we have serviced the S community.

Last edited:
However if yours fails and is out of warranty, we offer a replacement and upgrade using a much larger 32 gig chip from the original 8 gig. Since the MCU is the same as the S, and will fail with the same symptoms I will link our consolidated thread with all the details.
I was thinking that MCU2 came with a larger eMMC chip than the MCU1? 16 gig vs 4 gig or has my memory failed me?