Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue on White vs. Red on Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
Yes, yes, another "color" thread! So, this is triggered by the price drops if that helps. The 5 seat Model Y qualifies for the rebate IF it is $55K or under. As I am a big fan of "color" on cars my two options would be the red or the blue. However, I also really like the white interior. Unfortunately, the way the car prices out, I can only get the white interior with the blue and stay under the $55K price cap and thus get the rebate. So, the options are:

1. Blue with White Interior
2. Red with Black Interior

(both cars would have the 19" Gemini wheels as the 20" push the price over the edge....do not want to step up to the 7 seater)

I had a 2013 Model S P85+ for 6 years in the red (on black) so am VERY familiar with that color and really liked it (still do). It stayed good looking when a bit dirty and I probably prefer it over the blue which darkens up fairly quickly as the light fades (and definitely shows dirt a bit more). I ALSO really like the white interior...it is striking and does brighten up the space a bit.

I swear I can talk myself into either one!

Anyway, I know it is my decision (obviously), but any thoughts on these two combos?

Last edited:
I generally try to switch up the color when getting into a new car, so I’d say blue on white in this case.

Independent of that, I think I like the white interior with white exterior only, so I might go red on black. But I’d need to see more examples with white interior to be sure.

If Tesla does not offer the new Quicksilver color in the U.S. later this year, then I’m going with Red on black.

In general, I prefer colors that allow the body contour/lines of the vehicle to stand out and provide some contrast so you can see other details on the vehicle (like the rear spoiler and other body molding/trim). I really like the body/contour lines and detailing on the MYP. So, I want a color that will offer some contrast and allow me to see all those lines/details. IMO, paint colors like white and red accomplish this; while, the other darker colors like MSM, black and blue provide little-to-no contrast… as a result, a lot of the fine details of the vehicle just blends into the paint color and gets lost.

I already have a M3P in white, so I want a different color on the MYP. Keeping my fingers crossed that Tesla will add Quicksilver as an available color later this year.

Red on white
That would push the car over the 55k limit that’s why he can’t do red on white.

I was in the same boat. I truly wanted red on white. But because it pushed the price over 55k I went with blue on white.
In six years did you ever go "damn I wish I had the white seats?" If yes, go blue. If no, go red.
As he says, did you ever wish you had white seats? Because my past 3 cars all have had black seats and I really don’t want black again. So I went with blue on white.

Reactions: advertisingfre
And...red won. It was very close with no wrong answer IMO, but the "pop" of the red won out over my desire for the white interior...barely.
For the record though, I think the Y probably looks best in white (shows the accents, curves, etc. so well), but just couldn't pull the trigger on that color.