Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blows my mind..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Blows my mind..
That Tesla delivery does absolutely nothing to introduce the car to a new Tesla owner. After all the formal paperwork, "See that flashing taillight? That's your car!" Now, I am on my own. After an hour or so, I was going to take it back because autopilot did not work. With only 14 miles on the odometer, how was I supposed to know the camera needs training. Someone could have told me especially after I told them that I have never driven a Tesla. A couple of days later I find that the OS is out of date, No updates have been made since it's manufacture in January. And it won't update to the latest version because it thinks it is up to date. There is apparently a work around, similar to control-alt-delete, so I read in these here forum.
In contrast, when I received my new BMW, the delivery person went to great lengths to tell me how to operate all the car's fancy functions, how the traction control system functions on slippery roads. And how to best use the infotainment system. It was probably more than I wanted to hear, but I felt like this guy was proud to delivery his pride and joy for me to enjoy. Shoots, even Apple sent a person to personally show me how to do a migration, and that was just for an iPhone that cost 50k less than a Tesla.
Oh, I did get a free coffee from Tesla. But, it would have been better if they took the time to charge my car instead of leaving it at 46%. After all, BWM gave me a full tank of gas.

Attachments

• IMG_4669.jpg
    IMG_4669.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 136
Tesla charged me for supercharging the car at the dealer before the car was delivered to me "hands free", and there were idle fees assessed because they didn't move the car quickly after they charged it. They really don't do much except paper work at delivery. The car updates will start eventually, but sometimes the first one will be a month from delivery when you car has been updated as "delivered" in the system. Tesla sent me many updated emails encouraging me to watch the videos and review the owner's manual online, which I read twice before delivery. It would have been a challenge to drive away in my first Tesla without doing some pre-delivery research. I am surprised Tesla did not update it before delivery, but then again, they don't do much prior to delivery. You do have the extremely limited Full Self Driving 11.X software that less than 1% of existing Teslas have right now, not available to others except insiders and employees, so perhaps they did upgrade you to a very rare upgrade. This latest FSD upgrade is probably limiting your normal OS updates until it is merged with the regular updates from Tesla (should Be this month). Enjoy your new car! :)

Last edited:
Blows my mind..
That Tesla delivery does absolutely nothing to introduce the car to a new Tesla owner. After all the formal paperwork, "See that flashing taillight? That's your car!" Now, I am on my own. After an hour or so, I was going to take it back because autopilot did not work. With only 14 miles on the odometer, how was I supposed to know the camera needs training. Someone could have told me especially after I told them that I have never driven a Tesla. A couple of days later I find that the OS is out of date, No updates have been made since it's manufacture in January. And it won't update to the latest version because it thinks it is up to date. There is apparently a work around, similar to control-alt-delete, so I read in these here forum.
In contrast, when I received my new BMW, the delivery person went to great lengths to tell me how to operate all the car's fancy functions, how the traction control system functions on slippery roads. And how to best use the infotainment system. It was probably more than I wanted to hear, but I felt like this guy was proud to delivery his pride and joy for me to enjoy. Shoots, even Apple sent a person to personally show me how to do a migration, and that was just for an iPhone that cost 50k less than a Tesla.
Oh, I did get a free coffee from Tesla. But, it would have been better if they took the time to charge my car instead of leaving it at 46%. After all, BWM gave me a full tank of gas.
Sounds like you might just want to stick with BMW in the future. ;) Side note, years ago, I had the opposite experience with BMW and decided not to buy, so perhaps it comes down to the dealer service.

EDIT: A much better title would be helpful in the future. This one is very vague.

Man, that’s terrible service from your delivery/service center. I had the opposite experience here in Santa Fe - service center guy spent a good hour with me going over the differences between my old M3 and my new MX. As an experienced Tesla owner I knew most of the stuff, but you, as a new Tesla customer should have received a complete orientation to your new car. I’d go back there and insist that they go through the orientation and answer every question you have.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl
Sounds like you might just want to stick with BMW in the future. ;) Side note, years ago, I had the opposite experience with BMW and decided not to buy, so perhaps it comes down to the dealer service.

EDIT: A much better title would be helpful in the future. This one is very vague.
BMW is a nice car, but it is not the top car in its pack. A Tesla, however, is currently the apex of EVs. It would make sense to perpetuate that origin myth to give itself a unique competitive edge when the other makers start to catch up. Title noted. I was just so frustrated that nothing crass came to mind!

Title noted. I was just too frustrated to think of anything crass! Until a BMW EV catches up to a Tesla, I very much will doubt I will switch back. Now if Tesla retains me as an ergonomics designer, I could make Tesla even better!

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Man, that’s terrible service from your delivery/service center. I had the opposite experience here in Santa Fe - service center guy spent a good hour with me going over the differences between my old M3 and my new MX. As an experienced Tesla owner I knew most of the stuff, but you, as a new Tesla customer should have received a complete orientation to your new car. I’d go back there and insist that they go through the orientation and answer every question you have.
That's how it should be. After all, it's a computer on wheels. Maybe they thought that I was a tech nerd. I had an iPhone, an apple watch, and carrying a Tesla mobile charger when I arrived. Looks can be deceiving, however!

Tesla charged me for supercharging the car at the dealer before the car was delivered to me "hands free", and there were idle fees assessed because they didn't move the car quickly after they charged it. They really don't do much except paper work at delivery. The car updates will start eventually, but sometimes the first one will be a month from delivery when you car has been updated as "delivered" in the system. Tesla sent me many updated emails encouraging me to watch the videos and review the owner's manual online, which I read twice before delivery. It would have been a challenge to drive away in my first Tesla without doing some pre-delivery research. I am surprised Tesla did not update it before delivery, but then again, they don't do much prior to delivery. You do have the extremely limited Full Self Driving 11.X software that less than 1% of existing Teslas have right now, not available to others except insiders and employees, so perhaps they did upgrade you to a very rare upgrade. This latest FSD upgrade is probably limiting your normal OS updates until it is merged with the regular updates from Tesla (should Be this month). Enjoy your new car! :)
Dang! I should consider myself lucky that I escaped with a free coffee! haha! No, I received no notifications to read anything except to buy insurance. The car performed admirably in the sudden winter storm that hit town. It was happily driving by wrecks of cars and trucks alike attesting to its RWD traction control. But I wished that the AWD LR was available.