Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR900S vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone here have any issues with increased vampire drain after a Blackvue 2-channel install? I recently got one done by Johnny from Calibred (it looks awesome btw! Looks stock w/ no wires etc.) and since the install I'm seeing between around 3-5 miles of battery drop within 6 hours. The dashcam is directly wired to the car from that top panel. I even turned off the dashcam WiFi and motion sensor. According to Teslafi, my car hasn't slept at all for over 2 days. Is this normal after a Blackvue always-on install?

Reactions: hiroshiy
Does anyone here have any issues with increased vampire drain after a Blackvue 2-channel install? I recently got one done by Johnny from Calibred (it looks awesome btw! Looks stock w/ no wires etc.) and since the install I'm seeing between around 3-5 miles of battery drop within 6 hours. The dashcam is directly wired to the car from that top panel. I even turned off the dashcam WiFi and motion sensor. According to Teslafi, my car hasn't slept at all for over 2 days. Is this normal after a Blackvue always-on install?

My hardwire bvue 900 ..in X lose about 1-2% a night in drain no big deal really ..he also did my install

• Informative
Reactions: s1rk and PhilDavid
My 3 with hardwired 1-ch DR750S loses 1% daily. The sucker sleeps all the time as I open the app it takes forever for the car to wake up. I did my own install if that matters ;)

I don't know how much I lose with my X w/ 2-ch DR900S hardwired since we drive it everyday.

My 3 with hardwired 1-ch DR750S loses 1% daily. The sucker sleeps all the time as I open the app it takes forever for the car to wake up. I did my own install if that matters ;)

That's the weird thing... since the dashcam install, my car doesn't go to sleep. Or at least that's what Teslafi tells me. When I open my app it's also very fast and doesn't say "waking up" anymore.

4534A90F-9A8B-487C-A7C1-A9D5840A9FE4.jpeg
Ok, thanks! let me try fiddling with the settings.

it looks awesome btw! Looks stock w/ no wires etc.

Please post a video of the installation or photos, I can't imagine how anyone could install the awfully ugly tubes in a nice way.
only acceptable installs I've seen so far is the cameras that clip on under the mirror, and really look professional. - but I would like to see a blackvue be installed that way.

Your issue may be TeslaFi setting ..there is a setting for sleep mode that u should probably toggle on
"According to Teslafi, my car hasn't slept at all for over 2 days."

Yeah, he pretty much answered his own question with that one line. I have both as well and while I haven't noticed a significant increase in drain from the camera, TeslaFi absolutely eats miles on a daily basis. I turn it off TeslaFi data collection if I know I'm going to be parked somewhere like the airport for a while.

Reactions: P85_DA
"According to Teslafi, my car hasn't slept at all for over 2 days."

Yeah, he pretty much answered his own question with that one line. I have both as well and while I haven't noticed a significant increase in drain from the camera, TeslaFi absolutely eats miles on a daily basis. I turn it off TeslaFi data collection if I know I'm going to be parked somewhere like the airport for a while.

Yup! the settings posted by @P85_DA definitely did the trick. Thank you!

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Please post a video of the installation or photos, I can't imagine how anyone could install the awfully ugly tubes in a nice way.
only acceptable installs I've seen so far is the cameras that clip on under the mirror, and really look professional. - but I would like to see a blackvue be installed that way.

These are the only pictures I have on my phone right now.
IMG_7553.jpg
IMG_7552.jpg

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and Ande
Do you all have these hardwired using the kit from Blackvue? My new Model X is not sleeping either, and I am using the same settings in TeslaFi as was posted here, and trying to be as conservative as possible, but suspect that the camera is somehow keeping the system from sleeping. I intend to unplug it for a couple of days and see if that helps.

But just working this out in my mind... I cannot see how a power draw from the fuse panel would keep the car alive, unless the MCU was watching for a power draw and kept the car awake because of it. Does it only sleep when not charging or plugged into a charger? I think mine has been plugged in the whole time since I have started using TeslaFi.

I had the same problem when I installed teslafi. Seems the car would never sleep...or if it did—it would do it only for an hour before and then wake up. I had enabled the sleep mode but still no chance. It wasn’t until I removed the cabin overheat protection mode that it would finally sleep continuously. Not sure if I like that so I’m deciding if I want to keep teslafi as the car used to sleep just fine before I started using the application.

Dr650 2 channel cost me about 5-6Kwh difference in recharge number and distance usage within a 3-4 days period. I.e. 50kwh recharged but car only show 44kwh used to get back to the same percentage. Now keep in mind that is not all the blackvue, but it does illustrate the power required. During road trip, the numbers matches pretty close. I.e. 50kwh recovered and usage is like 49kwh to get back to the same percentage.

Point is recording all the time does require additional energy which is coming from your car. I'm sure those with sentry mode also have to pay an energy cost.

According to this page, the 900 used 4.56W with WiFi on, etc (750 uses 4.2W).
4.56W*24hr = 109.44Wh
4.2W*24hr = 100.8Wh

If that came straight from the HV battery it would be losing less than half a mile a day. But, there is some power lost in DC-DC conversion and 12V charging efficiency, and then the fact that it wakes the car to do it (HV battery has to be up to charge the 12V). The latter I think is the biggest drain. So, the worse your 12V battery shape (i.e. if it doesn't hold charge as well), the more often your car will wake up to top off the 12V battery.

Also worth mentioning, make sure whoever installed it didn't use the relay trick posted on the internet which makes the 12V cigarette lighter plug always on - that will cause anything else you got on that plug to drain the 12V battery, causing more frequent wakes of the HV battery.