Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my Model S yesterday, well almost took delivery, ended up with loaner due to non-working AC.

Anyway, having difficulty maintaining bluetooth connection with my phone. Literally constantly and I mean constantly connecting and disconnecting. Thats all it does. My phone is an android, xaomi Mi Mix. I think the problem is on my phone's end cuz I have had similar issues with it with Nissan, but not with other cars.

So I am looking for alternative options of connecting my phone to model S? No aux input, so that's out. What else can I do? I desperately need that connection cause I have to answer the phone quite a bit while driving.

Just took delivery of my Model S yesterday, well almost took delivery, ended up with loaner due to non-working AC.

Anyway, having difficulty maintaining bluetooth connection with my phone. Literally constantly and I mean constantly connecting and disconnecting. Thats all it does. My phone is an android, xaomi Mi Mix. I think the problem is on my phone's end cuz I have had similar issues with it with Nissan, but not with other cars.

So I am looking for alternative options of connecting my phone to model S? No aux input, so that's out. What else can I do? I desperately need that connection cause I have to answer the phone quite a bit while driving.
As far as I know, BT is it.. the cable is only for power. Any way to update the BT on your phone?

Reactions: redy
I am not sure about updating the BT on my phone. Have to look into that.

I was wondering if there was some other Bluetooth device which I can connect to my phone through the 3.5 mm headphone jack and use that Bluetooth device, like a transmitter or something?

I do agree it is likely issue with my phone. But not inclined to switch phone cuz I just got this about 8 mnths ago for 800$.

That's why I am looking for alternate solutions.

Yeah, there's not a lot of alternate options. You can keep music on a USB stick, or use built-in audio streaming, or use one of those FM transmitter adaptors combined with FM radio... But there's no Aux equivalent for line-in (not to mention given how smartphones are made today, if a vendor cannot make A2DP audio streaming with an off-the-shelf bluetooth chip work, I'm not sure they're going to have any better luck with all of the engineering considerations to make 3.5mm audio out work either....)

If calls are your biggest thing, I'd almost suggest finding an alternate solution like those Jawbone in-car speakers, because quite honestly one of my least favorite things to do in my Tesla is to take calls, because both the standard and UHFS sound are not soundproof and bleed through the door/pillar panels, and at a volume level of 4, I've tested with a friend and he could hear and transcribe my voicemails from 5 feet away...

Reactions: CSFTN

I was wondering if there was some other Bluetooth device which I can connect to my phone through the 3.5 mm headphone jack and use that Bluetooth device, like a transmitter or something?
As was mentioned, I'm sure there's something (google away), but seems to be a weird phone that has crappy BT nowadays, sorry! You could see if a plug-in BT attachment would work, but it might not replace all the functions.... Would it 'answer' the calls also? Not sure.

Should be interesting, keep us informed.... since the car’s BT isn’t usually an issue, might not help, but you never know with phones that have issues! :D

Yeah. Will keep you guys posted. My phones Bluetooth worked fine with other cars and my fitbit. It only seems to be certain cars cuz it didn't work with nissan either.

Hopefully it will connect to the transmitter properly.

So the transmitter I ordered works fine. Link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FQHZCT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

First time I used, got a lot of static. Changed the Fm channel and now its fairly clear. Definitely works for me. Still has a little bit of static when nothing is playing on my phone but more than usable for me. Of course its not for an audiophile.

I have only used it this morning so we shall see how long it works well enough.

I have a couple of Bluetooth devices from Amazon. One is a transmitter. They're cheap (about $20) and worth a try. Be sure they have the latest version (4?). You could run that out of your earphone jack. Awkward, but it may tide you over until you get a new phone!

Thanks for that.

The FM transmitter I'm using works fine to play music from my phone.

Problem is with calls. I can hear the other person fine but the other party keeps hearing echoes.

I know the thing to do is to switch phones.

Another option is something like the jabra Bluetooth speaker for cars. It's 83$ on Amazon. Not my thing.