Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blue tinted windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So living in LA I get to see a lot of Model S's and one thing I notice on most as I'm approaching them head on is that the windshield appears to have a slight blueish tint. Similar to the top of the panoramic roof if you're looking at it on a sunny day. Is this UV coating? Was this something that was rolled out from the beginning of production? My early build 2013 doesn't seem to have it.

I ask because one, it looks nicer than the standard windshield... I know I'm splitting hairs there. More importantly, if it's a UV block I'd love to have it. We had the misfortune of driving from Phoenix to LA today in 115 degree heat, facing the sun and while the pano roof does an amazing job of blocking heat, the windshield unfortunately does not. I'm wondering if it's because I'm missing that blue tint.

So living in LA I get to see a lot of Model S's and one thing I notice on most as I'm approaching them head on is that the windshield appears to have a slight blueish tint. Similar to the top of the panoramic roof if you're looking at it on a sunny day. Is this UV coating? Was this something that was rolled out from the beginning of production? My early build 2013 doesn't seem to have it.

I ask because one, it looks nicer than the standard windshield... I know I'm splitting hairs there. More importantly, if it's a UV block I'd love to have it. We had the misfortune of driving from Phoenix to LA today in 115 degree heat, facing the sun and while the pano roof does an amazing job of blocking heat, the windshield unfortunately does not. I'm wondering if it's because I'm missing that blue tint.

Those of us with the blueish tint cut Smurfs in half and rubbed them all over the windshield.

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and MrLunch
OP, I agree with @csshih. It is likely some brand of tint applied to the front windshield. Realize that here in CA, putting tint on the whole front windshield is illegal (only a strip at the top is allowable), but that does not stop some owners from doing it anyway. Do a couple searches for other threads where tint has been discussed ad-infinatum and you'll find the various brands others are using -- some are more blue or grey than others, and of course % will influence the appearance you're seeing.

Photosync 75 is just about invisible. No bluish cast therefrom. Does an impressive job of cutting glare and heat. Supposed to be 20% glare and 50% heat. I notice the glare reduction at least as much as the heat reduction. I end up wearing sunglasses less toward the end of the day. Less eye fatigue is a good thing.

@Mike K - do you see the bluishness with polarized sunglasses or without? Once in awhile, I've noticed odd hues when wearing polarized shades - green and purple occasionally with black cars - that sort of thing. It's either that or my coffee's a lot better than advertised.

Photosync 75 is just about invisible. No bluish cast therefrom. Does an impressive job of cutting glare and heat. Supposed to be 20% glare and 50% heat. I notice the glare reduction at least as much as the heat reduction. I end up wearing sunglasses less toward the end of the day. Less eye fatigue is a good thing.

@Mike K - do you see the bluishness with polarized sunglasses or without? Once in awhile, I've noticed odd hues when wearing polarized shades - green and purple occasionally with black cars - that sort of thing. It's either that or my coffee's a lot better than advertised.

I see it either way and I should add that it is the lightest hint of blue. Bluish/ purple. I notice it on a lot of high end cars but being a Tesla owner, I notice that most Teslas have it and mine does not.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
I only see mine from a distance, like from across a mall parking lot. If I look really closely in my garage with the light right, I can see it. But then it looks yellow. That's the prism. Other mfr's cars have it too.

I am not 100% positive. But I think every MS has it. They have modified a small area up by the mirror to either have it or not. Earlier cars had the gap, making using a radar detector easy. Sometime in 2014 they did away with gap. Now I have heard, unsubstantiated, that there is a new gap. Not sure where.

I've noticed this on many of the Teslas I've seen on the road lately. I'm not a fan of how it looks, especially on the neutral black cars (like mine will be). I'm wondering though, if it's a coating that blocks UV and/or heat, maybe I don't need to get the windshield tinted with 70%?

I'm thinking of getting the windshield slightly tinted to a) keep the cabin cooler and b) in an effort to even out the brightness of my view from inside the car. My current car is tinted 35% front and 20% back with nothing on the windshield and I'm wondering if it would improve visibility if I can slightly darken the windshield and do 20% tint on the sides and back so my eyes don't have to adjust to the varying brightness as much when checking my blind spots. What do you guys think?