Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-4 - Starbase TX - Launch Thread and Post Launch Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SpaceX stream mentioned that they won't be recovering either vehicle. I assume each had its flight termination system triggered in order to ensure that they'd sink nice and deep.

Yup, too deep for salvage.

Reactions: Grendal
The SpaceX stream mentioned that they won't be recovering either vehicle. I assume each had its flight termination system triggered in order to ensure that they'd sink nice and deep.

I'd prefer The Glomar Explorer: Part Deux

Do we know that they didn't?
Surely somebody was watching ship and air traffic data to see if anything was nearby. If I was going to cover the area, I'd have put an aircraft up. The timing was precisely known, but the landing area could be off by quite a bit. An aircraft could obviously adjust much more quickly.

A drone ejected from the ship itself would have been interesting. Attach it to the outside on the stainless steel side and let it go at about 10km. Have it communicate wirelessly to the ship. Naturally, it would have to match the ship's descent aerodynamics.

Elon called it:
I was thinking that having a deflector in front of the joint would help, but that would dump a lot of heat onto the flap surface. SpaceX will come up with a fix and we'll all say "Oh, right. That's so obvious". But none of us would come up with it.

And I just realized that when Tim Dodd apologized for introducing his live stream with a recording, saying something like "You'll understand why I couldn't do this live", he was talking about his Elon interview. I'm certainly looking forward to watching that.

Reactions: Grendal and TunaBug
Surely somebody was watching ship and air traffic data to see if anything was nearby. If I was going to cover the area, I'd have put an aircraft up. The timing was precisely known, but the landing area could be off by quite a bit. An aircraft could obviously adjust much more quickly.

A drone ejected from the ship itself would have been interesting. Attach it to the outside on the stainless steel side and let it go at about 10km. Have it communicate wirelessly to the ship. Naturally, it would have to match the ship's descent aerodynamics.

Yeah, the NSF folks seem to be all over that, posting flight and mariner notices and tracks... was hoping somebody might know if they had something in the area.

Drone would be interesting... I'll have to go find a flight profile and see what the speed at 10km up is...

I was thinking that having a deflector in front of the joint would help, but that would dump a lot of heat onto the flap surface. SpaceX will come up with a fix and we'll all say "Oh, right. That's so obvious". But none of us would come up with it.

And I just realized that when Tim Dodd apologized for introducing his live stream with a recording, saying something like "You'll understand why I couldn't do this live", he was talking about his Elon interview. I'm certainly looking forward to watching that.

I believe Elon's already mentioned positioning the flap leeward to help... I'd have to imagine there's more than that necessary.... I wonder how accurate their modeling/simulations are...

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
I'll have to go find a flight profile and see what the speed at 10km up is...
Not that it really matters, but it's 600 km/h. Pick the speed and altitude you like, though subsonic would be easiest. The drone would be ballistic, probably a stainless steel ball with some kind of drag line to keep it oriented. One camera on the leading face, internal battery, and wireless communication to the ship.

I believe Elon's already mentioned positioning the flap leeward to help...
Perfect. Use the hull as the deflector.

Not that it really matters, but it's 600 km/h. Pick the speed and altitude you like, though subsonic would be easiest. The drone would be ballistic, probably a stainless steel ball with some kind of drag line to keep it oriented. One camera on the leading face, internal battery, and wireless communication to the ship.

Cannon ball drone lol... that actually sounds like something Elon would do....

Perfect. Use the hull as the deflector.

Still suspect they will need something additional for that joint...

Reactions: JB47394
Things that caught my attention:

“We had 16 video feeds or thereabouts from Starlink some of which were external most of which were internal”. So what SpaceX showed to the public during the flight was just a small fraction of what they were recording.

The next flight will have continuous Starlink coverage..

Booster came to a “precise location” and “came to essentially zero velocity on the ocean” so “should probably try to catch it with the tower arms on the next flight”.

Ship was 6km off target but was able to maintain control and relight 3 Raptors for the landing burn.

RGV views of the OLM post launch.

IMG_0832.jpeg

IMG_0833.jpeg