Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackviue 650 and "Key not in Car"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured out the problem. If the installer cuts the shielded cable that connects the 2 cameras for running the cable, it will not be shielded any more and a ferrite core has to be put over the place where the splice was done. If you don't cut the 90 degree plug there will be no problems because it is shielded. Lots of installers cut cables with plugs to do long cable runs. They just don't realize that this is shielded. ferrite core cost me $3 and snaps over the splice point. case closed.

Your idiot installer should have read the RTFM. The special Blackvue cable is not just a 2-wire power cable, but carries power and signal. It is a coax. I would demand that they get a brand new cable and run it correctly. Yes, more work, especially fishing the cable through the rubber boot/sleeve from the C-pillar to the rear hatch. Your installer is not competent. Never splice a coax.

I've been there--done that. I installed my own Blackvue 550 without cutting or splicing the coax. Search these forums for 'always on power for Blackvue' or something like that.

Bsweasel1 and I chatted on the phone this afternoon and I installed a ferrite core based on his feedback. It was fine driving home, but has been intermittent. So I will keep this thread up to date to see if this solved it.

I figured out the problem. If the installer cuts the shielded cable that connects the 2 cameras for running the cable, it will not be shielded any more and a ferrite core has to be put over the place where the splice was done. If you don't cut the 90 degree plug there will be no problems because it is shielded. Lots of installers cut cables with plugs to do long cable runs. They just don't realize that this is shielded. ferrite core cost me $3 and snaps over the splice point. case closed.

I talked to my installer and he said he might have to re-run the wire.

I will take a print out of what is posted in here so he can see what mistake he is doing.

Thanks Bsweasel1 and P85D..

I have an appointment with installer on 3/20/15 and will wait for your feedback as well

I did what Bsweasel1 had suggested and I appreciate his help.

It worked last night and this morning it was intermittent as well.

I guess I should do the same like what you suggest. Let the installer re-run a new wire.

I had my installer run a new Cable yesterday. So far so good. I will keep you guys up to date!

I had my installer run a new Cable yesterday. So far so good. I will keep you guys up to date!
Closing off thread that I started. As I mentioned The installer put in a new cable on Monday and have no had an issue since. So just make sure that your installer does not cut the cable. It makes it easier to install but clearly creates issues. Bsweasel1 thanks for your help on this!

Closing off thread that I started. As I mentioned The installer put in a new cable on Monday and have no had an issue since. So just make sure that your installer does not cut the cable. It makes it easier to install but clearly creates issues. Bsweasel1 thanks for your help on this!
Any chance you'd share the installer? Now that they are an expert maybe I'd use them. :)

I think cell phones also have a lot do with the key detection. I regularly had the "no key in car" message anyway, even before the 650. The key is often in a pocket with my cell phone (there is another cell phone in the other pocket unfortunately). Once I jiggle the key, I'm good to go.

Old thread, but since there are not many other threads regarding this issue I'll post here. I contacted a dealer for fitting the new Blackvue DR650S - 2CH - Dash Cam in my Model S 70D, but he almost refuses as he has had "negative experiences" with this system interrupting the key fob. Is this still the case now almost 2 years down the road since last post?

What side did the run the cable to the back camera? driver side or passenger side? I ran mine done the passenger side. Have never had an issue with fob not detected. I did not cut the end off the cable, No need to. The molded plastic around the metal plug is square. I did file down the plastic a bit to be able to run it through the cable boot to the hatch.

No problem here with our DR650S-2 ch and our fobs. We just had ours installed a few weeks ago and been enjoying having a dashcam. You need to run it down the right passenger side on the Tesla as it runs into signal interference from what I read going down the driver's side based on how Tesla incorporated their wiring. The Blackvue Manual however shows it running down the driver's side so if that installer is following the manual when he does it on Model Ss then I can see why he wouldn't want to install them anymore.