Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth issues after 2020.8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So first issue i have seen. Twice now i have gotten in the car and been unable to play anything off my phone via bluetooth. Phone says it is connected and when i select phone in the audio menu i can see it connected but it doesn't play. When i hit play on my phone (audible app) it plays through the phones speaker and doesn't show the car as an option through the app. Cycling bluetooth on phone has no effect. First time i had this happen i parked at my destination and came back after a bit and it worked fine. Today on the way home issue arose again. Before this i have never had an issue with bluetooth. Running iPhone 10r on ios 13.4.

Still have issues this morning. Re-paired phone no change. I can actually see the connection drop amd then reconnect about every 20-30 seconds.

I have the exact same issue. Watch the Bluetooth icon connect and then drop, the phone will appear and vanish from the device selection screen as well. Repair multiple times, rebooted Tesla screen, no help. What is odd is that the Podcast App works fine. I am unsure who to contact about this. I emailed Tesla service but I have yet to get a response. Let me know if you find a fix!

Good Luck,
Skye

Op you have a dev release of iOS right? Have you rebooted the phone?
Yes 13.4 beta, and i have rebooted the phone. After rebooting the car i have not had an issue but i also have read that Tesla is rolling out 2020.12 update that may fix some issues with bluetooth. The one thing that really made me think this is an issue with Tesla software is that my phone connects to my airpods with no issue, whereas the car has been dropping bluetooth and even the phone key gave me an issue the other day and i previously had never had an issue. I deleted the Tesla app and re-downloaded it to fix that one.

Last edited:
Ugh. This bug suuuuucks.

Happened twice more during a drive today.

Things worked normally playing music from my phone for the first ~25 minutes, then it lost the BT connection and couldn’t reconnect.
So I did a scroll-wheel screen reset and reconnected. Then it worked for maybe 10 mins before failing again. :(

upload_2020-3-24_13-2-8.jpeg

Reactions: PNW_M3
This wasn't an issue for me when I first got the car in March and I was on 2019.35.108. I have noticed that fast-forwarding thru music on the phone randomly causes this versus just letting music play. If I don't skip to the next song as often, the intervals between bluetooth working and showing connected but having no audio is longer. I've gotten used to resetting the MCU while driving :). I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max running the latest iOS.

This wasn't an issue for me when I first got the car in March and I was on 2019.35.108. I have noticed that fast-forwarding thru music on the phone randomly causes this versus just letting music play. If I don't skip to the next song as often, the intervals between bluetooth working and showing connected but having no audio is longer. I've gotten used to resetting the MCU while driving :). I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max running the latest iOS.

I'm having this issue alot on 2020.8.3, I have Google pixel 2. Same behavior if I skip tracks it kick phone off. I've re-paired phone for temp fix. Also reboot Tesla screen doesn't help. Today I toggled airplane mode twice to finally connect on my way to work, funny by the time I get it to connect I'm already arrived at work and spent the whole drive fiddling with Bluetooth. Don't remember having this issue with 2020.8.1

I'm having this issue alot on 2020.8.3, I have Google pixel 2. Same behavior if I skip tracks it kick phone off. I've re-paired phone for temp fix. Also reboot Tesla screen doesn't help. Today I toggled airplane mode twice to finally connect on my way to work, funny by the time I get it to connect I'm already arrived at work and spent the whole drive fiddling with Bluetooth. Don't remember having this issue with 2020.8.1
No sooner did I write that it was a model 3 and not X problem, I had to reset the mcu. Lol.

Last edited:
Ugh. This bug suuuuucks.

Happened twice more during a drive today.

Things worked normally playing music from my phone for the first ~25 minutes, then it lost the BT connection and couldn’t reconnect.
So I did a scroll-wheel screen reset and reconnected. Then it worked for maybe 10 mins before failing again. :(

View attachment 525142

having this exact same issue on 2020.12.5 model s performance

@tesla fr how is this not being addressed