Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue Origin - Booster Reuse - New Shepard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- I didn't see the retro rockets firing at all. It seemed like the capsule hit the ground at 17 mph, and the commentator was saying, 'beautiful soft landing'.

The retro(s?) fires for less than half a second, as I understand it. I don't have a hard figure for that though. 17 mph is 25 fps, one G is 32 fps^2, so less than a second at 1G.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
Maybe Jeff can celebrate and start paying his warehouse workers a living wage.

Taxpayers won't have to pay for Amazon employee food stamps. Canadians too! Does he pay living wages anywhere??

Same for our friends at Walmart. Both are helping to make America great again, following the Trump lead.
Just another sign of how the richest Empire the world has ever known treats people.

PS- perhaps Jeff should consider using the metric system just like real engineers and scientists?
(maybe not, he might have to pay more in wages - but he might make it to orbit tto?)
Let's hear it for the world's richest man!

Last edited:
The launch was delayed, but did occur around 11:10 EDT. Interpreting the altitude telemetry was initially tricky. I saw it was in MSL (above mean sea level) versus AGL (above ground level). The apogee of the capsule happened at around 393,500 ft. (about 74 miles) and it landed at 3,700 ft. MSL, which might have been confusing when listening to the commentator readouts that referenced AGL measurements.

Everyday Astronaut did a webcast of the launch.
BO is weird about certain things. They use feet for altitude and MPH for speed. As Nikxice mentioned, they also have other odd choices for how they are measuring what is happening. The video jumps between the booster and the capsule too.

Overall, very successful. Congratulations BO. A few more tests and they will begin launching people.
I'd personally pick BO over Virgin Galactic at any time. New Shepard seems like a pretty safe system.

Launching people to where? Around the world on an orbit?

Just going up and coming down straight? I don’t see the point.
Jeff hasn't sent anything to orbit, yet.
Seems only for a "Joy Ride" to compete with Virgin Galactic SpaceShipOne or SpaceShipTwo ? And of course an ego trip for Jeff - Richest Man has to be known for something beside low paid (food stamp collecting) workers.

Launching people to where? Around the world on an orbit?

Just going up and coming down straight? I don’t see the point.
It’s called “space tourism”. There is probably a market for it, depending on the price of course.

Obviously the goal of BO is not to just take people the the Karman Line and back down. Bezos has far bigger plans.

• Informative
Reactions: bxr140 and Grendal
It’s called “space tourism”. There is probably a market for it, depending on the price of course.

Obviously the goal of BO is not to just take people the the Karman Line and back down. Bezos has far bigger plans.
150 miles high @ 17,000 mph to get to orbit [SpaceX charges ~ $63,000,000 not qualified for people]

- BO [got half way up] 74 miles @ 2,300 mph planning to charge perhaps $200,000 - $300,000 per ride per ticket
Blue Origin performs high-altitude test of crew escape motor – Spaceflight Now
Jeff's bigger plans? He recently lost contract to build rocket engine for United Launch Alliance.

He recently lost contract to build rocket engine for United Launch Alliance.

The BE-4 is still in the lead for the main engine of Vulcan. Vulcan is ULA's replacement for the Atlas V and its Russian RD-180 engine. The other engine in the running is the AR-1 from Aerojet Rocketdyne. That engine is no where near as far along in development as the BE-4 and would be more expensive.

ULA did pick the Aerojet Rocketdyne's RL-10 engine for its second stage and possibly beating out BO's BE-3 (New Shepard) engine for that stage. If that was even in the running, it was a big longshot to win that contract. The Centaur second stage is a workhorse for ULA and has used the RL-10 engine for a very long time. The RL-10 is a great (albeit expensive) engine with a long reliable history.

Last edited:
Nice mission! So at apogee the capsule was at 66.35 miles. Period of microgravity in the capsule was about 1 min 23 secs. I suppose that time period would seem to go by pretty quickly for the passengers. If a ticket cost $250,000, every second of microgravity would cost about $3,000.

It should be a little longer than that. The moment the engine stops there is a weightless sensation. There will be some form of movement when the capsule releases from the booster too. After that, the weightless sensation should last until the drogue chutes deploy. There will be some time used to get into and out of your seat during that weightless period but it seemed to be a lot more than 1 minute and 23 seconds.

Here is the timeline:
liftoff 0:00
MaxQ :50
MECO 2:20 weightlessness - still in seats
Sep 2:40 free to get out of seats
Apogee 4:05
Touchdown booster 7:30
Capsule drogues 8:15
Capsule landing 10:10

So I'd say you'd get about 5 minutes of good weightless playtime and a little less than 6:00 of weightlessness. It all depends on how much time they give you to get in and out of your seats. The capsule hitting the denser part of the atmosphere would generate some feeling of weight.

Overall, I'd take New Shepard over Virgin Galactic any day and I expect that the price will be less for New Shepard than VG too. If you just want the sensation of weightlessness then the Vomit Comet costs $5400 for 15 weightless hop maneuvers at 20 to 30 seconds each. So 5 minutes of overall weightless time. $156K to rent the plane for an exclusive flight. You don't get to the edge of space and you also are officially an astronaut with New Shepard since you technically went to space.

Also. We now know that the BE-3 used for New Shepard will be the second stage engine for New Glenn. So New Shepard is, sort of, a good test bed for the New Glenn second stage. A lot of people do act as though New Shepard is a good example of what the New Glenn booster will be like and I dispute that. The formats are just too different.