Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth Attack can steal Model X in Minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I came across this article in Wired magazine today - thought the MX community would like to know about it.

From the 11/23/2020 article:
"A hacker could rewrite the firmware of a key fob via Bluetooth connection, lift an unlock code from the fob, and use it to steal a Model X in just a matter of minutes."

"Wouters says he warned Tesla about his Model X keyless entry hacking technique in August. He says the company has told him it plans to start rolling out a software update to its key fobs this week—and possibly components of its cars too—to prevent at least one step in his two-part attack."

I did Google search and found similar articles in Electrek, Digg, Zdnet, and others - all from Sunday.

I "assume" this week software download refers to late November 2020 given the 11/23/2020 article date.
I got a new download pushed in on Sunday - so I assume the fix is in that download.

We have the Pin-to-Drive set which I 'assume" would be another wall to get over before driving away with my 2019 MX - I hope so at least.

Read that the fix is in: The software update where this bug has been fixed is 2020.48, according to Wouters.