Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue Dashcam Install on 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the heads up. I was about to purchase my unit from Amazon for $379 plus tax. Can you let me know what the install cost was from Prodashcam? I contacted another installer and his quote was $450 to install the cameras. Thanks.
Prodashcam (prodashcam.com) charges $169 or $199 for the install if you don't buy the cam from him (see the Installation section on his site for more details). The higher price is if you want the Power Controller or DC kit installed. He also charges a reasonable travel charge depending on how far you are from him, or you can meet him close to where he's located and avoid the travel charge. He did an outstanding job and has done many Tesla installs, so he knows exactly how to do it right.

Reactions: ucsdsig
Prodashcam (prodashcam.com) charges $169 or $199 for the install if you don't buy the cam from him (see the Installation section on his site for more details). The higher price is if you want the Power Controller or DC kit installed. He also charges a reasonable travel charge depending on how far you are from him, or you can meet him close to where he's located and avoid the travel charge. He did an outstanding job and has done many Tesla installs, so he knows exactly how to do it right.

Great. Thanks for the information.

I managed to complete the install myself. The rearview mirror and the new 2016 AP enclosure are secured with 4 gold metal snaps connected by plastic inserts. See picture below. I was lucky enough to go slow and didn't scratch or break anything. I removed the rear seat panels exposing the rear curtain airbag. Be careful when working on this area. Also of note, the rearview mirror can be removed several ways. If you twist counter clockwise the whole thing will come off, or you can pull off the mirror itself which is secured by a ball joint. I removed the mirror first and had some very frustrating moments before i realized the ball joint has a metal O-ring that prevents the ball from falling off. This O-ring can be removed with pliers and then re-seated once you push the ball joint together.
I was able to run both the power cable and the rear video cable without completely removing the mirror housing (or the mirror itself). It's a tight fit but not too bad. I pulled the headliner down a couple of inches where it meets the windshield to help pass the cables by hand. The hard part, for me, was the rear camera cable run. Had to go down to the trunk lid handle (inside the aluminum cavity) and back up to the top of the glass (outside the aluminum cavity). I could not get the "short cut" from the rubber hose to the glass to work. And after a lot of cursing, ran it all the way down and back up, which worked great since I would have to hide all the excess cable somewhere, anyhow (but I had to use a glow rod).
IMG_2409.JPG