Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blame it on the Rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK... given this is likely a silly question to pose but as a fairly new Tesla owner (6 weeks) I thought I would ask... Living in Las Vegas I do not really give rainy conditions much thought... However, it is not entirely uncommon here to have a severe thunderstorm that lasts just a few minutes but leave the city with flash flood warnings... typically the ground is so hard that it cannot absorb the water fast enough plus the west side of town is slightly more elevated than the east and therefore you can very quickly get miniature rivers flowing down the major streets and intersections... I was caught in one such storm last night and within minutes the water level on some streets and most intersections was at least over the level of the sidewalks.. I rerouted my trip home to avoid as much of it as I could but it made me think that I am driving through a giant 3 to 6" deep puddle (slowly) and wondering how my batteries are staying safe and dry...

Clearly it is not a good idea to go through deep puddles with any vehicle but was wondering logistically if there is additional concerns or things to be aware of with the Tesla that you might not think twice about in a ICE car.

One other odd thing to mention is that at the time I was traveling there was no more than a light sprinkle but when I was going through any significant standing water the windshield wipers would speed up significantly so I am guessing that the rain sensing mechanisms are down low in the front of the car...

Again I am sure that Tesla designed the car for every conceivable road condition I am just wondering how it all works logistically when it comes to standing water...The great news is that I never felt for a minute that my P85+ was not stable or out of control. In fact I felt very comfortable and stable through the entire trip home...

thanks

You're safer in the Tesla than an ICE car, and the car is at less risk, too.

Extended periods in deep water aren't good for the car - as the mentioned thread shows, it can certainly be damaged by flooding, but driving through puddles shouldn't be an issue.